Quantcast

Poll

Is there a link between Low T and allergies?

Yeah
5 (100%)
Nope
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Link between allergies and Low Testosterone?  (Read 2097 times)

JA1972JGA

• View Profile
Link between allergies and Low Testosterone?
« on: June 18, 2017, 12:48:47 am »
Hi,

Over the past few years I have had Low T as tested by local GP.

The obvious question is, "what is causing it?"

I follow most of the good health and fitness advice, exercise frequently, don't smoke, don't drink, sleep 7hrs, eat a reasonably healthy diet etc etc.  In a recent work survey for healthy living I scored 18/20. Others around me scored as low as 3!!!! Yet I feel dreadful.

When I say dreadful I mean,

Foggy headed
Tired
Short of breath
Aches and Pains
Nausea
Fatigue

My legs burn walking up 2 flights of stairs!

Yet I can run a 10k, cycle 100miles etc.

Someone suggested allergies. Can allergies cause low T? As far as I know, the body creates histamine when a foreign body etc gets near. If too much histamine is produced then a reaction is caused. I don't get watery eyes runny nose etc. Although the sinuses area can sometimes become painful.

I am currently taking tostran gel 3 squirts. And recently started an indian herbal potion for the presumed allergies. Will give it 2 weeks to see if any changes.......

Recent tests,

October 2016, Low T approx 200
January 2017, in range, 650 (felt great/ normal!)
April 2017, Low T 200

Between October and January I had been on 3 squirts gel, and low dose of anti-depressant/anti-anxiety pill, but the latter played havoc with my sex life and therefore stopped them. Anyone comment on the use of these and Low T?

Frustrated, Tired, and sore

J
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:21:29 am by PeakT »

Kierkegaard

• Hormone Shrink
    • View Profile
Re: Link between allergies and Low Testosterone?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 03:41:03 am »
It's complicated.  Allergies cause inflammatory responses in your body, and testosterone is a highly antiinflammatory chemical.  I often notice that during allergy season I'll feel better with higher levels of testosterone than lower, presumably for this reason.  OTOH, inflammation is a form of stress, which lowers GnRH and LH, causing lower testosterone, but it's doubtful (unless you have something like mast cell activation syndrome or mastocytosis -- or multiple food allergies and seasonal allergies) that seasonal allergies by themselves would cause low testosterone. 

But then there's estrogen, which can increase histamine.  And in turn, histamine can increase estrogen.  Many times when people have low testosterone, this can be because high estradiol (the most potent estrogen) is "sucking up" bioavailable testosterone, and is also causing an increase in histamine release. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:21:51 am by PeakT »
"The same thing that makes you live can kill you in the end." -- Neil Young

March 2014: Dx low T (158ng/dl)
September 2015: Dx hypothyroidism, other adrenal hypofunction/low cortisol
Treatment: 30-35 mg cypionate subq E3D, 50 mcg levothyroxine QD; adaptogens
Supplements: fish oil, vitamin D3, magnesium, copper (low in serum), DIM, coq10, B vitamins (including hydroxyb12), probiotic, astaxanthin, iodine
Depression and anxiety guide: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Help_Anxiety_Depression.aspx

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 03:41:03 am »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 08:28:48 am »
Hi,

Over the past few years I have had Low T as tested by local GP.

The obvious question is, "what is causing it?"

I follow most of the good health and fitness advice, exercise frequently, don't smoke, don't drink, sleep 7hrs, eat a reasonably healthy diet etc etc.  In a recent work survey for healthy living I scored 18/20. Others around me scored as low as 3!!!! Yet I feel dreadful.

When I say dreadful I mean,

Foggy headed
Tired
Short of breath
Aches and Pains
Nausea
Fatigue

My legs burn walking up 2 flights of stairs!

Yet I can run a 10k, cycle 100miles etc.

Someone suggested allergies. Can allergies cause low T? As far as I know, the body creates histamine when a foreign body etc gets near. If too much histamine is produced then a reaction is caused. I don't get watery eyes runny nose etc. Although the sinuses area can sometimes become painful.

