As you know I am very cautious about supplements, vitamins and minerals. The reason is that the research show taking a vitamin or supplement is simply not natural. Our bodies have been around for ages eating natural foods from the environment and isolating one or two molecules from foods is, as it turns, simply not the same and often quite detrimental.
With just a couple of exceptions, your nutrients need to come from natural foods. This is a tried and true method that has worked for many of supercultures around the world, such as the Okinawans, the Kuna, the Ikarians, the Tarahumara, the Hunza - the list goes on and on. These native peoples have proven time and again that superlative health comes from natural foods, abundant exercise and other common sense lifestyle factors and not from a pill.
Here are just a few examples:
1) Am J Clin Nutr, 1987, 45:1305-12;Clinica Chimica Acta, 2000, 294:1-26
2) Circulation, 1992, 86:1475-84
3) Intl J of Epidem, 199928:645-51; Am Heart J, 1998, 136:480-90
5) Am Fam Physician, 1998, 58:1323-30
7) American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Feb 2007, 32(3):210-216