STEP 6B: Examine other alternative ways to raise your testosterone naturally:
Many men with low testosterone do not want to immediately jump on testosterone therapy and with good reason. I personally have had a great experience overall, but not all men are so lucky. And it is also a fair amount of time and expense, etc. Anyway, for many reasons many men are looking for natural ways to increase their testosterone. See my page Fixing Your Testosterone With Natural Methods (Greater Than 25%) for some of the bigger gun methodologies to do that. And you'll also want to scan through this page where I include some of the strategies that are a little more "off the beaten path."
Below you will see that twenty years of research have given us abundant ways to boost testosterone. I would guess many of the things on this list will surprise you: they are the opposite of what most of the bodybuilding magazines and health food stores will tell you.
One caution that I have is that I tried for years to raise my testosterone through lifestyle changes, i.e. diet, sleep, supplements, etc., and nothing budged my testosterone. And I see this quite often on The Peak Testosterone Forum: some men seem to have actual damage to some part of their HPT (hypothalamus, pituitary and testes) axis. In those cases, going natural just does not work for reasons that we do no understand yet. Of course, it does not hurt to try, and I especially encourage the younger men to do that.
Did you know you can inexpensively do your own testing for many hormones? The industry leaders is Discounted Labs..
The bottom line is that it's easy for most of us to increase testosterone 10%-30% by having more frequent sex, sleeping more, lowering stress levels by life style changes (and 1500 mg of Vit C on a Low Fat Diet) and adopting a winning attitude (assuming you're not doing one of the deadly hormonal sins of drinking too much, being overweight or overtraining).
2) Agents Actions, Jun 1987,21(1-2):223-8
4) Jour Urol, 2007 Feb,177(2):651-4; Jour Clin Endocrin Metab 1990 Oct,71(4):929-31
5) J of Mens Health, Sep 2008, 5(1):S40-S45
6) Diabetes Care, 2005, 28:1636-1642
7) JJ Int Soc Sports Nutr,Oct 19 2007,4:13
8) Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, published online on January 27, 2009, Submitted on July 24, 2008, Accepted on January 15, 2009, "Effect of Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery on the Sex Steroids and Quality of Life in Obese Men", Ahmad Hammoud MD, MPH*, et.al.
9) J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 1995, 80(2):654-658
10) Arch Pharm Res, 2008, 31(1):83-87
11) Food Chem Toxicology, 2008, 46:270-279
12) Hormone Research, 1990, 34:215-218
13) J Ethnopharmacol, Oct 2005, 101(1-3):319 23;Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab, Sep 2000, 10(3):340 59
14) Urology, 2000 Apr,55(4):598-602
15) J of Ethnopharmacology, Jan 4 2005, 96(1-2):127-132
16) Francis Hayes, The results were presented at The Endocrine Society s 91st Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C. This was not published even online at the time of writing but was covered extensively in the health and medical press.
17) Clin Endocrinology, 2009, vol. 70(1)"116-123, "Effects of aromatase inhibition in hypogonadal older men : a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial"
18) http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/ PressAnnouncements/ucm152358.htm
19) The J of Strength & Conditioning Res, Aug 1998, 12(3), "Effects of Ascorbic Acid on Serum Cortisol and the Testosterone: Cortisol Ratio in Junior Elite Weightlifters"
20) Asian Journal of Andrology, 2006, 8:601 605, "The testosterone mimetic properties of icariin"
21) Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology 2009, 7:120, "The role and molecular mechanism of D-aspartic acid in the release and synthesis of LH and testosterone in humans and rats"
22) The FASEB Journal, 2000, 14:699-714, "Occurrence of D-aspartic acid and N-methyl-D-aspartic acid in rat neuroendocrine tissues and their role in the modulation of luteinizing hormone and growth hormone release"
23) The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 2008, 93(9):3510-3514, "The Type 5 Phosphodiesterase Inhibitor Tadalafil Influences Salivary Cortisol, Testosterone, and Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulphate Responses to Maximal Exercise in Healthy Men"
24) Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab, 2008 Apr, 18(2):131-41,"Dose effect of caffeine on testosterone and cortisol responses to resistance exercise"
25) Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 2008, 5:11 "The effects of phosphatidylserine on endocrine response to moderate intensity exercise"
27) Metabolism, Dec 1989, 38:1179-1182, "Stimulation of pituitary hormone secretion by neurotransmitter amino acids in humans"
30) Int J Androl, 2011 Dec, 34(6 Pt 2):e594-600, "Magnesium and anabolic hormones in older men"
31) Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 2008, 5:12, "An open label, dose response study to determine the effect of a dietary supplement on dihydrotestosterone, testosterone and estradiol levels in healthy males"
32) Anticancer Research, 1999, 19(3A):1849-53, "A comparison of the anticancer activities of dietary beta-carotene, canthaxanthin and astaxanthin in mice in vivo"
33) J Atheroscler Thromb. 2000;7(4):216-22, "Inhibition of low-density lipoprotein oxidation by astaxanthin"
34) Reproduction, May 1 2001, 121:803-808, "Enhancement of aromatase activity by D-aspartic acid in the ovary of the lizard Podarcis s. sicula"
35) J Endocrinol, Aug 1 2004, 182:365-376, "Testicular endocrine activity is upregulated by D-aspartic acid in the green frog, Rana esculenta"
36) Metabolism, Sep 1990, 39(9):897 901, "Visceralfat accumulation in men is positively associated with insulin, glucose, and C-peptide levels, but negatively with testosterone levels"
37) Obes Res, 1995 Nov, 3 Suppl 4:609S-612S, "Testosterone and regional fat distribution"
38) Biol Trace Elem Res, 2011, 140:18-23, "Levels of Magnesium Supplementation on Testosterone Levels of Athletes and Sedentary Subjects at Rest and After Exhaustion"
40) Eur J Appl Physiol, 2013 Jul, 113(7):1783-92, "Effect of acute DHEA administration on free testosterone in middle-aged and young men following high-intensity interval training.