Quantcast

Author Topic: TRT Effects By Dosage From 50 mg/week to 300 mg  (Read 11774 times)

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
TRT Effects By Dosage From 50 mg/week to 300 mg
« on: May 17, 2016, 12:36:57 am »
[MODERATOR SPLIT FROM HERE: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/forum/index.php?topic=4587.0 ]

So if testosterone only trt might lower little bit of cortisol in physiological amounts of supplementing t,  does sypraphysiological amount of testosterone lower even more? Let's say 250mg of testosterone weekly?

It could cuzz it would shut you down harder according to that school of thought.  Keep in mind that that is not something out of the research though but anecdotal.

This is a 1990 study looking at the effects of six months of various levels of testosterone administration (placebo, 25, 50, 100, 300 mg T enan/week):

Effects of Chronic Testosterone Administration in Normal Men: Safety and Efficacy of High Dosage Testosterone and Parallel Dose-Dependent Suppression of Luteinizing Hormone, Follicle-Stimulating Hormone, and Sperm Production

One point of interest is that apparently none of the ~10 guys in the 300 mg/week cohort seemed to have issues that might arise from elevated estradiol or suppressed cortisol:

... the only side-effects experienced by some men were mild acne, weight gain, and increases in hematocrit. High dosage T did not induce large changes in breast or testicular size, clinically evident prostate or liver enlargement, alterations in behavior or sexual function, or abnormalities in laboratory tests, including liver function tests.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:30:40 pm by PeakT »
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 3.2 mg TE subQ qd, 2.4 mg TP subQ qd, 20 mcg GnRH subQ 5.25x/d, 6.25 mg DHEA bid, 12.5 mg enclomiphene qod
Approximate levels (peak): TT: 700 ng/dL, E2: 30 pg/mL, DHEA-S: 300 ug/dL, SHBG: 30 nMol/L

R3drang3r

• It is what it is!
    • View Profile
Re: TRT Effects By Dosage From 50 mg/week to 300 mg
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 04:12:03 am »
So if testosterone only trt might lower little bit of cortisol in physiological amounts of supplementing t,  does sypraphysiological amount of testosterone lower even more? Let's say 250mg of testosterone weekly?

It could cuzz it would shut you down harder according to that school of thought.  Keep in mind that that is not something out of the research though but anecdotal.

This is a 1990 study looking at the effects of six months of various levels of testosterone administration (placebo, 25, 50, 100, 300 mg T enan/week):

Effects of Chronic Testosterone Administration in Normal Men: Safety and Efficacy of High Dosage Testosterone and Parallel Dose-Dependent Suppression of Luteinizing Hormone, Follicle-Stimulating Hormone, and Sperm Production

One point of interest is that apparently none of the ~10 guys in the 300 mg/week cohort seemed to have issues that might arise from elevated estradiol or suppressed cortisol:

... the only side-effects experienced by some men were mild acne, weight gain, and increases in hematocrit. High dosage T did not induce large changes in breast or testicular size, clinically evident prostate or liver enlargement, alterations in behavior or sexual function, or abnormalities in laboratory tests, including liver function tests.

Interesting Study for the Time, but 1990 is ancient History.  The field of HRT/TRT has Doctors Pioneering the field with new Breakthroughs every day.  I'm sure back in 1990 no one had ever heard or thought of Sub Q injections.  I do see they are doing injections twice a week.  However no mention of Estradiol, which was totally overlooked.  Mild Acne would definitely be a symptom of higher E2 levels.  Personally I would be looking for a much more recent group study to get the most up to date information.
This is only my opinion, as I am not a Doctor.  :)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 04:12:03 am »

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 02:00:43 am »
Interesting Study for the Time, but 1990 is ancient History.  The field of HRT/TRT has Doctors Pioneering the field with new Breakthroughs every day.  I'm sure back in 1990 no one had ever heard or thought of Sub Q injections.  I do see they are doing injections twice a week.  However no mention of Estradiol, which was totally overlooked.  Mild Acne would definitely be a symptom of higher E2 levels.  Personally I would be looking for a much more recent group study to get the most up to date information.

