Quantcast

Author Topic: Androgenic Effects of IGF-1 (Sexual Function)  (Read 5484 times)

Boxcar

• View Profile
Androgenic Effects of IGF-1 (Sexual Function)
« on: June 05, 2016, 12:27:54 am »
Given the effect of IGF-1 at androgen receptors (http://www.peaktestosterone.com/forum/index.php?topic=10175.0), I started poking around for evidence that this has any clinical significance.  Here's one study:

IGF-1 Levels are Significantly Correlated With Patient-reported Measures of Sexual Function
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/750510

Since there is an association between IGF-1 and testosterone levels, it wouldn't surprise me if this sort of thing is generally buried in the research.

I am going to get my own IGF-1 levels tested, as I suspect they are lowish.  This may account for why adopting aspects of the Standard American Diet seems to bring out more of the androgenic effects of testosterone for me (calm confidence, deeper voice).  Whereas TRT alone has a mostly mood-boosting and painkilling effect for me.
178 lbs 5'8''

Current Treatment: 50 mg testosterone cypionate IM, twice a week
Low T Symptoms: Chronic pelvic pain, and other neuropathic pain.  Mild anxiety, low energy and low motivation
Meds: Amitriptyline (for pain, not depression), Clonidine (for sleep, not blood pressure)

ghce

• View Profile
Re: Androgenic Effects of IGF-1 (Sexual Function)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 03:10:37 am »
Hugely interesting article, must get my levels tested too, though I am a little unsure how to ameliorate the effects if IGF-1 is out of balance
2014 Androderm Patches
2014-2016 Oral Andriol 160mg Daily
June 2016 Clomid/Serophene 12.5mg EOD
September 2016 no TRT all natural and supplements for the time being
February 2017 Testosterone cream 100mg daily

Sept 2016
Testosterone   8.2 nmol/l   9-38
Free Testosterone   239 pmol/l   L   250-800
SHBG:  14    nmol/L   9-60
Free Androgen index   586   >400
Oestradiol    112   pmol/L    <190
LH    2.6 IU/L Adult male   2 - 9 IU/L
FSH  1.4 IU/L Adult male L2 - 12 IU/L

22 November
T 6.8  nmol/L ( 9-38 ) L

March 2017
Testosterone:   45.0  nmol/L ( 9-38 ) H ( 1,323 ng/dl )
Free Testosterone:   1512  pmol/L ( 250-800 ) H
SHBG:   17  nmol/L ( 9-60 )
Plasma IGF-1:   227 ug/L ( 55-198 ) H
Plasma cortisol:   434 nmol/L ( 0600-1000 hrs 170-500 nmol/L )
HbA1c:   36 mmol/mol ( 20-40 )
LH:   <0.1 IU/L
FSH:   0.1 IU/L
DHT Plasma Dihydrotestosterone:   7455   pmol/L ( 223 ng/dl ) 
Reference Range Adult males  1000-6000 pmol/L

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 03:10:37 am »

davie12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 04:10:22 am »
This doesn't surprise me in the least bit. IGF-1 and testosterone are both often discussed in the same light in the context of preventing aging. The same types of activities (ie. HIIT, diet, sleep, etc.) affect IGF-1 and testosterone in precisely the same way by boosting them. Even Dr. Shippen's book often refers to IGF-1 (growth hormone) and testosterone as markers of aging and the notion that keeping them at healthy levels is critical to anti-aging.
Recovering from adrenal fatigue through Paleo diet+exercise+vitamins/supplements; formerly used HCG & Clomid at various dosages

Boxcar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 01:06:36 pm »
Hugely interesting article, must get my levels tested too, though I am a little unsure how to ameliorate the effects if IGF-1 is out of balance

I am not sure if this has been put to theraputic benefit for testosterone-related issues.  But that caveat aside, raising IGF-1 is one of the primary effects of growth hormone.

In terms of diet, animal fat and animal protein raise IGF-1. But I have seen a more intimidate benefit from carbs -- insulin stimulates androgen receptors by an identical mechanism. Androgen receptor stimulation will in-turn stimulate IGF-1 receptors in a sort of positive feedback mechanism.

Caloric deficits and fasting lower IGF-1. Presumably this is the source of a lot of their benefits. Intermittant fasting will lower IGF-1 even after the fast is broken (perhaps why I've found that breakfast is so important).

Basically, anything you might do to lose weight is going to lower IGF-1. Not coincidentally, burning fat necessarily mean raising concentration of the Foxo1 molecule, which is what is also responsible for reducing androgen receptor activity.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 01:13:23 pm by Boxcar »
178 lbs 5'8''

Low T Symptoms: Chronic pelvic pain, and other neuropathic pain.  Mild anxiety, low energy and low motivation
Meds: Amitriptyline (for pain, not depression), Clonidine (for sleep, not blood pressure)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 01:06:36 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 03:29:51 pm »
Lots of research shows, as always, that you don't want to be too high or low.  Here is a nice summary:

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/61/6/1315

--Not to low:

"Low peripheral IGF-1 levels in humans are associated with increased risk of numerous conditions including T2DM, CVD, sarcopenia, osteoporosis, and frailty (29). Similar to sex hormones, the adverse outcomes linked to declining GH/IGF-1 with age have been used as a rationale for GH treatment in the elderly, particularly in so-called “antiaging” clinics. "

--Not too high:

"Side effects of GH include elevated circulating IGF-1 levels, which is an established risk factor for many types of cancer. Furthermore, attenuated insulin/IGF-1 signaling (IIS) in invertebrates and rodents has led to extended life span (31,32), and functional IGF-1R mutations in humans have been linked to exceptional longevity (33)."

