Quantcast

Author Topic: Low Testosterone and Depression  (Read 1360 times)

NickZ

• View Profile
Low Testosterone and Depression
« on: January 19, 2017, 10:56:02 pm »
I understand that depression can be a symptom of low testosterone and I read that low testosterone may contribute to low serotonin levels.  It's that chicken or the egg thing again on what came first: low serotonin or low testosterone.

So the question is what do you try to treat first?

Kierkegaard

• Hormone Shrink
    • View Profile
Re: Low Testosterone and Depression
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 11:18:40 pm »
I understand that depression can be a symptom of low testosterone and I read that low testosterone may contribute to low serotonin levels.  It's that chicken or the egg thing again on what came first: low serotonin or low testosterone.

A pragmatic approach would probably be to see which type of hypogonadism you have relative to how old you are.  If you have secondary hypogonadism, meaning low LH and/or FSH levels, and you're under forty or so, then something's going on to suppress LH/FSH and possibly GnRH which stimulates these two hormones.  Chronic stress would be a huge umbrella of possibilities for suppression of these hormones, and could range from a chronic infection to poor thyroid functioning (which involves high norepinephrine, etc.), insulin resistance/diabetes, or chronic psychological stress.  Neuroendocrinologist Robert Sapolsky says that during surgery, the moment an incision is made GnRH/LH/FSH drop to close to zero -- all from such a seemingly insignificant stressor as an incision! 

There are also three types of depression along the neurotransmitter lines, and plenty of controversy in medical communities as to which is more predominate with depression: low serotonin (leading to obsessive thoughts/ruminative type depression), low norepinephrine (low energy type depression), and low dopamine (low pleasure/motivation type depression).  There's also a potential danger of just flooding the brain with serotonin by inhibiting reuptake via an SSRI, *even if* you have low-serotonin type depression (which could in a direct or indirect way be influencing testosterone levels), given that serotonin and dopamine work against one another, meaning you could lower your dopamine levels as serotonin goes up, causing more balancing problems. 

I'd say find the root cause behind low T and depression, but that's way easier said than done. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:54:58 am by Kierkegaard »
"The same thing that makes you live can kill you in the end." -- Neil Young

March 2014: Dx low T (158ng/dl)
September 2015: Dx hypothyroidism, other adrenal hypofunction/low cortisol
Treatment: 30-35 mg cypionate subq E3D, 50 mcg levothyroxine QD; adaptogens
Supplements: fish oil, vitamin D3, magnesium, copper (low in serum), DIM, coq10, B vitamins (including hydroxyb12), probiotic, astaxanthin, iodine
Depression and anxiety guide: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Help_Anxiety_Depression.aspx

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 11:18:40 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 12:22:39 am »

Treating low testosterone will often get rid of the depression or a good part of it.  I had mild depression my entire adult life and TRT got rid of it almost overnight.  Can't promise that for everyone but it happens quite often on here.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Sean Mosher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 07:44:50 am »
Agree with what PeakT said.
I had no motivation, no energy and felt terrible which I think obviously contributed to a period of depression for me.
After having been on TRT awhile that just isn't the case anymore.
I'm sure TRT doesn't fix every case of depression, but often it does especially in cases of hormonal imbalances.
Patient Liaison
http://www.PrimeBody.com (CODE: PEAKTVIP for 10% Discount)
[Site Sponsor]

NOTE: Comments on this forum are NOT medical advice and are no substitute for individualized patient care. Please consult your personal physician prior to initiating or changing ANY treatment regimen.

NickZ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 03:03:59 pm »
Thank you Kierkegaard, Peak T, and Sean. I have been pretty much non functional this
entire week. I developed tinnitus (probably caused by sleep medications) which has made my sleep worse, morning erections almost non existent (some mild, but not rock hard) and I just feel in the tank and can't think straight. I'm waking up constantly and can't tell if the tinnitus is waking me up, but it's definitely making it more difficult to fall back asleep.

I have zero motivation and depression is worse. I don't feel a thing. I'm finally considering TRT. I'm not doing the SSRI thing.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 03:03:59 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 05:41:02 pm »
Thank you Kierkegaard, Peak T, and Sean. I have been pretty much non functional this
entire week. I developed tinnitus (probably caused by sleep medications) which has made my sleep worse, morning erections almost non existent (some mild, but not rock hard) and I just feel in the tank and can't think straight. I'm waking up constantly and can't tell if the tinnitus is waking me up, but it's definitely making it more difficult to fall back asleep.

I have zero motivation and depression is worse. I don't feel a thing. I'm finally considering TRT. I'm not doing the SSRI thing.

Timnitus can be related to insulin resistance and pde5 inhibitors.

Boosting testosterone will usually help lower insulin levels and prevent prediabetes.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 05:50:05 pm »

Let us know what you decide.

Chris81

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 08:37:28 pm »

My testosterone is on the lower end (350). Pregnonelone and 5-htp eliminated my anxiety and depression and gave me an energy boost. I did get my testosterone levels up while being on Clomid but it didnt help my mental health much.

https://selfhacked.com/2016/04/17/top-11-scientific-health-benefits-pregnenolone-including-drawbacks/

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 08:37:28 pm »

PLEASE SUPPORT THE SITE AND GIVE AN AMAZON REVIEW IF POSSIBLE:

Boxcar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 09:15:37 am »
It is a chicken-and-egg sort of thing.  But from a practical standpoint, it is probably easier to boost a guy's mood with testosterone than it is to boost his testosterone by improving mood.

Fixing testosterone is pretty straightforward (even if many doctors manage to screw it up) but fixing depression is not.
178 lbs 5'8''

Current Treatment: 50 mg testosterone cypionate IM, twice a week
Low T Symptoms: Chronic pelvic pain, and other neuropathic pain.  Mild anxiety, low energy and low motivation
Meds: Amitriptyline (for pain, not depression), Clonidine (for sleep, not blood pressure)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 09:15:37 am »