Quantcast

Author Topic: Which Estradiol Test Do I Go By Since I Have Both?  (Read 422 times)

hello73

• View Profile
Which Estradiol Test Do I Go By Since I Have Both?
« on: October 27, 2017, 01:31:20 pm »
My ultrasensitive e2 came back as 17 and the standard 36. Which one do I go by now as both are in range?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 02:03:32 pm by PeakT »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Which Estradiol Test Do I Go By Since I Have Both?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 02:05:03 pm »
My ultrasensitive e2 came back as 17 and the standard 36. Which one do I go by now as both are in range?

My answer is the old school assays are pretty worthless, since they measure more than estradiol.  As you labs show, they can be way off.

And I would not feel comfortable at 17 by the way.  Of course, you may want to pull it again, but I personally want to be 20+ to make sure I am well out of bone loss territory.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 02:05:03 pm »

hello73

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 04:45:47 pm »

My answer is the old school assays are pretty worthless, since they measure more than estradiol.  As you labs show, they can be way off.

And I would not feel comfortable at 17 by the way.  Of course, you may want to pull it again, but I personally want to be 20+ to make sure I am well out of bone loss territory.
Should I go from arimidex M,W,F of 1.5 weekly to maybe just .5 on M,F only? And can being at 17 be a reason to slow weight loss?

Cataceous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 05:32:52 pm »
But as a cautionary tale, my first sensitive E2 test said 24 pg/mL, while the standard test said around 50. But later simultaneous tests agreed that 50 was the correct result. So don't trust either result until you get more data. The sensitive test can occasionally spit out totally wrong numbers. The standard test is more consistent, but is also likely to be somewhat high due to the cross-reactivity.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T enanthate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid
5/2017 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL (348-1197), FT: 16 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 50 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0), DHEA-S: 278 ug/dL (71.6-375.4)

hello73

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 07:46:26 pm »
But as a cautionary tale, my first sensitive E2 test said 24 pg/mL, while the standard test said around 50. But later simultaneous tests agreed that 50 was the correct result. So don't trust either result until you get more data. The sensitive test can occasionally spit out totally wrong numbers. The standard test is more consistent, but is also likely to be somewhat high due to the cross-reactivity.
I've had a few standard tests that came back in the 30s. This is my first time testing with ultrasensitive. I was also thinking what would happen if I stop the arimidex. Before taking it my e2 was 58 standard.  I figure 58 most likely is 38 ultrasensitive. Seems like between standard and ultrasensitive it's always about a 20 to 25 point difference.  Maybe I didn't need arimidex after all.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 07:46:26 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 10:34:03 pm »
Should I go from arimidex M,W,F of 1.5 weekly to maybe just .5 on M,F only? And can being at 17 be a reason to slow weight loss?

I don't know why you're using Arimidex if you had a read of 17.  Talk to your doc about that one - seems risky to me anyway.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

hello73

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 09:53:57 am »

I don't know why you're using Arimidex if you had a read of 17.  Talk to your doc about that one - seems risky to me anyway.
that is because this is my first time doing the ultrasensitive test.  Having said that. When I had 58 on the standard before Arimidex. Had I done the ultrasensitive test.  Could the 58 really have been 20 points less more or less had I taken the ultrasensitive one?

hello73

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 10:48:25 am »
How do you get more data? Labs I'm sure but how do you determine which one is your true e2?

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 10:48:25 am »

PLEASE SUPPORT THE SITE AND GIVE AN AMAZON REVIEW IF POSSIBLE:

Cataceous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 11:40:37 am »
How do you get more data? Labs I'm sure but how do you determine which one is your true e2?

Yes, more lab work, ideally without other changes. If under the same conditions both tests return about the same numbers as before then the sensitive one would be the one to trust more, and you might also then want to test CRP. Another possible outcome is that the sensitive result moves up closer to the result of the standard test, which remains about the same. Then the new sensitive result is likely to be more accurate, but you can use the standard result if they are pretty close.

The latter is my situation, and the standard test has very consistently been a few percent high than the sensitive test except for the one time the sensitive test was way off.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T enanthate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid
5/2017 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL (348-1197), FT: 16 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 50 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0), DHEA-S: 278 ug/dL (71.6-375.4)

hello73

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 12:00:46 pm »

Yes, more lab work, ideally without other changes. If under the same conditions both tests return about the same numbers as before then the sensitive one would be the one to trust more, and you might also then want to test CRP. Another possible outcome is that the sensitive result moves up closer to the result of the standard test, which remains about the same. Then the new sensitive result is likely to be more accurate, but you can use the standard result if they are pretty close.

The latter is my situation, and the standard test has very consistently been a few percent high than the sensitive test except for the one time the sensitive test was way off.
I see.  I think I'm just going to do 1mg weekly vs 1.5 weekly.  That may put my standard in the 40s and the sensitive in the 20s. Doctor told me she's happy with the 36 standard and 17 ultrasensitive but I'm afraid of crashing.  At the same time I've been doing the 1.5mg weekly for 6 months and haven't crashed. 
Should I repeat another standard and ultrasensitive  in a couple of months on my same protocol or go ahead and start 1mg weekly?

Cataceous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 01:09:31 pm »
It will make the next lab results a little harder to interpret, but reducing an AI is always a good thing. If you can afford it then getting both tests will help you figure things out.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 01:16:24 pm »

that is because this is my first time doing the ultrasensitive test.  Having said that. When I had 58 on the standard before Arimidex. Had I done the ultrasensitive test.  Could the 58 really have been 20 points less more or less had I taken the ultrasensitive one?

Noted.  Be careful.  Bone loss is N A S T Y, and we've seen it on here.

hello73

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 01:21:38 pm »

Noted.  Be careful.  Bone loss is N A S T Y, and we've seen it on here.
before Arimidex being at 58. Could I still have been on the normal range had a taken the ultrasensitive one?

Cataceous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 02:51:28 pm »
before Arimidex being at 58. Could I still have been on the normal range had a taken the ultrasensitive one?

It's possible, but more likely you would still have been on the high side. Even so, if you don't have side effects then it's not clear that an AI should be a priority. Defy Medical hasn't been too concerned about my estradiol of around 50 pg/mL. I'm not sure I want it at that level indefinitely, but I'm taking I3C to mitigate potential risks.

hello73

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 03:05:51 pm »

It's possible, but more likely you would still have been on the high side. Even so, if you don't have side effects then it's not clear that an AI should be a priority. Defy Medical hasn't been too concerned about my estradiol of around 50 pg/mL. I'm not sure I want it at that level indefinitely, but I'm taking I3C to mitigate potential risks.
Thanks.  I think I'll do .5 on Mondays and .5 on Fridays and skip Wednesdays  dose and retest  the sensitive and standard one in two months.  Doctor told me the 17 and 36 was good.  I agree with her on the 36 but not so much on the 17.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 03:05:51 pm »