Quantcast

Author Topic: More on How SHBG Really Works  (Read 4226 times)

Dr. John Crisler

• View Profile
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 06:40:05 pm by Cataceous »
Physician in Age Management Medicine private practice. www.DrJohnCrisler.com

NOTE: Comments on this forum are NOT medical advice and are no substitute for individualized patient care. Please consult your personal physician prior to initiating or changing ANY treatment regimen.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: More on How SHBG Really Works
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 01:53:52 pm »
Will close your first thread after Pakman sees it.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 01:53:52 pm »

PakMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 01:56:24 am »

Jan 16 to Oct 16 - Test Enanthate (35mg 2x/week)
Oct 16 to Feb 17 - HCG (500iu 2x/Week)
Feb 17 - Test Propionate (25mg only 2 injections 4 days apart)
Aug 2017 onwards (Astaxanthin + other oils, supplements)
Nov 2017 onwards HCG 300 iu 3Xweek. Very low dose TRT (15 mg /week)
 +(Sorghum + Fishoil + Multivitamin )

21/08/2017 8:10 PM
Total T = 271 ng/dl  (Range 160 - 726)
LH = 5.15 mIU/ml  (Range 0.8 - 7.6)

IamTheOneWhoKnocks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 02:11:47 am »
This may be why a good T to E ratio is needed. Too much of one or the other and one will be over powering by binding to SHBG? With so many other things out there that needs research, and Testosterone has been taboo for so long, it is good to see some research happening. I see so many men who say injecting T is like injecting water. I feel for these guys.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 02:11:47 am »

SHBetaG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 10:06:06 am »
Moral of the story: go buy some SHBG instead testosterone. /s

Just an idea: maybe low SHBG guys should try to push their free taistelee through the roof, since they don't have much of that SHBG mediated testosterone action?

PeakT: sweet podcast!

Dr. John Crisler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 07:29:46 am »
http://drjohncrisler.com/how-sex-hormone-binding-globulin-shbg-really-work.html

So T\E\DHT can have an effect even when they are bound to SHBG?
Yes, but only if SHBG has first attached to its receptor on the cell membrane, THEN a T, or E, binds to it.

What we usually think of is the SHBG/T or SHBG/E, for instance, which is floating around in the blood. The latters are inert.

NOTE: Comments on this forum are NOT medical advice and are no substitute for individualized patient care. Please consult your personal physician prior to initiating or changing ANY treatment regimen.

doin it

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 08:22:12 am »

So, is there a formula to calculate how much SHBG has attached itself to the various receptors and has therefore become biologically active with respect to T and E2 ?

And does this amount of SHBG get subtracted from the total SHBG number, leaving the balance inert ?

Dr. John Crisler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 05:45:20 pm »

So, is there a formula to calculate how much SHBG has attached itself to the various receptors and has therefore become biologically active with respect to T and E2 ?

And does this amount of SHBG get subtracted from the total SHBG number, leaving the balance inert ?
Excellent question!

If anyone has figured out a way to quantify the effects of SHBG binding to its receptor on the cell membrane, I am unaware of it.

They can know how much SHBG is bound, by using immunoassay techniques. That is where you put a tag on a SHBG molecule, then watch it light up while stuck to the cell membrane. But this is not a commercially available test....and, s I said, we don't know what to do with it yet, anyway.

Dr. John Crisler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 05:55:02 pm »
http://drjohncrisler.com/how-sex-hormone-binding-globulin-shbg-really-work.html

So T\E\DHT can have an effect even when they are bound to SHBG?
ONLY when the SHBG first bound to its receptor on the cell membrane. Then they all activate pathways inside the cell.

...but not when they bind to SHBG that is floating in the bloodstream.

doin it

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 07:09:53 pm »

Excellent question!

If anyone has figured out a way to quantify the effects of SHBG binding to its receptor on the cell membrane, I am unaware of it.

They can know how much SHBG is bound, by using immunoassay techniques. That is where you put a tag on a SHBG molecule, then watch it light up while stuck to the cell membrane. But this is not a commercially available test....and, s I said, we don't know what to do with it yet, anyway.

--

So, this begs the question: Do I really want to lower a "high" SHBG blood test result ?  Since there is apparently no way to determine (under this hypothesis), how much SHBG has attached to the various target receptors, and is therefore biologically active T and E-wise, maybe I like having a "high" SHBG result ???

doin it

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 08:23:28 pm »

And, if SHBG, like many other biochems, has subfractions (not yet identified), one may have an affinity for T, one for E2, E1, DHT, etc.

And, if so, we may want an abundance of SHBG-a (DHT?) and associated receptors here (organ), and abundance of SHBG-b (T) there, but only a small amount of SHBG-b (T) in another place as well as a small amount of SHBG- c  someplace else, and some amount of SHBG-d (E2) in yet one more place, etc. ???

vvs1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 08:53:04 pm »

Excellent question!

--

So, this begs the question: Do I really want to lower a "high" SHBG blood test result ?  Since there is apparently no way to determine (under this hypothesis), how much SHBG has attached to the various target receptors, and is therefore biologically active T and E-wise, maybe I like having a "high" SHBG result ???

But...maybe a high shbg number means that there's less shbg in the cells, therefore less binding leading to low t symptoms?

Dr. John Crisler

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 05:55:22 am »

Excellent question!

--

But...maybe a high shbg number means that there's less shbg in the cells, therefore less binding leading to low t symptoms?
Higher SHBG concentrations would mean more bound to the SHBG-R

But sex hormones levels would influence this too, as they bind the SHBG beforehand.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 07:54:00 pm »

Excellent question!

--

Guys who take Danazol donít seem to feel any different.  There could be other reasons I guess, but it makes you wonder.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Dr. John Crisler

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 06:23:08 am »

Excellent question!

--

Guys who take Danazol donít seem to feel any different.  There could be other reasons I guess, but it makes you wonder.
That's been my experience.

Taking Danazol w/ high(er) SHBG not on TRT: the boy readjusts, you end up where you started. Chasing one's own tail.

Taking Danazol after TRT: higher SHBG is better anyway.

Either case, adding a drug, wasting money.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 06:23:08 am »