Quantcast

Author Topic: Low T / Low FSH / Normal LH - what are my options? (beginner)  (Read 1745 times)

teep

• View Profile
Low T / Low FSH / Normal LH - what are my options? (beginner)
« on: August 04, 2017, 07:36:14 am »
Hi all,

Amazing forum you guys have here!

I am 30 years old and have been suffering from extreme long term low T symptoms (fatigue/anxiety/no energy/hard time putting on muscle) - decided to get a blood test and here are the results:

TESTOSTERONE: [7.60 - 31.40] 7.53 nmol/L (217 ng/dl)

FREE-TESTOSTERONE(CALCULATED): [0.30 - 1.00] 0.225 nmol/L (6 ng/dl)

BETA OESTRADIOL: [0.00 - 191.99] 33.4 pmol/L (17 ng/dl)

SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOB: [16.00 - 55.00] 12.5 nmol/L

PROLACTIN: [86.00 - 324.00] 362 mIU/L (17ng/DL)

FSH: [1.50 - 12.40] 1.39 IU/L

LH: [1.70 - 8.60] 7.62 IU/L

Thyroid: All good

Last time I had a blood check 1.5 years ago, my Testosterone came back at 10 nmol/L (288 ng/dl) but NHS said normal range and wouldn't help.. so it was always quite lowish.

Observations: T obviously very low, SHBG is low (no idea why - maybe weight gain), Prolactin very slightly elevated but apparently doesn't seem to be anything to worry about, FSH quite low.

I have had low T symptoms for a very long time so I am not sure where to go from here.

It's going to be 3 months before I get to see an Endo, and there is nowhere private I can go around here.
Can the more experienced users tell me if this is definitely a case of Secondary Hypogonadism?

If so - what are my options? I have no idea where to go from here and I really hate the idea that I'll have to wait 3 months to see an Endo and probably 6+ months before I actually get on any type of treatment. I just want to feel better.

I am open to self prescribing (it's the route I would prefer to go) but I don't even know if TRT would work because of my low SHBG or low FSH, would love to hear from other users who had similar blood work (Low T / Low FSH / Normal LH).
Thanks
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:38:43 am by teep »

miketx83

• View Profile
Re: Low T / Low FSH / Normal LH - what are my options? (beginner)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 07:42:02 am »
I am also relatively new here. I had very low T levels as well and have been seeing a urologist and endocrinologist. 50mg of Clomid increased my T from 246 to 1194 in about two months. Keep in mind that if you go TRT, that may affect your fertility.

Note that Clomid does have side effects, including visual disturbances. I am seeing an eye doctor soon since I started having a bit of blurry vision while on Clomid. This is something to keep in mind if you go that route.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 07:42:02 am »

teep

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 07:44:22 am »
I am also relatively new here. I had very low T levels as well and have been seeing a urologist and endocrinologist. 50mg of Clomid increased my T from 246 to 1194 in about two months. Keep in mind that if you go TRT, that may affect your fertility.

Note that Clomid does have side effects, including visual disturbances. I am seeing an eye doctor soon since I started having a bit of blurry vision while on Clomid. This is something to keep in mind if you go that route.

Thanks for the info, that's amazing - congrats.

I am not sure how I feel about clomid, it's something I really don't want to go on, short term or long term. But I am not sure what my other options are to be honest!

Cataceous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 09:12:46 am »
Read PeakT's page on low SHBG if you haven't yet. I get a converted value for estradiol of 9 pg/mL, which is quite low and a good reason to not let this go indefinitely--bone health issues, etc. Prolactin is a bit elevated and could be contributing to problems. A doctor might request a pituitary MRI. LH is high enough that you shouldn't automatically assume it's secondary/tertiary hypogonadism, even though this still seems more likely than primary. Stimulation with hCG or Clomid could provide a more definitive answer. Low doses of Clomid would be a reasonable first choice for treatment if it is secondary hypogonadism. Clomid has an added benefit for you of possibly raising SHBG.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T enanthate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid
5/2017 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL (348-1197), FT: 16 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 50 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0), DHEA-S: 278 ug/dL (71.6-375.4)

teep

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 02:59:05 pm »
Hmm, what would happen if I went straight on TRT, 100mg of Test E a week? Is that a really bad idea given the results?