Remember that IGF-1 and insulin are married at the hip.  Do you want super low insulin?  No.  (Type I diabetes)  Do you want high insuin? (Metabolic Syndrome)
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

factor5a

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 05:07:30 pm »
Lots of research shows, as always, that you don't want to be too high or low.  Here is a nice summary:

--Not to low:

"Low peripheral IGF-1 levels in humans are associated with increased risk of numerous conditions including T2DM, CVD, sarcopenia, osteoporosis, and frailty (29). Similar to sex hormones, the adverse outcomes linked to declining GH/IGF-1 with age have been used as a rationale for GH treatment in the elderly, particularly in so-called “antiaging” clinics. "

--Not too high:

"Side effects of GH include elevated circulating IGF-1 levels, which is an established risk factor for many types of cancer. Furthermore, attenuated insulin/IGF-1 signaling (IIS) in invertebrates and rodents has led to extended life span (31,32), and functional IGF-1R mutations in humans have been linked to exceptional longevity (33)."

Remember that IGF-1 and insulin are married at the hip.  Do you want super low insulin?  No.  (Type I diabetes)  Do you want high insuin? (Metabolic Syndrome)

Hi Peak

I know that you are against "high" levels, but what is a decent level in your opinion for a guy like us ? ( 50s) . 

54 years

HRT  protocol

62 mgs of Sustenon weekly one IM shot
600 IU HGC  weekly divided in two SQ shots
6 click of  HGH daily
1 ml of Progesteron cream daily
Half pill of Arimidex once a week

Last lab tests

Progesterone,
1.50 ng/mL                                       0.21 - 1.54

Estradiol,
26 pg/mL                                              5 - 66

Testosterone Total

* 989.5 ng/dL                               142.0 - 923.0    ;D

Testosterone Libre (free)

* 31.0 ng/dL                                     4.0 - 30.0      ;D

Testosterone Biodisponible

* 645.0 ng/dL                                        98.0 - 590.0

Sex Hormone Binding Globulin

23.4 nmol/L                                              11.2 - 78.1

Albúmin

3.8 g/dL                                                  3.0 - 5.0

Boxcar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 08:32:51 pm »

--Not to low:

--Not too high:

Hi Peak

I know that you are against "high" levels, but what is a decent level in your opinion for a guy like us ? ( 50s) .

I think Peak has posted this paper elsewhere:

Over time, based on evidence–based medicine, a number of hormonal test levels including IGF-1 had been raised or lowered to meet new criteria standards. In particular, IGF-1 plasma levels have been shown in several studies to be an independent diagnostic tool in Adult Growth Hormone Deficiency (AGHD). Many endocrinology studies link low IGF-1 plasma levels with low levels of other anterior pituitary hormones (i.e., LH, FSH, and TSH). Low IGF-1 is considered by most to be between 84–100 µ/l and numerous studies recommend that raising IGF-1 to high normal range reverses Chronic Medical Diseases (CMD), improves bone mineral density (BMD), and fibromyalgia. Moreover, some studies suggest that low levels of IGF-1 by itself independent of anterior pituitary deficiencies is sufficient to determine AGHD in humans. In order to determine the relationship of low IGF-1 with that of LH, FSH, and TSH levels in subjects with CMD, we evaluated these levels (± SD) in 944 patients. Patients with IGF-1 below 84 µ/l, 100 µ/l, and 150 µ/l were accessed. 9.22% had less than 84 µ/l (SD ± 12.52); 19.9% had less than 100 µ/l (SD ± 9.54); and 51.6 had less than 150 µ/l (SD ± 26.0). Specifically, the percentages found for low LH, FSH, and TSH were only 4.2%, 4.8%, and 6.5%. We conclude that IGF-1 deficiencies occur independent of comorbid deficiencies of LH, FSH, and TSH. Finally, we propose that based on the present investigation, IGF-1 low levels between the range of 84–100 µ/l may be too low to be considered as an independent diagnostic marker to treat AGHD with CMD.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3632344/

This study sucessfully treated fibromyalgia by raising IFG-1 levels from 130-140 to levels over 200:

http://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/pain/myofascial/fibromyalgia/adult-growth-hormone-deficiency-fibromyalgia?page=0,1
178 lbs 5'8''

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 01:15:02 am »

--Not to low:

--Not too high:

Hi Peak

Keep after me.  This is something I have wanted to research.  Actually, I started to dig into what I could find, but there was not a lot out there.  Can't do it now.  Out of town company.   If you find anything out, let me know.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 01:15:02 am »