The question was in reference to the effects of supraphysiological TRT, not subQ administration. If the study was performed properly and results are accurately reported then I don't see much to be gained by a repeat. If estradiol were significantly elevated then we might expect reports of sexual function issues, if not gynecomastia.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 3.2 mg TE subQ qd, 2.4 mg TP subQ qd, 20 mcg GnRH subQ 5.25x/d, 6.25 mg DHEA bid, 12.5 mg enclomiphene qod
Approximate levels (peak): TT: 700 ng/dL, E2: 30 pg/mL, DHEA-S: 300 ug/dL, SHBG: 30 nMol/L

TForMe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 05:32:24 pm »
The study is an oldie but a goodie.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 05:32:24 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 10:57:13 pm »
Thx for posting this Cataceous.  I lost track of this study and wanted to really check it out.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 01:47:43 am »
Thx for posting this Cataceous.  I lost track of this study and wanted to really check it out.

Happy to help, even if somewhat inadvertently.

I'm still a little surprised by the ostensible lack of side effects in this study. But maybe that's just a product of perception distortion; guys with TRT problems are overrepresented in the online communities.

R3drang3r

• It is what it is!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 03:56:45 am »
Quote "The question was in reference to the effects of supraphysiological TRT, not subQ administration. If the study was performed properly and results are accurately reported then I don't see much to be gained by a repeat. If estradiol were significantly elevated then we might expect reports of sexual function issues, if not gynecomastia".

My comment about Sub Q is only to illustrate my point that this sutdy is 26 years Old.  Modern medicine forges ahead.  Dr Crisler for one has been Pioneering the field of HRT.  I read the study again and still have concerns for all they over looked.  They had Blinders on focusing on the effects of low and high doses of Testosterone. 
10 years ago I started TRT.  My first two Doctors didn't even check Estradiol.  For me or any of their other Patients they had treated for years.  Imagine that!!  My symptoms grew worse and only through a Forum did someone suggest checking my E2.  It was through the roof at 90 pg/ml.  I contacted a new Dr who my Pharmacists said wrote a lot of Scripts for "T".  Even he never heard of Arimidex.  But he checked with a few Colleagues and said he would administer it to me.  I later asked him how many years he had prescribed Testosterone.  Close to 9 years was his answer.  9 years of administering Intramuscular injections and never  checking Estradiol.  I couldn't believe it.  But this was not uncommon for Doctors years ago.
My point is 26 years ago Doctors were not aware of things that are common knowledge now.  There's no mention of Libido, maybe because they weren't looking for it 26 years ago.  Just as they weren't watching levels of Estradiol.  Back in those days Doctors just handed out Testosterone and never looked at anything else.  Anti Aromatase Drugs weren't even around back then.
If you have Cancer are you going to seek a Treatment from 26 years ago?  I seriously don't think so.  This test is invalid because of it's age.  The knowledge of HRT was in it's Infancy back then.  So many Breakthroughs, and newer studies have outdated it.
I'm not against higher doses of testosterone.  But I am not going to rely on information from a Study done during a time when information on HRT was severely limited and practiced by Doctors back in those days.

ghce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 04:22:24 am »
Quote "The question was in reference to the effects of supraphysiological TRT, not subQ administration. If the study was performed properly and results are accurately reported then I don't see much to be gained by a repeat. If estradiol were significantly elevated then we might expect reports of sexual function issues, if not gynecomastia".

My comment about Sub Q is only to illustrate my point that this sutdy is 26 years Old.  Modern medicine forges ahead.  Dr Crisler for one has been Pioneering the field of HRT.  I read the study again and still have concerns for all they over looked.  They had Blinders on focusing on the effects of low and high doses of Testosterone. 
10 years ago I started TRT.  My first two Doctors didn't even check Estradiol.  For me or any of their other Patients they had treated for years.  Imagine that!!  My symptoms grew worse and only through a Forum did someone suggest checking my E2.  It was through the roof at 90 pg/ml.  I contacted a new Dr who my Pharmacists said wrote a lot of Scripts for "T".  Even he never heard of Arimidex.  But he checked with a few Colleagues and said he would administer it to me.  I later asked him how many years he had prescribed Testosterone.  Close to 9 years was his answer.  9 years of administering Intramuscular injections and never  checking Estradiol.  I couldn't believe it.  But this was not uncommon for Doctors years ago.
My point is 26 years ago Doctors were not aware of things that are common knowledge now.  There's no mention of Libido, maybe because they weren't looking for it 26 years ago.  Just as they weren't watching levels of Estradiol.  Back in those days Doctors just handed out Testosterone and never looked at anything else.  Anti Aromatase Drugs weren't even around back then.
If you have Cancer are you going to seek a Treatment from 26 years ago?  I seriously don't think so.  This test is invalid because of it's age.  The knowledge of HRT was in it's Infancy back then.  So many Breakthroughs, and newer studies have outdated it.
I'm not against higher doses of testosterone.  But I am not going to rely on information from a Study done during a time when information on HRT was severely limited and practiced by Doctors back in those days.