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 02:59:05 pm »

Cataceous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 03:41:27 pm »
Hmm, what would happen if I went straight on TRT, 100mg of Test E a week? Is that a really bad idea given the results?

You'd be on a hormonal roller coaster with that SHBG. Better would be 50 mg every 3.5 days, and you might even need to do more often. TRT shuts down your HPTA, though you can add hCG to somewhat counteract the symptoms, if you get any. But you're kind of young to be going this route, which is why Clomid is something to consider; oral administration makes it easier and HPTA action is preserved.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T enanthate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid
5/2017 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL (348-1197), FT: 16 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 50 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0), DHEA-S: 278 ug/dL (71.6-375.4)

teep

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 07:14:35 am »
Thanks for the information!

From doing more research and reading the articles on this website, it seems the effects of clomid are typically short-lived and not many people have had long term success with a restart (T levels returning to the lower range after a few months off).

I still feel like I should maybe give it a go just to see what happens, but I also feel like it's not going to make a difference in the long term as I am not willing to stay on clomid for the rest of my life.

I really have no idea what to do and I am pretty sure the endocrinologists here in the UK here are not going to be much help.

I still don't understand my low FSH and high LH levels too - this is a headache!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 07:16:55 am by teep »

Cataceous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 08:47:42 pm »
From doing more research and reading the articles on this website, it seems the effects of clomid are typically short-lived and not many people have had long term success with a restart (T levels returning to the lower range after a few months off).

I still feel like I should maybe give it a go just to see what happens, but I also feel like it's not going to make a difference in the long term as I am not willing to stay on clomid for the rest of my life.

It's true that successful restarts may not be that common. But if natural methods for raising testosterone don't work then your options are limited. Part of the reason Clomid gets a bad reputation is because all too often clueless doctors prescribe 50 mg per day, which is quite a large dose for men. If I were younger and a low-to medium dose--like 12.5 - 25 mg every other day---worked for me without side effect then I don't think I'd have a problem taking it indefinitely. Are you saying you'd prefer shots for the rest of your life or that you'd leave the low testosterone untreated?

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 08:47:42 pm »

PLEASE SUPPORT THE SITE AND GIVE AN AMAZON REVIEW IF POSSIBLE:

teep

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 05:12:22 am »

It's true that successful restarts may not be that common. But if natural methods for raising testosterone don't work then your options are limited. Part of the reason Clomid gets a bad reputation is because all too often clueless doctors prescribe 50 mg per day, which is quite a large dose for men. If I were younger and a low-to medium dose--like 12.5 - 25 mg every other day---worked for me without side effect then I don't think I'd have a problem taking it indefinitely. Are you saying you'd prefer shots for the rest of your life or that you'd leave the low testosterone untreated?

I think I wouldn't mind taking shots, definitely don't want to leave it untreated!

I guess I will try clomid to start with, makes the most logical sense.

However I have read that clomid will increase fsh/lh levels, Isn't this going to be bad for me as my LH is already quite high? What happens if it gets too high?

Thanks again

Cataceous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 06:41:41 am »
I wouldn't get too hung up on a single LH measurement. This hormone is delivered in pulses, so it may be that the blood draw occurred right after you had a pulse, but your average levels are midrange or lower.

If your testosterone increases when taking Clomid then you'll know that your testicles are likely not the problem.

MarstonS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 10:04:39 am »
What does your diet look like?
T-levels:  980 ng/dL naturally. (25.7-2017)  I am not on any TRT.

teep

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 10:14:35 am »
What does your diet look like?

Awful the past few months, but recently its been quite clean.
I could best summarise it as: chicken, beef, salmon, lots and lots of green veg, nuts, eggs, sweet potatoes, whey protein, porridge oats.

Starting taking multi vitamins, zinc/magnesium, fish oils, ashwaganda past week also. Will see how it goes but I'm most likely going to try a clomid restart in the next few days to rule out some stuff (unless anyone else can give me a reason not to).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:16:11 am by teep »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 10:14:35 am »