I am currently taking tostran gel 3 squirts. And recently started an indian herbal potion for the presumed allergies. Will give it 2 weeks to see if any changes.......

Recent tests,

October 2016, Low T approx 200
January 2017, in range, 650 (felt great/ normal!)
April 2017, Low T 200

Between October and January I had been on 3 squirts gel, and low dose of anti-depressant/anti-anxiety pill, but the latter played havoc with my sex life and therefore stopped them. Anyone comment on the use of these and Low T?

Frustrated, Tired, and sore

J

I can't think of a study that links low testosterone and allergies.  However, it  wouldn't surprise me because testosterone does lower inflammatory messengers in some tissues which is something I discuss here :

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Inflammation.aspx

My personal opinion is that gut health is the key and the reason that we have so many allergies and autoimmune diseases here in the US.  How do you heal your gut? Again in my opinion the only way is to go on a high fiber whole foods finally plant-based diet.  Plant foods are packed with anti-inflammatories and that fiber that you're good needs so badly.  I personally get rid of all my allergies and sinus infections through cleaning up my diet and I had severe allergies as a kid and nonstop sinus infections as a young adult.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Please help me

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 11:17:20 am »
While I have very little knowledge on the topic, it seems highly possible that if you constantly are eating foods you are allergic to, your body's autoimmune response against the foods and other reasons could cause low grade inflammation and lower testosterone maybe a little bit. If you are unsure if your body is in a state of inflammation, you could always get a C-reactive protein test and follow it up with a cytokines panel if the crp comes back high.
Chronic tiredness (could fall asleep at anytime)

Libido and erection quality go bath and forth
(some days I cant get very hard at all, somedays are much better)

Libido and erection quality dont seem to be related, there have been days when ive had no libido and great erections and others when I have had great libido and trouble getting hard

18 years old
6 '1 18% BF
Test: 270

Asymptomatic crohns, possible leaky gut
Heavy meat eater and low iron doesnt make sense.

Osteocalcin; 58 (9-38)
Prolactin 30 (5-16)
No pit tumors or prolactinoma

1 working kidney (born with multicystic kidney)

Ferritin 40 (30-464)

JA1972JGA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 01:45:56 pm »
Thanks all. It would appear that Low T is not good for a number of reasons. I suspect that over training on bike or running hasn't helped. Or more importantly under-resting between training. Estradiol comes up often, and I'd asked my GP to test this previously to no avail. I will push this again.

Another resistance that comes up is allergy testing. GPs reluctant for some reason. Again, I will push for this.

In January my levels were v good. What was I doing different? Red wine intake for one. The French diet is an intrigue. Shouldn't work but it does. Garlic, onion, red wine, and smoking!!! Solved. Oh, and id stopped training!!

Any links to good plant based high fibre diets?

Already moved my diet to lots of salad leaves rocket, greens, limited carbs etc.

James

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 01:45:56 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 06:06:15 pm »
While I have very little knowledge on the topic, it seems highly possible that if you constantly are eating foods you are allergic to, your body's autoimmune response against the foods and other reasons could cause low grade inflammation and lower testosterone maybe a little bit. If you are unsure if your body is in a state of inflammation, you could always get a C-reactive protein test and follow it up with a cytokines panel if the crp comes back high.

My personal experience - and I emphasize this is not based on any research summary but just my own exerpience - is the opposite.  I was not always like this, but I can now eat any food I want - well, any whole food based plant food.  I believe that things like gut inflammation, gut permiability and other issues LEAD to allergies but go away slowly with time as you bathe the small and large intestine with fiber, proper nutrients, anti-inflammatories and avoid things like heme iron.

Anyway, I won't go on about that cuzz most guys don't want to hear about it, but that's been my personal experience.  I used to think I had protein allergies, nut allergies - you name it.  But they slowly went away with time.  And I no longer have a Bermuda allergy which was the nastiest of all.

