Quantcast

Author Topic: 21 and on Androgel since 13  (Read 867 times)

JakeH99

• View Profile
21 and on Androgel since 13
« on: October 21, 2017, 08:02:44 pm »
Hi guys.  I've been on Androgel since 13.  I've had horrible ADHD symptoms and low T as well as OCD.  My doctor has put me on over 25 psychiatric medications.  Not to mention, I've had to go up to taking Androgel at age 13.  I've had just insane side effects from almost every kind of side effect there is.  I feel really apprehensive about continuing with Androgel.  I went off after all this time, and without Androgel I felt a huge surge in libido (highly suspecting LH hormone here) and I assume all the SSRI/Amphetamines I've had to take drained the hell out of my T levels.  I lost a lot of muscle mass and libido going on Androgel (which is totally paradoxical).  I felt like I didn't have any sex drive, felt like I was having noticable sexual dysfunction, and worst of all my ADHD symptoms and brain fog went through the roof!!  It has sucked so much.  Before all this medicine, I was running almost 7-8 miles a day just going at it with cardio and lifting 3 times a week and felt amazing.   Now, I live on the couch trying to find the food in the cupboard and failing to even keep an erection constantly wanting to sleep all day and getting chronic constipation.  I absolutely hate what my doctors did to me.  They ruined my life the past 5 years and I'm tired of living under the influence of all these medicines when they are doing this.  But, I don't get why Androgel jacked my T levels down below 200?  I am referring to TOTAL T.  I was up in the 600's and even 700's at one point, but when I restarted therapy I felt like complete dog crap and my energy fell through the roof.  I tried a few days off and felt better, but I am on so many antidepressants and stimulants for mental health I couldn't bear going without Androgel today, so I used it.  It sucks because once you're on all this stuff, going off isn't just like bam you do it and you're done!  I am probably going to spend my next 3 months going through antidepressant withdrawal and TRT withdrawal, and am currently going through amphetamine withdrawal because my doctor won't answer when I ask him for medicine refills.  I'm honestly so pissed at how I was totally fine before this and the doctors took an innocent teenager like myself, jacked up my neurochemicals and hormones, and turned me into a fat lazy zombie with no passion/ambition/drive to do anything but sleep and eat junk food.  #Rant

Mindscape

• View Profile
Re: 21 and on Androgel since 13
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 08:19:55 pm »
It's very common for guys to not absorb the testosterone gels at all, and even if you do later your body will start rejecting the gels. When this happens your T levels drop below baseline pre-TRT and leave you running on empty. You need to request injections, it's the most effective TRT treatment out there. Gels happen to be the least effective treatment out there and are the most expensive, this is why I don't trust doctors who use them, there either inexperienced or in it for the money. I've never heard of a 13 year old on TRT before, assuming your testicals are damaged? Where are you located if you don't mind me asking? You deserve better care! I also have ADHD and am finding out that TRT works better than a lot of medications I've tried over the last 30 years, and zero side effects! A lot of those medications can increase SHBG creating low T symptoms than can affect muscle mass since most of your Free T is bound up non-bioavailable. I've had fatigue and sexual side effects my whole life on these medications, my body and mind is still healing after a horrible withdraw that lasted for almost 2 years that cause my test levels to plummet. TRT has done wonders for my energy and libido! Just realize if you ever try TRT again it can take several months for you to see significant changes, hormones aren't like popping a pill and getting an instant relief.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:55:26 pm by Mindscape »
First Protocol: 75mg weekly
Second Protocol: 50mg T Cyp 2x/week
Third protocol: .25ml 100mg EOD

Pre-TRT labs:
Total Test: 119 ng/dL  348-1197 ng/dL
Free Test: 5 ng/dL
SHBG 25 nmol
TSH: .58  0.35 - 4.00 mcIU/mL
-------------------------
4 weeks into TRT May 2017:
Total Test: 531 ng/dL trough 451 ng/dL 264-916 ng/dL
Free Test: 15.2 ng/dL
SHBG 18 nmol

