Quantcast

Author Topic: Has Pregnenolone or Progesterone Changed Your Glucose Levels?  (Read 893 times)

Light

• View Profile
Has Pregnenolone or Progesterone Changed Your Glucose Levels?
« on: November 02, 2016, 09:55:10 am »
Just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

My Progesterone tested low at .28 (.22 - 1.4) along with my AM Cortisol 8.1 (4-22). We (my Dr. and I) decided to try Pregnenolone. I used the Biomatrix liquid type - 100 mgs per day. I had good results the first week - then things went a bit sideways. We are backing off the dose and going to try again.

Anyways, my Fasting Glucose always comes in around 83-87. After 3 weeks on the Pregnenolone it shot up to 95-104. My diet (Paleo/Primal) has not changed. I don't believe my Natural Cortisol has kicked in much yet, as I still get some low cortisol symptoms that HC quickly banishes. I have not used the Pregnenolone for 4 days now, and my glucose has remained elevated.

I have read that women experience increased Glucose levels when pregnant, and it is thought to be related to the large increase in Progesterone. It goes away when Progesterone returns to normal.

Perhaps the Pregnenolone converted to Progesterone, and the Progesterone is raising Glucose levels.

Anyone else experience this on Pregnenolone or Progesterone supplementation?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:17:34 am by PeakT »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Has Pregnenolone or Progesterone Changed Your Glucose Levels?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 11:18:47 am »
Just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

My Progesterone tested low at .28 (.22 - 1.4) along with my AM Cortisol 8.1 (4-22). We (my Dr. and I) decided to try Pregnenolone. I used the Biomatrix liquid type - 100 mgs per day. I had good results the first week - then things went a bit sideways. We are backing off the dose and going to try again.

Anyways, my Fasting Glucose always comes in around 83-87. After 3 weeks on the Pregnenolone it shot up to 95-104. My diet (Paleo/Primal) has not changed. I don't believe my Natural Cortisol has kicked in much yet, as I still get some low cortisol symptoms that HC quickly banishes. I have not used the Pregnenolone for 4 days now, and my glucose has remained elevated.

I have read that women experience increased Glucose levels when pregnant, and it is thought to be related to the large increase in Progesterone. It goes away when Progesterone returns to normal.

Perhaps the Pregnenolone converted to Progesterone, and the Progesterone is raising Glucose levels.

Anyone else experience this on Pregnenolone or Progesterone supplementation?

Mine has improved since stating pregnenolone and DHEA or at least my A1C has gone down.  I don't think that is due to the pregnenolone and DHEA though.
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements. Yes, low T and E.D. are usually medical conditions.  There are potential risk with HRT:  http://www.peaktestosterone.com/testosterone_risks.aspx.
My Health History: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/My_Health_Story.aspx.
And check out my new Peak Testosterone Program on the right side of my home page: http://www.peaktestosterone.com.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 11:18:47 am »

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 06:21:42 pm »

I don't believe my Natural Cortisol has kicked in much yet, as I still get some low cortisol symptoms that HC quickly banishes. I have not used the Pregnenolone for 4 days now, and my glucose has remained elevated.

HC raises glucose levels.  Not sure if it has long enough half life to affect fasting glucose levels.  But it will affect blood glucose.
Protocol: 35mg T Cyp 3x/week, 300 IU hCG 3x/week, 50mg DHEA + 50mg Pregnenalone daily.
1/2017 test results: TT: 1152 ng/dL (348-1197), FT: 23.7 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 22.0 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 07:28:23 pm »

I don't believe my Natural Cortisol has kicked in much yet, as I still get some low cortisol symptoms that HC quickly banishes. I have not used the Pregnenolone for 4 days now, and my glucose has remained elevated.

HC raises glucose levels.  Not sure if it has long enough half life to affect fasting glucose levels.  But it will affect blood glucose.

Thanks for adding that Joe.

I have seen just 5mg of Hydrocortisone bump up my glucose by about 10 points. (if a reading is taken about 30 mins afterwards).

This is for sure a bit different though. I have not went in for a Progesterone test - but I would bet it is high. (all that Pregnenolone had to go somewhere).

I have always had fasting Glucose in the mid 80's. 2 mornings ago it was 104 - which is just a bit too high for me.

I think the Progesterone may be doing it - as I have read a bit about Women having High Glucose issues when their Progesterone increases during their cycle, as well as when they are pregnant. It is possible that it could occur with men as well.

I will monitor it and report back anything significant. (In case anyone else has a concern when supplementing Pregnenolone)

One thing to think about:

If you have healthy and reasonable levels of cortisol but high glucose, then maybe the root cause is not hormonal?
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements. Yes, low T and E.D. are usually medical conditions.  There are potential risk with HRT:  http://www.peaktestosterone.com/testosterone_risks.aspx.
My Health History: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/My_Health_Story.aspx.
And check out my new Peak Testosterone Program on the right side of my home page: http://www.peaktestosterone.com.

RoyAl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 08:05:47 pm »

I'm a newbie so just some thoughts on Pregnenolone as I'm starting to experiment with it.

The type you took is micronized which might have different impact than the normal oral pregnenolone. That is, does it actually convert that much to progesterone? Pregnenolone also has its own impact on the brain, so who knows where it goes.  Than again, if it is converted some to progesterone and then it impacts estradiol, which would make some difference on the thyroid, which then would have impact on glucose levels and all.

I've been trying lately the micronized preg. and it does not seem to have the same "uplifting" impact of the normal preg, though it might be just placebo.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 08:05:47 pm »

PLEASE SUPPORT THE SITE AND GIVE AN AMAZON REVIEW IF POSSIBLE: