Quantcast

Author Topic: Clomid Failure From Weight Gain Even Though Testosterone Increased?  (Read 269 times)

JonnyV

• View Profile
Hey guys,

Long time no chat. I have been busy working but have been meaning to come back and update you guys. Here is a quick reminder of the events of the last year:

-Had super low T, decided to start Clomid/Anastrazole/DIM. T skyrocketed. Symptoms got a lot better but I gained a good amount of weight very quickly (between 25-30lbs) without heavy changes in exercises or diet. It was about 1/3 muscle and 2/3 fat as confirmed with DEXA scan.

-I switched to only Clomid, which has been fine (but not feeling as good as when I was on Clomid/Anastrazole/DIM). My weight has somewhat stabilized but losing weight is still an issue, despite using diets that in the past have made me lose weight.

-After getting blood tests, I seem to be somewhat insulin resistant. These results include high fasting insulin, low HDL, etc. Before any treatments I had an HDL of between 55-60, but now it is in the 30s. A lot of my blood tests are out of whack ever since starting treatment.

I am heavier than I have been in the last 7 years, my subjective feeling is just ok, and I am kind of just tired of feeding synthetic compounds into my body that give me relief from some symptoms but may be contributing to other issues. Every time I have tried to come off Clomid over the last few months, I will feel fine for a few days and then I will start to get headaches. I imagine this is some sort of withdrawal effect from my T lowering? I stopped this week on Monday, let's see what happens.

Anyway, I am not sure what to do. I am heavily considering T+HCG, and storing sperm as a back up plan in cases I have fertility issues. I am happy to elaborate on anything, i just wanted to not make this a monster post.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:59:27 pm by PeakT »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Clomid Failure From Weight Gain Even Though Testosterone Increased?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:20:25 pm »
Hey guys,

Long time no chat. I have been busy working but have been meaning to come back and update you guys. Here is a quick reminder of the events of the last year:

-Had super low T, decided to start Clomid/Anastrazole/DIM. T skyrocketed. Symptoms got a lot better but I gained a good amount of weight very quickly (between 25-30lbs) without heavy changes in exercises or diet. It was about 1/3 muscle and 2/3 fat as confirmed with DEXA scan.

-I switched to only Clomid, which has been fine (but not feeling as good as when I was on Clomid/Anastrazole/DIM). My weight has somewhat stabilized but losing weight is still an issue, despite using diets that in the past have made me lose weight.

-After getting blood tests, I seem to be somewhat insulin resistant. These results include high fasting insulin, low HDL, etc. Before any treatments I had an HDL of between 55-60, but now it is in the 30s. A lot of my blood tests are out of whack ever since starting treatment.

I am heavier than I have been in the last 7 years, my subjective feeling is just ok, and I am kind of just tired of feeding synthetic compounds into my body that give me relief from some symptoms but may be contributing to other issues. Every time I have tried to come off Clomid over the last few months, I will feel fine for a few days and then I will start to get headaches. I imagine this is some sort of withdrawal effect from my T lowering? I stopped this week on Monday, let's see what happens.

Anyway, I am not sure what to do. I am heavily considering T+HCG, and storing sperm as a back up plan in cases I have fertility issues. I am happy to elaborate on anything, i just wanted to not make this a monster post.

Hey, good to hear from you again but wish it was under better circumstances...

Hey, some guys feel better on TRT, some on Clomid - it's really hard to predict.  So going to TRT + HCG may work great for you - hard to say

Question for you, though, on the Clomid:  if you felt pretty good on the Clomid/Anastrazole/DIM but gained weight, then I would necessarily throw that out.  There are quite a few things that explain the weight gain:  higher estradiol that you thought;  consuming more calories than you thought; a slowdown of the thyroid. 

Another question:  have you done your due diligence and pulled LH, prolactin, DHT, DHEA-S, progesterone and a 3 point cortisol?

And now I want to say the most important thing:  do NOT stop until you figure out what is causing that insulin resistance.  This is very likely why you don't feel good.  I will say say that that falling HDL is a sign your LDL-P is going up which greatly increases your risk of adding plaque and then your problems are going to get exponentially worse as the months go by.  (Prediabetes drives into pattern B lipids - read about it - every guy should - if you have not.)

What helps insulin resistance?  How you eat; how much you eat; exercise; weight loss; increasing testosterone.  However, if you go too high with testosterone, you can drive down HDL. 

