General Category > Testosterone, Hormones and General Men's Health

Varicocele and Vasectomies

(1/3) > >>

Sam:
Had an interesting discussion with my urologist today.  It looks like they will fix my Varicocele but he commented that I probably shouldn't consider a vasectomy afterwards since both can compromise blood supply to the testicles.  Worse case I could loose a nut in the process.

PeakT:

--- Quote from: Samson1971 on February 14, 2013, 06:21:29 pm ---Had an interesting discussion with my urologist today.  It looks like they will fix my Varicocele but he commented that I probably shouldn't consider a vasectomy afterwards since both can compromise blood supply to the testicles.  Worse case I could loose a nut in the process.

--- End quote ---

Thx for the heads up.  Here are some interesting stats just on the varicocele.  (I didn't know the #s were that high.)

http://www.usadelaware.com/medical_briefs/hydrocele_varicocele_and_scrotal_pain.htm

"With varicocelectomy there is some small risk of loss of the testicle due to vascular injury. The main gonadal artery that supplies the testicle runs with the gonadal vein. There are two smaller arteries that join the spermatic cord in the inguinal canal that can also supply the testicle with blood. An injury to the gonadal artery or all three of these arteries during varicocelectomy could result in a vascular injury to the testicle and functional loss of the testicle. Some literature reports the risk of testicular loss during varicocelectomy as a less than 2% risk but some literature rates the risk as high as 10% risk of loss of the testicle. The risk is probably less than 2% over all of loss of the testicle during a Laparoscopic Varicocelectomy. There is a 5% risk that the varicocele will not resolve with Laparoscopic Varicocelectomy. There is 10% risk that the varicocele will return in time after Laparoscopic Varicocelectomy. "

Sam:
Interesting site and option.

http://www.varicoceles.com/index.htm

PeakT:
Varicocele embolization procedure.  Here is the only I would think relatively minor concern:

"16. If x-rays are used to guide varicocele embolization, is there a danger of radiation exposure?
Although the radiologist guides the catheter with an x-ray machine during embolization, the amount of radiation exposure to the testicle is very low - about equal to the amount received during a chest x-ray. "

(This is on the FAQs page of the above.)

Sam:
I hear ya,  I posted this link also on a different post, but probably similar concerns.   Honestly, my boys aren't putting out much T anyway and no concerns for more kids here so it's worth the risk.  The risk of open varicolectomy i.e. complications, testicle loss, hydrocele formation etc seem higher to me.

http://www.pirion.co.il/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=28&lang=en

Peak,  I think this is an area current Doctors are way overlooking.  My first discussion with my Kaser Doc on this was basically that they only get concerned about them when fertility is of concern.  While this might not get me into the 800's, if it is my issue it could get me back to feeling like a 40 year old.

I think this subject deserves a blog:-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version