Quantcast

Author Topic: SSRI side effects long term  (Read 301 times)

ADHDandOCD

SSRI side effects long term
« on: September 15, 2018, 08:40:40 pm »
Ever since I started SSRI's 8 years ago I've gained a total of 65 pounds, now have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, a lot of abdominal weight, very little concentration capacity for more than 15-20 mins, and am frequently depressed and moody.  Yet, my antidepressants are clearly helping me and my low testosterone-linked depression (sarcasm).  I lost 45 pounds coming off SSRI's and yet my psychiatrist happily prescribed me up to 250 mg of Zoloft and 40 mg of Lexapro.  Since then, I have gained back 35 pounds of the 45 I lost from an insatiable appetite. 

I got groceries 3 times last week because I couldn't keep the fridge full.  I was eating 6500 calories a day and feel totally obese.  I am at 197.5 pounds right now, but I was down to 176.5 pounds before the high SSRI doses were administered because doctor thought I was OCD about my testosterone LOL.  Eff my life and healthcare.  This is why we all do our own research to our own bodies, right?  Well, I'm working back to cut my weight down and am only on 20 mg of Lexapro right now versus the previous 250 mg of Zoloft and down from 40 mg of Lexapro (THANK GOD). 

I'm constantly tired and feel like I have narcolepsy or rather chronic fatigue syndrome. 

HRD LVN

• View Profile
Re: SSRI side effects long term
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 10:14:03 pm »
I hated Lexapro (SSRI) and Zoloft is also an SSRI do you are double dosing the SSRI's.  Have you tried buspirone hydrochloride.
I found it as effective without the SSRI sides.
That said once I got my TRT protocol balanced I was able to stop taking the Buspar.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 10:14:03 pm »

shattered dreams

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 01:18:00 am »
Ever since I started SSRI's 8 years ago I've gained a total of 65 pounds, now have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, a lot of abdominal weight, very little concentration capacity for more than 15-20 mins, and am frequently depressed and moody.  Yet, my antidepressants are clearly helping me and my low testosterone-linked depression (sarcasm).  I lost 45 pounds coming off SSRI's and yet my psychiatrist happily prescribed me up to 250 mg of Zoloft and 40 mg of Lexapro.  Since then, I have gained back 35 pounds of the 45 I lost from an insatiable appetite. 

I got groceries 3 times last week because I couldn't keep the fridge full.  I was eating 6500 calories a day and feel totally obese.  I am at 197.5 pounds right now, but I was down to 176.5 pounds before the high SSRI doses were administered because doctor thought I was OCD about my testosterone LOL.  Eff my life and healthcare.  This is why we all do our own research to our own bodies, right?  Well, I'm working back to cut my weight down and am only on 20 mg of Lexapro right now versus the previous 250 mg of Zoloft and down from 40 mg of Lexapro (THANK GOD). 

I'm constantly tired and feel like I have narcolepsy or rather chronic fatigue syndrome.

I remember seeing a psychiatrist because my primary care doctor recommended I see one.  The psychiatrist wanted to put me on antidepressants and let me know that I would gain weight as an unfortunate side effect.  Now, I am very strict with my weight, and at 5'11" I freak out if I am over 150 pounds.  I told the doctor no way, and he still tried to pressure me to take it.  I asked him, how is a pill that makes me fat going to help with my depression, since being fat would cause severe depression for me?  He could not answer that, and I never saw a psychiatrist again after that.

ADHDandOCD

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:30:23 pm »
I hated Lexapro (SSRI) and Zoloft is also an SSRI do you are double dosing the SSRI's.  Have you tried buspirone hydrochloride.
I found it as effective without the SSRI sides.
That said once I got my TRT protocol balanced I was able to stop taking the Buspar.

My fault there has been a miscommunication.  I am not on both Lexapro and Zoloft at the same time.  I hate anything for anxiety because of the sedation effect and being tired actually makes me pissed off and mad, but oftentimes, since I need stimulants counteracting some of the anxiety and nausea side effects generally means SSRI's or things like Hydroxyzine (an antihistamine) for off-label anxiety use.  I also don't like GABA agents very much, but I do like Lunesta for sleeping. 

I wasn't super thrilled with Buspar.  I tried it for probably 6-7 months, but it was good for side effects I just didn't like how it made me tired.  Literally everything on the planet makes me tired psychotropically-speaking. 