I guess if you don't know what questions to ask  you don't know what to look for and as you say time has moved on and rather than the study being the preserve of researchers in a newish field there has now been time for patients and the general public be it at consulting rooms or forums to widen the criteria re quality of life and not just what some researcher thought was a good outcome.
2014 Androderm Patches
2014-2016 Oral Andriol 160mg Daily
June 2016 Clomid/Serophene 12.5mg EOD
September 2016 no TRT all natural and supplements for the time being
February 2017 Testosterone cream 100mg daily

Sept 2016
Testosterone   8.2 nmol/l   9-38
Free Testosterone   239 pmol/l   L   250-800
SHBG:  14    nmol/L   9-60
Free Androgen index   586   >400
Oestradiol    112   pmol/L    <190
LH    2.6 IU/L Adult male   2 - 9 IU/L
FSH  1.4 IU/L Adult male L2 - 12 IU/L

22 November
T 6.8  nmol/L ( 9-38 ) L

March 2017
Testosterone:   45.0  nmol/L ( 9-38 ) H ( 1,323 ng/dl )
Free Testosterone:   1512  pmol/L ( 250-800 ) H
SHBG:   17  nmol/L ( 9-60 )
Plasma IGF-1:   227 ug/L ( 55-198 ) H
Plasma cortisol:   434 nmol/L ( 0600-1000 hrs 170-500 nmol/L )
HbA1c:   36 mmol/mol ( 20-40 )
LH:   <0.1 IU/L
FSH:   0.1 IU/L
DHT Plasma Dihydrotestosterone:   7455   pmol/L ( 223 ng/dl ) 
Reference Range Adult males  1000-6000 pmol/L

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 11:20:55 am »
...  This test is invalid because of it's age. ...

This is our point of disagreement. Scientific experiments done right are reproducible and valid indefinitely. Would you knock Isaac Newton for not designing his experiments to detect the effects of general relativity? The point is his measurements still hold true today, as do the results of this study.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 03:19:09 pm »

I agree with a ton of what you said.  However, unless the study was poorly designed or the testing equipment invalid and antequated, I cannot see any reason to throw out the DATA.

I capitalized that last word because sometimes the older researchers came to the wrong conclusion about the data.  That happens all the time in science.  Interpretations can change and models.  But I wouldn't be so quick to throw out the data itself which is what I think you are saying?
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

R3drang3r

• It is what it is!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 03:57:23 am »
 :) I agree with Peak T's statement.  Their finding of higher doses of Testosterone were documented.
Considering the length of the test, and the number of subjects involved.  Twenty some odd years later what is the results of time and the number of Patients who have used various amounts of testosterone??
We all know about the people who have developed a host of serious problems caused by over indulgence.  Liver problems, Cancer, and a lot of other problems.  Polycythemia is another serious concern.  As late as 2015 the American Society of Endocrinology posted results showing that TRT can cause Heart Attacks and Strokes. 
You can Google any findings you want to see good or bad.  It's all out there if you look.  Referring to Isaac Newton is like comparing Apples to Oranges. 
Hundreds of years ago Blood Letting was an accepted practice.  Do we slice our wrists today??
Taking Hormones according to Studies done is not like a Chinese menu.  You don't take one from Column A and two from Column B.  You have to look at the whole picture.  Your referring to a Study that is clearly outdated.
I would feel a lot more confident reading a Study done a lot more recently.  That's my only point here.
"I've been on TRT for 10years.  I'm 100% for it.  I've also kept current in reading everything I can get my hands on.  In the beginning it was an uphill battle to get my Doctor to catch up with the latest treatment options.  In 10 years just doing 100mg a week I have seen a complete metamorphosis of my Body.  Today I have minimum Body Fat, and a lot of muscle.  My waist is still 32", the same as when I was 18.  At 18 I weighed 165 lbs.  Today I am 205 pounds, totally solid.  After years of doing a million sit ups and never having a six pack.  10 years of testosterone have given me a six pack as well". 