If you do just a little reading on the gut and all the research that is pouring out of the labs on the subject, you'll see I'm definitely on the right track with being zealous abuot this.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 07:57:19 pm »

My personal experience - and I emphasize this is not based on any research summary but just my own exerpience - is the opposite.  I was not always like this, but I can now eat any food I want - well, any whole food based plant food.  I believe that things like gut inflammation, gut permiability and other issues LEAD to allergies but go away slowly with time as you bathe the small and large intestine with fiber, proper nutrients, anti-inflammatories and avoid things like heme iron.

From what I have read, it's not that you are eating plant based or not that can lead to leaky gut.  Healing the gut is more of a matter of  avoiding those foods that you react to.  There are many plant foods that have loads of fiber and nutrients, yet wreak horrible havoc in some people's guts.  Stuff like Soy products, beans, nuts, some fruits, grains and starchy foods.  One of the more common gut healing protocols is called the low FODMAP diet.  This diet eliminates scads of plant type foods and fruits but allows as much fat and meat as you want.   There is another diet called SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) that takes a similar approach as the FODMAP diet. 

In my own case, just going on TRT has made a world of improvement to my allergies.  I was just marveling the other day how few Zyrteks I have had to use this year. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:01:11 pm by Joe Sixpack »
Protocol: 35mg T Cyp 3x/week, 300 IU hCG 3x/week, 50mg DHEA + 50mg Pregnenalone daily.
1/2017 test results: TT: 1152 ng/dL (348-1197), FT: 23.7 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 22.0 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 08:31:52 am »

From what I have read, it's not that you are eating plant based or not that can lead to leaky gut.  Healing the gut is more of a matter of  avoiding those foods that you react to.  There are many plant foods that have loads of fiber and nutrients, yet wreak horrible havoc in some people's guts.  Stuff like Soy products, beans, nuts, some fruits, grains and starchy foods.  One of the more common gut healing protocols is called the low FODMAP diet.  This diet eliminates scads of plant type foods and fruits but allows as much fat and meat as you want.   There is another diet called SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) that takes a similar approach as the FODMAP diet. 

In my own case, just going on TRT has made a world of improvement to my allergies.  I was just marveling the other day how few Zyrteks I have had to use this year.

I'm glad you brought that up as the FODMAP diet has helped a few guys on here.  And I am all for allergy-related testing as you know.  I was strictly relating my own personal story that, as far as I can tell, I was able to completely heal myself of all food sensitivities and even pollen allergiess by being very strict with my diet.  And I don't mean strict in the sense of unpleasurable but rather disciplined.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 08:31:52 am »

PLEASE SUPPORT THE SITE AND GIVE AN AMAZON REVIEW IF POSSIBLE:

JakeH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 09:28:39 am »
I guess I should have read this post before I voted, as my experience went the other direction. Ever since getting my T in range, my allergies went away. I no longer have to take allergy medicine everyday, in addition to nasal spray during the high season.

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 06:14:41 pm »

I'm glad you brought that up as the FODMAP diet has helped a few guys on here.  And I am all for allergy-related testing as you know.  I was strictly relating my own personal story that, as far as I can tell, I was able to completely heal myself of all food sensitivities and even pollen allergiess by being very strict with my diet.  And I don't mean strict in the sense of unpleasurable but rather disciplined.
Gotcha Peak. 
Protocol: 35mg T Cyp 3x/week, 300 IU hCG 3x/week, 50mg DHEA + 50mg Pregnenalone daily.
1/2017 test results: TT: 1152 ng/dL (348-1197), FT: 23.7 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 22.0 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0)

JA1972JGA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 02:43:14 am »
 :)

4-0 to the 'AYES' . . . . . . . .

I also note on occasion that my tostran gel medication provides me with a very bright red rash on my stomach on occasion - ie an allergy reaction.  Does anyone else get this?

I am also awaiting latest test results . . . . . . have been on the gel for 3 years now but don't think that the results are as good.  Docs continue NOT to test Estridol (might be wrong spelling), and given what I have read, high E is not good.  Any tips on how I get this tested?

Best Regards

James

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 02:43:14 am »