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 08:19:55 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 02:58:44 pm »
Hi guys.  I've been on Androgel since 13.  I've had horrible ADHD symptoms and low T as well as OCD.  My doctor has put me on over 25 psychiatric medications.  Not to mention, I've had to go up to taking Androgel at age 13.  I've had just insane side effects from almost every kind of side effect there is.  I feel really apprehensive about continuing with Androgel.  I went off after all this time, and without Androgel I felt a huge surge in libido (highly suspecting LH hormone here) and I assume all the SSRI/Amphetamines I've had to take drained the hell out of my T levels.  I lost a lot of muscle mass and libido going on Androgel (which is totally paradoxical).  I felt like I didn't have any sex drive, felt like I was having noticable sexual dysfunction, and worst of all my ADHD symptoms and brain fog went through the roof!!  It has sucked so much.  Before all this medicine, I was running almost 7-8 miles a day just going at it with cardio and lifting 3 times a week and felt amazing.   Now, I live on the couch trying to find the food in the cupboard and failing to even keep an erection constantly wanting to sleep all day and getting chronic constipation.  I absolutely hate what my doctors did to me.  They ruined my life the past 5 years and I'm tired of living under the influence of all these medicines when they are doing this.  But, I don't get why Androgel jacked my T levels down below 200?  I am referring to TOTAL T.  I was up in the 600's and even 700's at one point, but when I restarted therapy I felt like complete dog crap and my energy fell through the roof.  I tried a few days off and felt better, but I am on so many antidepressants and stimulants for mental health I couldn't bear going without Androgel today, so I used it.  It sucks because once you're on all this stuff, going off isn't just like bam you do it and you're done!  I am probably going to spend my next 3 months going through antidepressant withdrawal and TRT withdrawal, and am currently going through amphetamine withdrawal because my doctor won't answer when I ask him for medicine refills.  I'm honestly so pissed at how I was totally fine before this and the doctors took an innocent teenager like myself, jacked up my neurochemicals and hormones, and turned me into a fat lazy zombie with no passion/ambition/drive to do anything but sleep and eat junk food.  #Rant

Did you find out if you are primary or secondary hypogonadal?  The former refers to when the testes do not produce enough testosterone and the latter when it's located in the brain (hypothalamus/pituitary).  [Actually, tertiary is hypothalamus and secondary pitutiary related.)  The reason this is important is because there are a number of causes of secondary hypogonadism that can be corrected.  Check these out for example:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Causes_Of_Low_Testosterone.aspx
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:14:04 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

JakeH99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 04:29:27 pm »
Hey guys yeah my Low T is supposedly Prim. Hypogonadism.   Also, I'm from Iowa and have been on Androgel since 13 from having my T levels way below the baseline.  I started having intense fatigue and lethargy around 13.  My thyroid is totally fine and it's been fine like every time I've been tested.  My total T is all I ever get told as I only had Free T checked maybe once or twice?  I am in college and my doctor that prescribes Androgel is over 250 miles away.  So, unless I find a doc here that could give me injections, it's pointless to try to quit the Gel because then I would have nothing.  Of course, if the gel is cutting my levels even lower from causing atrophy of my Leydig cells in testes, then yeah, I don't wanna take Androgel then.  Honestly, it seems like I have to bounce on and off to get the energy to feel "at its best." 

For my ADHD, I hate having to use Androgel with it and especially because I take SSRI Lexapro 10 mg in the morning for anxiety.  That combo plus the two amphetamines I take leave me exhausted at the end of the day.  My T levels have to be like rock bottom by around 7 P.M.  I know the medicines totally don't help with my Free and total T levels (the SSRI and Vyvanse/Dexedrine as needed combo), but without them I feel awful.  I can go without the SSRI, but I get pretty revved up then easily from stressors with college and life in general.  It seems easier to try and avoid hunting down a doctor for injections because I just don't want to have to go through the process of meeting another doctor and making more appointments.  Also, the brain fog with Androgel and SSRI is unreal, but if I use SSRI at bedtime I am guaranteed insomnia and also Androgel is said to worsen my sleep apnea I have at night.  I honestly hate how I have to pick and choose between my mental health and hormone health.  It sucks and I'm 22 in like a few weeks. 

