Please discuss everything with your doctor first. | Research-Backed Erectile Supplements
|Can't figure out the cause of your E.D.? Check out these 15 Natural Cures.|
|Combine supplements for max erectile strength? Go with This Approach.|
Now here is what should make us all pause and reflect societally and otherwise. Consider some of the factors that can damage the prefrontal cortex according to the research:
1. Physical Trauma. A blow to the head, especially during childhood. 
2. Cortisol. It is well-know that elevated cortisol levels, such as those in patients with PTSD and/or depression, can literally unhook neurons and shrink the hippocampus. However, one groundbreaking 2010 study found evidence that elevated cortisol was also associated with atrophy of prefrontal tissues as well. 
3. Alzheimer's. If you've been on a typical Western Diet for very long, then the typical plaques and tangles of Alzheimer's have been accumulating in your brain due to elevated inflammation and other factors. As the decades roll by, the damage begins to manifest itself in the typical signs of dementia that we associated with Alzheimer's. But it's important to note that you can have substantial plaques and tangles before you really start to reach "critical mass" and exhibit symptoms. One 2010 study showed a correlation between the damage of Alzheimer's and "prefrontal volume."  This means that Alzheimers leads to a shrinkage of the prefrontal cortex.
So, yes, every morning you should wake up and ask yourself, "What am I doing to my poor brain?" Do you want to be one of those grumpy, old guys that no one wants to be around and that embarasses himself much of the time?
Furthermore, there is a sobering study out there that shows that healthy people can potentially be shifted toward psychopathology through frontal lobe damage.  Of course, I am not saying that damaging your frontal/prefrontal regions is going to automatically turn anyone into a serial killer. But let's be honest: damage to the brain has consequences. It has consequences to our behaviors, our relationships and our careers. Again, this is yet another reason to carefully guard and protect your gray matter.
Another question should be asked as well: "Why is it that so many psychopaths come from unspeakably awful family backgrounds?" Well, the jury is still out, but one possible explanation is that extreme childhood stress, and its ensuing elevated cortisol levels, leads to a permanently damaged and defective brain in the prefrontal and paralimbic regions. There are undoubtedly genetic, hormonal - there are many fewer females psychopaths and females do not move to psychopathology as easily - and neurological factors as well of course.
Are you in a toxic, highly stressful or abusive relationship? If so, you need to find a way to reduce your physiological stress reaction. Are you depressed? Are you suffering from sleep deprivation or apnea? Again, do what you have to do: you've only got so much gray and white matter and there is no uglier example than that of a psychopath to remind us of that fact.
1) Scientific American Mind, "Inside the Mind of a Psychopath", Sep/Oct 2010, p. 28.
2) ) Scientific American Mind, "Inside the Mind of a Psychopath", Sep/Oct 2010, p. 27.
3) Biological Psychiatry, Nov 1 2001, 50(9):677-684, "Limbic abnormalities in affective processing by criminal psychopaths as revealed by functional magnetic resonance imaging"
4) Biological Psychiatry, May 15 2005, 57(10):1103-1108, "Volume Reduction in Prefrontal Gray Matter in Unsuccessful Criminal Psychopaths"
6) Neuroimage, 2010 Nov 15, 53(3):1093-102, Epub 2010 Feb 13, "Salivary cortisol and prefrontal cortical thickness in middle-aged men: A twin study"
7) Neurobiology of Aging, Nov 1999, 20(6):591-596, "Sex differences in prefrontal volume with aging and Alzheimer’s disease"
8) Cognitive and Behavioral Neurology, July 2000, 13(3)"The Relation Between Tendency for Psychopathology and Reduced Frontal Brain Volume in Healthy People"
|Best Health Books|
|WHAT LOW T DOES:|