Quantcast

Author Topic: How I Lowered My High SHBG  (Read 1997 times)

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
How I Lowered My High SHBG
« on: August 02, 2016, 06:21:12 pm »
SHBG level on 12/2/2015 – 95 nmol/L (range 10 - 50)

SHBG level on 6/18/2016 – 51  nmol/L (range 19.3 – 76.4)

I am one of those rare individuals that have to deal with super high SHBG.   From what I understand most folks are trying to fight too low SHBG.  But my SHBG was so high that my total T levels were a healthy 617.  But my free T levels were lower normal at  8.5 pg/mL (range 7.2 – 24) 

Over the course of 6 months between labs I have gone from almost double the upper range for SHBG to well within range.   I have looked back and I could find only 3 changes that could account for this reduction.

1. I started TRT on  4/11/2016.  So I had been on TRT for 2 months when the labs were taken.
2. I made some dietary changes, reducing the amount of meat and dairy I eat and increased the amount of vegetables.
3. These measurements came from two different labs.  The first lab was Quest.  The 6/18 measure was from Labcorp.  Notice the different ranges. 

My best guess is that it was the TRT that made the biggest difference.  I doubt that diet would have that big of an impact.  The Quest vs. Labcorp factor is a wildcard.  I am not sure how much that would factor into it.  I could see where two different labs could have differing normal ranges.  But I would think that the absolute number of nmol/L should come out pretty close to the same at both labs. 

From what I understand I am very lucky.  Apparently it is not that easy or common to lower a high SHBG.

I would be interested in hearing what the crowd think of these results. 
Do labs vary that much between them on the same measurements?  Do you agree that it was probably the TRT that made the big difference?   
Protocol: 40mg T Cyp 3x/week, 300 IU hCG 3x/week, 50mg DHEA + 50mg Pregnenalone daily.
1/2017 test results: TT: 1152 ng/dL (348-1197), FT: 23.7 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 22.0 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0)

Cataceous

• View Profile
Re: How I Lowered My High SHBG
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 07:09:49 pm »
Based on what PeakT has said it would be really surprising if TRT gave you that kind of reduction. I'm inclined to be a little suspicious of the high reading from Quest. My own measurements didn't budge after starting TRT. It's been 41-44 nmol/L every time. These include both Quest and LabCorp results.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T enanthate subQ qod, 270 IU hCG subQ qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid
9/2016 test results: TT: 750 ng/dL (348-1197), FT: 22 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 50 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0), DHEA-S: 255 ug/dL (71.6-375.4)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 07:09:49 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 11:08:22 pm »

I am one of those rare individuals that have to deal with super high SHBG.   From what I understand most folks are trying to fight too low SHBG.  But my SHBG was so high that my total T levels were a healthy 617.  But my free T levels were lower normal at  8.5 pg/mL (range 7.2 – 24) 

Over the course of 6 months between labs I have gone from almost double the upper range for SHBG to well within range.   I have looked back and I could find only 3 changes that could account for this reduction.

1. I started TRT on  4/11/2016.  So I had been on TRT for 2 months when the labs were taken.
2. I made some dietary changes, reducing the amount of meat and dairy I eat and increased the amount of vegetables.
3. These measurements came from two different labs.  The first lab was Quest.  The 6/18 measure was from Labcorp.  Notice the different ranges. 

My best guess is that it was the TRT that made the biggest difference.  I doubt that diet would have that big of an impact.  The Quest vs. Labcorp factor is a wildcard.  I am not sure how much that would factor into it.  I could see where two different labs could have differing normal ranges.  But I would think that the absolute number of nmol/L should come out pretty close to the same at both labs. 

From what I understand I am very lucky.  Apparently it is not that easy or common to lower a high SHBG.

Do labs vary that much between them on the same measurements?  Do you agree that it was probably the TRT that made the big difference?
Wow.  Well, that is a huge drop.

By any chance were cutting back on calories or doing anything that would make life easier on your liver?  Any DHEA?
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements. Yes, low T and E.D. are usually medical conditions.  There are potential risk with HRT:  http://www.peaktestosterone.com/testosterone_risks.aspx.
My Health History: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/My_Health_Story.aspx.
And check out my new Peak Testosterone Program on the right side of my home page: http://www.peaktestosterone.com.

Anemos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 12:54:58 am »

I'm quite interested in this, since your situation is (was) very similar to mine. I think it's probably the TRT, but I'd like to see results from the same lab as well.

As far as diet goes, I've been eating 99% greens and dairy for a year now, SHBG never budged a bit.

Did you always have that high SHBG?

1Draw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 04:14:20 am »
Based on what PeakT has said it would be really surprising if TRT gave you that kind of reduction. I'm inclined to be a little suspicious of the high reading from Quest. My own measurements didn't budge after starting TRT. It's been 41-44 nmol/L every time. These include both Quest and LabCorp results.

My understanding is that when T levels increase, SHBG levels decrease for us high SHBG guys.  My labs support this.  Here are some examples:

DATE:                TOTAL T:          FREE T:        SHBG:
1/12/16                  785                 10.2           104
4/14/16                 1206                18.2             65
6/09/16                 1299                23.2             78

All blood test done at Labcorp.  Did notice a slight jump in SHBG from 4/14 to 6/09 however, my free t jumped as well.  Went from 1.3% of T on 1/12 to
1.8% on 6/09.   

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 04:14:20 am »

PLEASE SUPPORT THE SITE AND GIVE AN AMAZON REVIEW IF POSSIBLE:

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 08:09:18 pm »

My understanding is that when T levels increase, SHBG levels decrease for us high SHBG guys.  My labs support this.  Here are some examples:

All blood test done at Labcorp.  Did notice a slight jump in SHBG from 4/14 to 6/09 however, my free t jumped as well.  Went from 1.3% of T on 1/12 to
1.8% on 6/09.