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 04:29:27 pm »

JakeH99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 05:04:38 pm »
Also, I have a microadenoma on my pituitary gland so my pituitary is messed up.  It is stable and not harmful, but it is screwing with my testosterone from the signaling pathway.  I forgot to mention that.  My left side of my pituitary is being blocked by a microadenoma. 

JakeH99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 05:07:06 pm »
And also sleep apnea in addition to pituitary issues and testosterone lowering medications.  Yeah, I basically am screwed and I am 180 pounds and used to be a lot lighter.  This is why I can't just pop off the Androgel easily because I get lethargy that is out of this world. 

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 05:48:07 pm »
Since you are primary hypogonadal, you should be able to find a doc to treat you with a proper protocol.  Whether it is gels or creams or shots, a competent doctor would test the right hormones and monitor the treatment for effectiveness and make adjustments based upon your test results and how you feel. 

I strongly suspect that if you got your hormones properly treated that you would no longer need the SSRI's. 
Protocol: 35mg T Cyp 3x/week, 300 IU hCG 3x/week, 50mg DHEA + 50mg Pregnenalone daily.
1/2017 test results: TT: 1152 ng/dL (348-1197), FT: 23.7 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 22.0 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0)

Mindscape

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 05:51:29 pm »
At some point you got to say enough is enough unless you want to feel like this the rest of your life. You might consider Defy Medical, no need to hunt for doctors.

Pre-TRT labs:
SHBG 25 nmol
SHBG 18 nmol

JakeH99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 07:52:46 pm »
My doctor doesn't care and won't give me the injections.  He says the insurance will only cover the gels and I guess it's because they profit more.  I will have to wait a while before I can do the injections again.  I may have to wait another couple months.  I think the SSRI doesn't do much for me, but I will see in time.  I for sure cannot ditch the ADHD meds or I might as well drop out of college and starting flipping burgers at that point.  I am ready to see how things go with a reduced androgel dose.  I was on like 4 packets a day of Androgel hormone, and now I'm going to try just two and then go from there.  Clearly I have imbalances in multiple places like hormones and probably neurochemical ones as well.  At least my psychiatrist is understanding, but my issue is It's easy to misinterpret what's going on like if it's cloudy and I naturally have lower energy; I  may attribute that to my Androgel causing me issues when it's really the weather.  If I cannot focus well, I blame being on the wrong ADHD meds (but could be I just had a crap ton of carbohydrates).  Or, if I think I should be high energy and able to focus all day but only got 6 hours of sleep, I might have too high of expectations.  I get impulsive as hell and am so jumpy/quick to blame stuff and change docs that it's no wonder they get hacked off at me.  I just hope that maybe the injections will help and then we can go from there, but for now I really can't do anything because of insurance :(

JakeH99

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 09:49:09 am »
Guys I cannot get off the gel.  My T levels plummet through the ground and I feel like crap for like a week until my body starts to remake its own testosterone.  I am trying to slowly cut the Androgel down, but I only have packets so I cannot do it as easily as I once did with the pump.  Maybe it is time to try something different like are there long-term injections that are more than just the 300 ng/dL or whatever they typically give people?  I heard some people get 400 ng/dL but I don't want to have any more atrophy of my Leydig cells.  In all honesty, I have had a LOT of testicular shrinkage.  My testes have lost about 2/3 of their size from up to 81g of Androgel a day.  My levels are like 250 ng/dL or something right now WITH the gel, so I clearly need to get some time off because my body is losing its capability.  Also, how long does it take to recover from high dose Androgel use?  Are there any studies on this because I cannot find many online?  The pharmacist and my PCP don't know jack sh*t when I ask them questions about it.  I went to a PA and asked him and he said he had no idea.... :(

