Quantcast

Author Topic: Prolactin Between 17 and 26 with Testosterone of 407 ng/dl - Is It a Problem?  (Read 6389 times)

Matty1233

• View Profile
Hello,

Looking for some advice.  38 year old male.  I have 2 healthy children and for the last year did not feel myself.  After battling with the doctors I had a serious of blood tests.  The most recent showed elevated FSH (44) and LH (9).  Total Testosterone was 407 and free T was 9.9.  I had a varicocele removed 2 months ago as I thought that could be affecting me.  Also I had 3 Prolactin tests they ranged from 17 to a high of 26.  No medication was offered for this and MRI of pituitary was clear. 

Symptoms are at times loss of Libido and on rare occasion failure to achieve erection.  Libido will be fine for weeks and then disappear   Any Advice?????   
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:16:11 pm by PeakT »

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Those numbers are a bit unusual. We're more used to seeing low and low-normal LH and FSH. Perhaps an hCG stimulation test is indicated to check for primary hypogonadism? Also, read Peak's page on Prolactin in Men.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:34:13 pm by PeakT »
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 3.2 mg TE subQ qd, 2.4 mg TP subQ qd, 20 mcg GnRH subQ 5.25x/d, 6.25 mg DHEA bid, 12.5 mg enclomiphene qod
Approximate levels (peak): TT: 700 ng/dL, E2: 30 pg/mL, DHEA-S: 300 ug/dL, SHBG: 30 nMol/L

Peak Testosterone Forum

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Hello,

Looking for some advice.  38 year old male.  I have 2 healthy children and for the last year did not feel myself.  After battling with the doctors I had a serious of blood tests.  The most recent showed elevated FSH (44) and LH (9).  Total Testosterone was 407 and free T was 9.9.  I had a varicocele removed 2 months ago as I thought that could be affecting me.  Also I had 3 Prolactin tests they ranged from 17 to a high of 26.  No medication was offered for this and MRI of pituitary was clear. 

Symptoms are at times loss of Libido and on rare occasion failure to achieve erection.  Libido will be fine for weeks and then disappear   Any Advice?????

Some doctors dispute this, but I think that prolactin in that range can lower libido quite a bit in some guys.  As prolactin goes up, dopamine usually goes down.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:36:00 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Dr Justin Saya, MD

• View Profile
    • Defy Medical
Hello,

Some doctors dispute this, but I think that prolactin in that range can lower libido quite a bit in some guys.  As prolactin goes up, dopamine usually goes down.

From my experience a VALID reading on prolactin (valid meaning fasting at least 12 hours, no ejaculation at least 24 hours, not taking any meds that raise prolactin) of >20, as Peak noted, often dampens libido and erectile function.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:37:33 pm by PeakT »
Lead Physician & Medical Director
http://www.defymedical.com

NOTE: Comments on this forum are NOT medical advice and are no substitute for individualized patient care. Comments on this forum do not constitute or establish a physician-patient relationship. Please consult your personal physician prior to initiating or changing ANY treatment regimen.

Peak Testosterone Forum

Dr Justin Saya, MD

• View Profile
    • Defy Medical
A short therapeutic trial of cabergoline 0.25mg BIW for 6-8 weeks would answer whether or not the prolactin is the culprit.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:44:30 pm by PeakT »

NOTE: Comments on this forum are NOT medical advice and are no substitute for individualized patient care. Comments on this forum do not constitute or establish a physician-patient relationship. Please consult your personal physician prior to initiating or changing ANY treatment regimen.

davie12

• View Profile
By any chance did you have a tetanus shot or any other type of endocrine disrupting medication? There's another guy who used to post here who was in his 20s who had a very similar symptom  pattern to yours...ie. high FSH, prolactin and varicoceles. Also his testicles shrunk. I don't know if you have that additional symptom as well but that goes along with very high FSH.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:10:21 am by PeakT »
Recovering from adrenal fatigue through Paleo diet+exercise+vitamins/supplements; formerly used HCG & Clomid at various dosages

Matty1233

• View Profile
A short therapeutic trial of cabergoline 0.25mg BIW for 6-8 weeks would answer whether or not the prolactin is the culprit.

I tried that, Dr would  not allow the cab due to the levels being not high enough.  Repeat tests......
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:12:32 am by PeakT »

Matty1233

• View Profile
By any chance did you have a tetanus shot or any other type of endocrine disrupting medication? There's another guy who used to post here who was in his 20s who had a very similar symptom  pattern to yours...ie. high FSH, prolactin and varicoceles. Also his testicles shrunk. I don't know if you have that additional symptom as well but that goes along with very high FSH.

No nothing that I can remember as far as medication.  Never been on anything.  I had a healthy boy 6 years ago no issues.  An ultrasound of testicles did show they were on the smaller size.  But I have not noticed significant shrinkage.  Any ideas??
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:11:03 am by PeakT »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone

I tried that, Dr would  not allow the cab due to the levels being not high enough.  Repeat tests......

Why not get a second opinion?

Btw, you have to realize that insurance-backed systems are more int'd in cost than anything else.  They rarely do things to troubleshoot as Dr. Saya outlined above.  Basically, you have to qualify for acute care which is usually one step away from the grave unfortunately.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

stevenh

• View Profile
You should pull your dhea and dhea s as well.

Dr Justin Saya, MD

• View Profile
    • Defy Medical

Why not get a second opinion?

Btw, you have to realize that insurance-backed systems are more int'd in cost than anything else.  They rarely do things to troubleshoot as Dr. Saya outlined above.  Basically, you have to qualify for acute care which is usually one step away from the grave unfortunately.

Peak - you have an uncanny knack of quite accurately summarizing the "state of affairs" of the current healthcare system  ;)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone

Peak - you have an uncanny knack of quite accurately summarizing the "state of affairs" of the current healthcare system  ;)

Ha ha.  Yeah, I've worked for a PBM, a health insurer and suffered considerably as a participant therein! 

Btw, I recognize that docs and insurance have saved my life - quite literally - many times!  So it's kind of like having an alcoholic parent:  they keep you alive, but you walk out of the house at 18 completely fried...

Peak Testosterone Forum