Quantcast

Author Topic: Low testosterone, 18 years old.  (Read 134 times)

tenacity

• View Profile
Low testosterone, 18 years old.
« on: August 11, 2018, 06:06:55 pm »
Hi everyone, I am 18 years old. The past 2 months of my life have been pretty difficult. I've had terrible anxiety with constant physical symptoms. I am fatigued and I have little to no motivation at all to do the things that I used to enjoy. I went to my doctor and was prescribed Lexapro (escitalopram). Lexapro is pretty notorious for causing sexual side effects but I wasn't aware of how bad they could be. I took 4 days worth of Lexapro and I now have difficulty with erections and no libido. I wanted to order a hormone panel to see if it had possible thrown anything out of whack. I figure its probably pretty unlikely for that to happen and this could just all be a coincidence but I am not entirely sure. I'm pretty sick of having to deal with all of this but I am trying to stay as positive as I can. I start college in a week and I am terrified. If I don't start feeling better I feel like I will likely end up failing my classes. Anyway I'll post my results below...Thanks.

TESTOSTERONE 271.3 ng/dL
FREE TESTOSTERONE 5.8 ng/dl
FSH 5.1 mIU/mL
SHBG 28.3 nmol/L
LH 2.1 mIU/mL
TSH 1.43 uIU/mL
PROLACTIN 11.0 ng/mL

I feel like crap, and my doctor is making me wait a month for an 8 a.m. retest. Can low testosterone cause anxiety and depression? I don't mind the depression as much as I do the anxiety. The physical symptoms of anxiety are painful. I am hot all the time and I have no energy. Any insight would be appreciated.

oldolylifter

• View Profile
Re: Low testosterone, 18 years old.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 06:27:12 pm »
I feel like crap, and my doctor is making me wait a month for an 8 a.m. retest. Can low testosterone cause anxiety and depression? I don't mind the depression as much as I do the anxiety. The physical symptoms of anxiety are painful. I am hot all the time and I have no energy. Any insight would be appreciated.

Yes, while there can be many reasons for the way you feel, low testosterone can cause your symptoms.  I can tell you this: low serum levels of Lexapro is not the cause of your symptoms.  It's unfortunate your doctor rushed to this drug without looking for the cause of your symptoms. 

Your testosterone levels are terrible for a 60 y/o man, ridiculous for an 18 y/o.  You need a thorough exam with extensive blood tests to determine why your testosterone is so low, then you can find the best approach to deal with it, and it is quite likely you will need another doctor. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 06:29:48 pm by oldolylifter »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 06:27:12 pm »

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 06:41:10 pm »
That is quite low total testosterone for your age. Even if it was later in the day I doubt the peak would be up to par. And yes, low testosterone can contribute to anxiety and depression. Did you stop the Lexapro? If it were me I would do that and try a self-test after a couple weeks to see how things are going. If you still have really low morning testosterone then it probably is not the SSRI that messed you up.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T enanthate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 50 mcg anastrozole qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid, 4 mg preg. orally qd
7/2018 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL, E2: 50 pg/mL immunoassay, DHEA-S: 264 ug/dL (49-344)—SHBG ~30 nmol/L

tenacity

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 06:49:42 pm »
That is quite low total testosterone for your age. Even if it was later in the day I doubt the peak would be up to par. And yes, low testosterone can contribute to anxiety and depression. Did you stop the Lexapro? If it were me I would do that and try a self-test after a couple weeks to see how things are going. If you still have really low morning testosterone then it probably is not the SSRI that messed you up.
I stopped taking it over a month ago. I was prescribed it because I came in over a panic attack I had at a music festival that left me really dizzy for about 2 weeks. Later I realized that I was really depersonalized I guess was a better way to describe it. Yeah, quite frankly I really don't understand why I have to wait a month to get this figured out. I'm really sick of feeling like this. I'd love to go back to enjoying the things I used to enjoy and having fun with my friends. I feel like a burden to all of them now because I'm constantly in a terrible mood.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 06:49:42 pm »

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 04:23:54 am »
When was the lab work done relative to stopping the Lexapro?

One possibility is that your testosterone was already low and the Lexapro just compounded the symptoms. I notice that your prolactin, though well in range, is slightly up compared to normal values we see. It's possible the SSRI raised it, and that it's contributing to your problems. I would retest it to see if it's coming down.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T enanthate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 50 mcg anastrozole qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid, 4 mg preg. orally qd
7/2018 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL, E2: 50 pg/mL immunoassay, DHEA-S: 264 ug/dL (49-344)—SHBG ~30 nmol/L

tenacity

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 12:25:12 pm »
When was the lab work done relative to stopping the Lexapro?

One possibility is that your testosterone was already low and the Lexapro just compounded the symptoms. I notice that your prolactin, though well in range, is slightly up compared to normal values we see. It's possible the SSRI raised it, and that it's contributing to your problems. I would retest it to see if it's coming down.
That would personally make the most sense to me. I ordered the panel to check prolactin initially, not testosterone. I had read a bunch of literature about how SSRIs can raise your prolactin levels after chronic use. I only used the medication for 4 days but I figured it was still worth a test, because clearly I was especially sensitive to it to have such awful side effects after such a short period of time. Lexapro is really selective and potent in terms of antidepressants. The lab work was done over a month after I stopped the medication as well though. It was less than two weeks ago. Is there any reason other than him waiting to see if my levels raise naturally for him to be making me wait a month. I'd like to be proactive and try to get myself back to feeling good if I can.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 12:28:33 pm by tenacity »

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 01:07:32 pm »
Ok, it seems pretty implausible that a month later you'd still be messed up from four days of Lexapro. I would recheck testosterone and prolactin, and possibly fill in a few things that could point to an underlying cause: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Tests.aspx

Although causes of hypogonadism are frequently hard to find, it's advisable to rule out some treatable things before trying to raise testosterone directly via Clomid, hCG and/or TRT. It may be difficult to find a doctor who believes your numbers are problematic.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 01:07:32 pm »