That is a pretty dramatic change as well.  Maybe it is the TRT. 

@cataceous:  I had another draw from Quest back in Aug 2015.  It was 66 (range 10-50).  Not as high as 95 but still pretty high. 

@Anemos:  I don't know if I have always been high, but most of my readings before the latest one were pretty elevated. 

@Peak:  Can't think of any other changes that would affect the liver.  I was taking DHEA the whole time.  But I did switch from OTC DHEA and pregnenalone to the stuff that Defy gives out.  Other than that my meds were the same.  I definitely was not losing weight.  Wasn't gaining either. 
Protocol: 40mg T Cyp 3x/week, 300 IU hCG 3x/week, 50mg DHEA + 50mg Pregnenalone daily.
1/2017 test results: TT: 1152 ng/dL (348-1197), FT: 23.7 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 22.0 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 08:02:33 am »

1.8% on 6/09.

That is a pretty dramatic change as well.  Maybe it is the TRT. 

@cataceous:  I had another draw from Quest back in Aug 2015.  It was 66 (range 10-50).  Not as high as 95 but still pretty high. 

@Anemos:  I don't know if I have always been high, but most of my readings before the latest one were pretty elevated. 

@Peak:  Can't think of any other changes that would affect the liver.  I was taking DHEA the whole time.  But I did switch from OTC DHEA and pregnenalone to the stuff that Defy gives out.  Other than that my meds were the same.  I definitely was not losing weight.  Wasn't gaining either.

Got it.  Well, not to sound like an AA meeting, but "thx for sharing."
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements. Yes, low T and E.D. are usually medical conditions.  There are potential risk with HRT:  http://www.peaktestosterone.com/testosterone_risks.aspx.
And check out my new Peak Testosterone Program on the right side of my home page: http://www.peaktestosterone.com.

JustAskin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 11:58:41 am »
When I went to see Dr. Shippen on my First visit, before taking Testosterone my SHBG was 56, after 6 months on TRT, even shippen was amazed my SHBG was 30.
So TRT is what did mine.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 11:58:41 am »

Dr Justin Saya, MD

• View Profile
    • Defy Medical
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 12:20:29 pm »
When I went to see Dr. Shippen on my First visit, before taking Testosterone my SHBG was 56, after 6 months on TRT, even shippen was amazed my SHBG was 30.
So TRT is what did mine.

Indeed, have seen it countless times especially with TRT+HCG.
Lead Physician & Medical Director
http://www.defymedical.com

NOTE: Comments on this forum are NOT medical advice and are no substitute for individualized patient care. Comments on this forum do not constitute or establish a physician-patient relationship. Please consult your personal physician prior to initiating or changing ANY treatment regimen.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 02:56:33 pm »
Aahhh, the wonders of (physiological) T!

Cronos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 04:16:38 pm »
I have yet to get it to budge so that's incredible.

No real explanation for the change? I've looked for things to drop SHBG but so far I have nothing!
“ALL I’M TRYING TO DO IS WIPE OUT HEART DISEASE, DIABETES, HYPERTENSION, AND OBESITY.” -Nathan Pritikin

Current protocol:

Supps:1500 mg vitamin c
4000 iu vitamin d
1000 mcg b-12
25mg zinc
Fish oil
4 TBS flax seed
1 TBS vinegar

Ornish lifestyle (very low fat diet, 1 hr exercise, 15 min meditation

Age 24
Used to be 165 now 150
Glucose 80 mg/dl
Creatinine 0.93 mg/dl
Cholesterol 128 mg/dl
HDL cholesterol 49 mg/dl
Triglycerides 42 mg/dl
LDL cholesterol 71
Vitamin D 106 ng/ml

Testosterone 641 ng/dl

Free testosterone 12.1 pg/ml range 9-26 former level converted 8.5 ng/dl
TSH 1.5

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 07:14:04 pm »
I have yet to get it to budge so that's incredible.

No real explanation for the change? I've looked for things to drop SHBG but so far I have nothing!

Yeah, I had tried tart cherry extract and one other herb that I can't remember right now.  Those did absolutely nothing.

hydro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 03:15:27 am »
Hi!
I just found this thread as I searched for "high SHBG". My SHBG is also around 90 (17-66), my free T is 8 (10.7-41.2) and my total T is 3.76 (2.41-8.27) ng/ml. I just received these results after 2.5 weeks on 50mg T-Gel, so it did not help. I have depression / anxiety plus depersonalization/derealization. An endo-doctor told me that my total T is fine and that free T is unreliable and he wouldnt know reasons for the high SHBG.

So you seem to have a similar "combination". Do you also suffer from depression/anxiety?
Thx

blackbjl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 08:35:13 am »
For you all that have high SHBG, what injection protocol works best for you?
And do you prefer SubQ or IM?

thanks
Jason
Height: 6'2"
weight:190lbs
100mg Test CYP IM Weekly

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 08:43:37 am »
Hi!
I just found this thread as I searched for "high SHBG". My SHBG is also around 90 (17-66), my free T is 8 (10.7-41.2) and my total T is 3.76 (2.41-8.27) ng/ml. I just received these results after 2.5 weeks on 50mg T-Gel, so it did not help. I have depression / anxiety plus depersonalization/derealization. An endo-doctor told me that my total T is fine and that free T is unreliable and he wouldnt know reasons for the high SHBG.

So you seem to have a similar "combination". Do you also suffer from depression/anxiety?
Thx

You can calculate your Free testosterone using total testosterone and SH BG. Do you know how to do this?

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 08:43:37 am »