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 08:20:46 pm »
Hey guys yeah my Low T is supposedly Prim. Hypogonadism.   Also, I'm from Iowa and have been on Androgel since 13 from having my T levels way below the baseline.  I started having intense fatigue and lethargy around 13.  My thyroid is totally fine and it's been fine like every time I've been tested.  My total T is all I ever get told as I only had Free T checked maybe once or twice?  I am in college and my doctor that prescribes Androgel is over 250 miles away.  So, unless I find a doc here that could give me injections, it's pointless to try to quit the Gel because then I would have nothing.  Of course, if the gel is cutting my levels even lower from causing atrophy of my Leydig cells in testes, then yeah, I don't wanna take Androgel then.  Honestly, it seems like I have to bounce on and off to get the energy to feel "at its best." 

For my ADHD, I hate having to use Androgel with it and especially because I take SSRI Lexapro 10 mg in the morning for anxiety.  That combo plus the two amphetamines I take leave me exhausted at the end of the day.  My T levels have to be like rock bottom by around 7 P.M.  I know the medicines totally don't help with my Free and total T levels (the SSRI and Vyvanse/Dexedrine as needed combo), but without them I feel awful.  I can go without the SSRI, but I get pretty revved up then easily from stressors with college and life in general.  It seems easier to try and avoid hunting down a doctor for injections because I just don't want to have to go through the process of meeting another doctor and making more appointments.  Also, the brain fog with Androgel and SSRI is unreal, but if I use SSRI at bedtime I am guaranteed insomnia and also Androgel is said to worsen my sleep apnea I have at night.  I honestly hate how I have to pick and choose between my mental health and hormone health.  It sucks and I'm 22 in like a few weeks.

Got it.  Yeah, if you're primary and have super low testosterone along with symptoms, then there is not much else to do.  All roads lead to TRT in that case.

To echo what was said:  you have to try to find a good doctor.  They're out there but you have to dig sometimes.  As an fyi, both our site sponsors can treat in all 50 states so you can look at that option if you are interesting - not pushing at all but just letting you know. 

Some men on here like topicals / transdermals more and still others sweat by injectables.  You should be able to make either work in my opinion, so, if you want more information, let us know.

When I started TRT way back in the day with my urologist, he was only willing to bump my testosterone up to the upper 400's.  That was an improvement, because Androgel never raise my T a nanogram.  But I never felt very good at that level and most guys won't.  He had me on a compounded testosterone cream but didn't have the strength strong enough.  Read this to see what I am talking about:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Compounding_Testosterone.aspx

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/forum/index.php?topic=424.0
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

JakeH99

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 04:12:15 pm »
Since you are primary hypogonadal, you should be able to find a doc to treat you with a proper protocol.  Whether it is gels or creams or shots, a competent doctor would test the right hormones and monitor the treatment for effectiveness and make adjustments based upon your test results and how you feel. 

I strongly suspect that if you got your hormones properly treated that you would no longer need the SSRI's.

Is there evidence suggesting that low T exacerbates anxiety?

JakeH99

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 04:16:07 pm »

Got it.  Yeah, if you're primary and have super low testosterone along with symptoms, then there is not much else to do.  All roads lead to TRT in that case.

To echo what was said:  you have to try to find a good doctor.  They're out there but you have to dig sometimes.  As an fyi, both our site sponsors can treat in all 50 states so you can look at that option if you are interesting - not pushing at all but just letting you know. 

Some men on here like topicals / transdermals more and still others sweat by injectables.  You should be able to make either work in my opinion, so, if you want more information, let us know.

