Quantcast

Author Topic: Estradiol questions  (Read 3751 times)

BroadBrit

• View Profile
Estradiol questions
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:39:41 am »
I have a few questions about estradiol after reading and reading on here.  That is not a criticism and thanks to everyone for all their contributions. 

1. What is the sensitive versus not so sensitive test and how can I tell if it is or not?  I know some have written it is not available over here, but I would like to check for myself.

2.  Why is estradiol the only estrogen that is tested for?

3.  I am overweight to the tune of maybe 50 pounds.  Could this actually raise my estradiol level?

Cheers.

Cataceous

• View Profile
Re: Estradiol questions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:01:31 am »
1. The sensitive test includes mass spectrometry, and usually is described as LC-MS or LC-MS/MS or similar. The standard test is immunoassay-based, and might be described as EIA or ECLIA or similar.

2. Estradiol is the most active estrogen, and thus is thought to be most responsible for the effects we observe. However, it is possible that the importance of estrone and estriol is understudied.

3. Losing weight may help reduce estradiol because adipose tissue is higher in aromatase, which converts testosterone to estradiol.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T cyptionate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid, 7.5 mg preg. orally qd
5/2017 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL (348-1197), FT: 16 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 50 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0), DHEA-S: 278 ug/dL (71.6-375.4)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:01:31 am »

BroadBrit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 12:05:51 pm »
Thank you.  I cannot believe the fast response!

Cataceous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 01:26:33 pm »
A little more information on the first question: "markviduka" said this about the sensitive test:

available at NHS hospitals only.

Some (most) wont test it but its absolutely available.

About the two different methods I wrote:

But if you can afford it, get both for a couple evaluations to see how they correlate. When the sensitive test is done right it is virtually the gold standard for accuracy. However, it is a complex test and mistakes can and do result in dramatically wrong numbers. The standard test has a varying positive bias due to cross-reactivity, but this test is hard to mess up and yields a smaller standard deviation.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T cyptionate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid, 7.5 mg preg. orally qd
5/2017 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL (348-1197), FT: 16 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 50 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0), DHEA-S: 278 ug/dL (71.6-375.4)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 01:26:33 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 02:54:38 pm »
A little more information on the first question: "markviduka" said this about the sensitive test:

available at NHS hospitals only.

Some (most) wont test it but its absolutely available.

About the two different methods I wrote:

But if you can afford it, get both for a couple evaluations to see how they correlate. When the sensitive test is done right it is virtually the gold standard for accuracy. However, it is a complex test and mistakes can and do result in dramatically wrong numbers. The standard test has a varying positive bias due to cross-reactivity, but this test is hard to mess up and yields a smaller standard deviation.

Great find Cat!
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Boxcar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:08:26 pm »
I like Cat's suggestion of getting both estradiol tests done.  Ideally, you would want them done simultaneously.  But even getting them done on different days - as long as testosterone levels, hormone therapy (or lack therof) and body fat are similar, we can assume that estradiol levels are as well.  So from doing this, I know that the regular test puts my estradiol about 30% higher than the sensitive test.  Of course, this ratio can vary from person-to-person and I have even seen people get higher results on the sensitive test (even with a simultaneous blood draw).  But once you know it, you can go back to the regular test and have a good idea of where you would place on the other.  Of course if you are one of those people whose testosterone levels vary a lot, you would really need to get the two estradiol tests done at the same time (since varying testosterone levels will result in varying estradiol levels).
178 lbs 5'8''

Current Treatment: 50 mg testosterone cypionate IM, twice a week
Low T Symptoms: Chronic pelvic pain, and other neuropathic pain.  Mild anxiety, low energy and low motivation
Meds: Amitriptyline (for pain, not depression), Clonidine (for sleep, not blood pressure)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:08:26 pm »