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:30:23 pm »

ADHDandOCD

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:31:35 pm »

I remember seeing a psychiatrist because my primary care doctor recommended I see one.  The psychiatrist wanted to put me on antidepressants and let me know that I would gain weight as an unfortunate side effect.  Now, I am very strict with my weight, and at 5'11" I freak out if I am over 150 pounds.  I told the doctor no way, and he still tried to pressure me to take it.  I asked him, how is a pill that makes me fat going to help with my depression, since being fat would cause severe depression for me?  He could not answer that, and I never saw a psychiatrist again after that.

That's inspiring and savage to its own new level.  I am thrilled you stood up for your beliefs like that.  You're a true hero :)

Flyingfool

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 10:42:02 am »
Seems to me that you have been, and still are on so many different drugs that there is almost no way in hell your body can figure out what the hell is going on.

So many drugs, so many polarizing drugs. By that I mean one pulls in one direction and another pulls in the exact opposite direction. You are on a yo-yo and a trampoline and a merry-go-round all at the same time. your body no longer knows which way is up.

I think seanimg off of as many medications as you can and letting body heal, or at least stabilize in SOME location. Will allow a better assessment of what the real symptoms you have are, and which ones are side effects of the number of medications.

Once rhe meeey go round is stopped, you may feel nauseous and bad. It may be a long and difficult winding down to the stop. But I think you may have to commit to this long and difficult process. You may hot rock bottom. But professionals can then truly evaluate your position, and make true rational decisions to move forward. It seems your always chasing your tail with all The starts and stops of the multiple drugs You are on.

Just my opinion.
52 year old, 5í-7Ē and 165 lbs.
exercise:swim 3x/wk & marrial arts 2x/wk

Blood tested 9/19/18

Total = 580 ng/dL (250-827) 59.9%
Free T= 6.87 (4.6- 22.4) 12.8% (10.8 calc)

SHBG= 39 10.0-50.0) 72.5%

Bio-avail= 14.2 (110-575) 8.0%

DHES =not tested %

Estradiol = 22 (<39)

DHES =231 (38-313) =45.5% tested 2/14/18

Currently on 50mcg Synthroid (T4)
TSH = 0.99
Free T4 = 1.30 (0.80 - 1.80)  =50.0% of range
Free T3 = 3.3 (2.3-4.2) = 52.6% of range
Current protocol: 100mg DIM once per day. Reduction back from 200 mg. For 12 weeks. raised total T, freeT remained basically unchanged due to increases SHBG. Estradiol decrease from 30 to 22. Felt no better and maybe worse than at 100mg DIM so going back starting 9/25/18

Melbournian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 10:58:00 pm »
I have been on Paroxetine (Paxil / Aropax) for over 15 years, 20mg daily, which thankfully is not an overly high dose.
I'm not going to go into the reasons why I went on Paroxetine (they are complex and complicated).

Although in the past it has been helpful, and has had it's benefits; needless to say that, Paroxetine is the devil and I have found its an utter bastard of a thing (bad side effects) when I have tried to taper off it a few times.

I have no doubt that it had contributed to weight gain and led to me also having low testosterone.
I went on Testosterone replacement via a topical cream about 3.5 years ago and I am still on 20mg daily of Paroxetine.

Doctors (and psychiatrists) nowadays seem all too happy to throw pills at their patients, when the causes of the patient's issues tend to be complex and not immediately obvious.

Modern life; with its fixation on work/performance also means that a "quick fix" like medication is the go to because people don't have the time, or even the money to tackle problems in a more holistic way. 

48 year old Male from Australia.

Mountain Man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 01:46:17 am »

I read your posts and canít help wondering if you are doing anything to solve these problems other that seeking a medication to fix it. Meds arenít a cure all. They should give you enough mental energy to do the work needed to be better and feel better. Are you working out, sleeping well, eating well? Do you have things you look forward to? Healthy relationship with friends and sexually? Do you do things for others? There is no magic pill thatís going to solve all this. You have to take the bull by the horns yourself to change this.

Your user name sort of indicates that you identify with a diagnosis. This is becoming a self fulfilling prophecy for you. Donít do that. You are not your diagnosis. It is but a symptom, not who you are. You need counseling, preferably someone skilled in cognitive behavioral therapy. Meds ainít gonna do it for you. Step one is to change your attitude and negativity and start engaging in positive activity. Start by walking 15 minutes twice a day, some light body weight exercise and clean up your diet. See a psychiatrist and get off some of those meds. Most important is to get a therapist and do some CBT consistently.

Sorry to come across like this, but you need to here this. I have been a psychotherapist for 21 years and see this all the time. Living your life in an Eyore like state is miserable. Yess, you may have problems, but they are a lot worse because you are over identifying with them. They are not who you are unless you think they are who you are. Much of this is a self inflicted wound.
6í0 195
TT: 844
Free T: 1.65

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 01:46:17 am »