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_HDL.aspx

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Metabolic_Syndrome.aspx
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:59:40 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:20:25 pm »

JonnyV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 05:59:32 pm »

Hey, some guys feel better on TRT, some on Clomid - it's really hard to predict.  So going to TRT + HCG may work great for you - hard to say

Question for you, though, on the Clomid:  if you felt pretty good on the Clomid/Anastrazole/DIM but gained weight, then I would necessarily throw that out.  There are quite a few things that explain the weight gain:  higher estradiol that you thought;  consuming more calories than you thought; a slowdown of the thyroid. 

Another question:  have you done your due diligence and pulled LH, prolactin, DHT, DHEA-S, progesterone and a 3 point cortisol?

And now I want to say the most important thing:  do NOT stop until you figure out what is causing that insulin resistance.  This is very likely why you don't feel good.  I will say say that that falling HDL is a sign your LDL-P is going up which greatly increases your risk of adding plaque and then your problems are going to get exponentially worse as the months go by.  (Prediabetes drives into pattern B lipids - read about it - every guy should - if you have not.)

What helps insulin resistance?  How you eat; how much you eat; exercise; weight loss; increasing testosterone.  However, if you go too high with testosterone, you can drive down HDL. 

Hey bud,

Thanks for the response. Here are some comments:

-After taking Clomid/Anastrazole/DIM is when I noticed my HDL drop a lot. So maybe starting that protocol again and being very stringent on diet/exercise could work, but I am worried about gaining even more weight. I would have to buy a whole new wardrobe lol. I have stopped in an attempt to see if my blood tests look better and I can lose weight again. I am worried that I will get headaches and/or anxiety again, but I know that getting back on Clomid will relieve those symptoms, so I am willing to give it a shot. What do you think?

-Estradiol stayed exactly the same on the sensitive test, but of course I know Clomid itself has estrogenic effects. Maybe it was a thyroid thing but my thyroid numbers looked decent. Latest IGF-1 looked fine at 151 ng/mL. LH was fine at 7.6 mIU/mL. DHT and DHEA-S looked good. Prolactin was a bit low at 3.9 ng/mL. 4 point cortisol looked fine.

Right now, I am off of everything and will see how that affects me. I'll also read your links, thanks Peak, you're the man!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:59:56 pm by PeakT »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 07:21:48 pm »

Hey bud,

Thanks for the response. Here are some comments:

-After taking Clomid/Anastrazole/DIM is when I noticed my HDL drop a lot. So maybe starting that protocol again and being very stringent on diet/exercise could work, but I am worried about gaining even more weight. I would have to buy a whole new wardrobe lol. I have stopped in an attempt to see if my blood tests look better and I can lose weight again. I am worried that I will get headaches and/or anxiety again, but I know that getting back on Clomid will relieve those symptoms, so I am willing to give it a shot. What do you think?

-Estradiol stayed exactly the same on the sensitive test, but of course I know Clomid itself has estrogenic effects. Maybe it was a thyroid thing but my thyroid numbers looked decent. Latest IGF-1 looked fine at 151 ng/mL. LH was fine at 7.6 mIU/mL. DHT and DHEA-S looked good. Prolactin was a bit low at 3.9 ng/mL. 4 point cortisol looked fine.

Right now, I am off of everything and will see how that affects me. I'll also read your links, thanks Peak, you're the man!

Well, I'm an experimenter.  I am always tinkering with something on the health side - it's just my nature.  Some guys putz around with their cars; some with their computers; some around the house - and then there's me trying to biohack something.  :o  So I'd feel that I found something good with that one protocol and would try to build on it if possible.

Look, if you gained weight and your thyroid numbers were fine, then there are only three choices:

a) You put on muscle.  Don't think that is what you are talking about.

b) You put on fat.

c) You gained water weight.

I don't know of a third alternative.  Now, to me it sounds like c occurred, because you gained so much weight so fast.  20 pounds of fat is 24,000 extra calories, and I doubt you could do that if you tried.  So it probably has to be mostly water.

What causes water weight gain?  Well, only two things I know of:  elevated estradiol or elevated aldosterone or excess salt in the diet.

Also, by any chance, were you consuming low carb and then went off of it?  I'm asking for a reason.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:00:06 am by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 07:21:48 pm »