When I started TRT way back in the day with my urologist, he was only willing to bump my testosterone up to the upper 400's.  That was an improvement, because Androgel never raise my T a nanogram.  But I never felt very good at that level and most guys won't.  He had me on a compounded testosterone cream but didn't have the strength strong enough.  Read this to see what I am talking about:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Compounding_Testosterone.aspx

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/forum/index.php?topic=424.0

Yeah that is very similar to mine I was around 435 for my total T and my doc said "you're doing well let's just keep going with the gels.  Keep in mind, I was usually around 120 before that, so that was DRAMATIC for me.  This summer, I was around 568, so even more improvement.  I was extremely active this summer and was always getting a lot of D3 from the sun, now it's FREEZING out and CLOUDY/DARK constantly so my levels are probably much lower than the summer.  I'm doing a lot of resistance training and sprinting and following a diet to help low T, but I don't follow it completely 100% of the time.  I've implemented many of the foods into my diet, but have a long ways to go.  It's just so damn expensive buying some of the things to raise T as a lot of the options are pricey, but luckily I've found some options that aren't so bad, but again it's just hard to constantly be paranoid over "how is this going to affect my testosterone?" when you're a semi-broke college student like me that doesn't like cooking/know how to cook many things and has an insanely tight budget. 

JakeH99

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 02:25:54 pm »
It's very common for guys to not absorb the testosterone gels at all, and even if you do later your body will start rejecting the gels. When this happens your T levels drop below baseline pre-TRT and leave you running on empty. You need to request injections, it's the most effective TRT treatment out there. Gels happen to be the least effective treatment out there and are the most expensive, this is why I don't trust doctors who use them, there either inexperienced or in it for the money. I've never heard of a 13 year old on TRT before, assuming your testicals are damaged? Where are you located if you don't mind me asking? You deserve better care! I also have ADHD and am finding out that TRT works better than a lot of medications I've tried over the last 30 years, and zero side effects! A lot of those medications can increase SHBG creating low T symptoms than can affect muscle mass since most of your Free T is bound up non-bioavailable. I've had fatigue and sexual side effects my whole life on these medications, my body and mind is still healing after a horrible withdraw that lasted for almost 2 years that cause my test levels to plummet. TRT has done wonders for my energy and libido! Just realize if you ever try TRT again it can take several months for you to see significant changes, hormones aren't like popping a pill and getting an instant relief.

Yeah, good points there.  Why is Androgel so problematic though I mean my doctor has said my levels have been great in the past, albeit I haven't felt very motivated or much energy improvement.  I still am looking to do the injections, but It takes time to get in to see someone and get those.  Plus, insurance has to be notified.  It's going to be a pain if I try the injections and they don't do as well for my levels.  But, I guess it could be worth the trail and error.  Just had so many medicine changes recently and health issues that I want to wait a little bit before I try much more.  Too much changing too fast is hard on me. 

Mindscape

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 02:38:34 pm »

Yeah, good points there.  Why is Androgel so problematic though I mean my doctor has said my levels have been great in the past, albeit I haven't felt very motivated or much energy improvement.  I still am looking to do the injections, but It takes time to get in to see someone and get those.  Plus, insurance has to be notified.  It's going to be a pain if I try the injections and they don't do as well for my levels.  But, I guess it could be worth the trail and error.  Just had so many medicine changes recently and health issues that I want to wait a little bit before I try much more.  Too much changing too fast is hard on me.

If your SHBG is high you're going to require larger dose of T to get it to decrease enough to allow you to free up some of your free T, most doctors don't understand the relationship SHBG plays in free T levels. My doctor measured my TT, FT and SHBG 4 weeks after I started TRT, this was the first time I had SHBG tested that she knew of, yet she was perfectly alright with my trough at 452 ng/dL "injecting only once a week"! Low SHBG guys excrete most of their T into their urine, we simply need more shots. My endo believe TRT is all about prescribing testosterone and measuring only TT, she has no idea what she's doing just like your doctor. You're unlikely to ever find a knowledgeable doctor in your state. Zero chance.

Pre-TRT labs:
SHBG 25 nmol