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 11:57:13 am »
:) I agree with Peak T's statement.  Their finding of higher doses of Testosterone were documented.
Considering the length of the test, and the number of subjects involved.  Twenty some odd years later what is the results of time and the number of Patients who have used various amounts of testosterone??

I believe PeakT was agreeing with me on the point that the data from the study are as valid today as when it was first done; if you run the same study now you should get the similar results. If you're interested in an even longer timeframe for TRT then that's a different study.

We all know about the people who have developed a host of serious problems caused by over indulgence.  Liver problems, Cancer, and a lot of other problems.  ...

These statements are anecdotal and only gain credibility when supported by good scientific research, such as the work under discussion.

As late as 2015 the American Society of Endocrinology posted results showing that TRT can cause Heart Attacks and Strokes.

There doesn't appear to be an American Society of Endocrinology. Let's see what the AACE and ACE actually said in 2015:

1. Epidemiologic studies strongly support the association of low testosterone concentrations and hypogonadism with cardiovascular events and all-cause mortality, especially in elderly men (3,4). However, low testosterone could be a marker of
illness and not a causal factor.

2. TRT favorably changes many cardiovascular risk factors. It decreases fat mass, increases muscle mass, decreases insulin resistance and can reverse metabolic syndrome in some men (5).

3. Randomized controlled trials have not been powered to evaluate the effect of testosterone replacement in men on cardiovascular events or mortality. However, 2 retrospective reports have raised concern that testosterone therapy increases cardiovascular risk (1,2). As reviewed in the accompanying document and in the March 3, 2015 FDA report (available online at: http://www.fda.gov/ drugs/drugsafety/ucm436259.htm), these studies have major flaws precluding meaningful conclusions to be drawn. A more recent retrospective cohort study using enrollment and claims data for Medicare beneficiaries showed no effect of TRT on myocardial infarctions (6). However, this study suffered from the same limitations as those mentioned above.

4. Following a formal in-depth review, the FDA released a new warning and updated labeling on TRT to re ect the possible increased risk of heart attacks and strokes associated with testosterone use. The Committee concurs in the FDA conclusion that the signal for cardiovascular risk is weak and that we need definitive studies.

Your [sic] referring to a Study that is clearly outdated. I would feel a lot more confident reading a Study done a lot more recently.  That's my only point here.

You have yet to clearly articulate how the study is outdated or what's wrong with it that makes you lack confidence in it.

Torrential

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 12:30:57 pm »

Hundreds of years ago Blood Letting was an accepted practice.  Do we slice our wrists today?

Yes. Yes we do. It's called theraputic phlebotomy but that's just another name for bloodletting. To the uninformed bloodletting may seem barbaric, yet great results were achieved over a long period of practice. There is significant science, both recent and "old," indicating reductions in iron levels has important positive influence on a wide range of factors that affect health and mortality.

R3drang3r, assigning or assuming merit to knowledge based on its age is not a productive intellectual exercise. Our ancestors were not stupid. Why would you think otherwise?  Earlier works can be seen as standing up to the test of time - or not, as the case may be.  Newer works have the benefit of an ever growing body of knowledge to build upon. However, bad science is bad science regardless of the era in which it was produced. And the same is true for good science.
Age 54, 6'0", 200#
Dec '15:  T-total 901, T-free 159.1, E2 17, SHBG 28
Mar '16:  T-total 801, T-free 208.8, E2 18, SHBG 14
Jun '16:  T-total 678, T-free 31.9 (above range); E2 9; working to increase SHBG
Sep '16:  T-total 1075, T-free 31.4, e2 50 (wow)
Jan-Mar '16:  T-cyp 120mg per week @34mg EOD; 300IU HCG EOD, 0.25 Anastrozole E3D
Apr '16: T-cyp 105mg per week @30mg EOD; 300IU HCG EOD; 0.25mg Anastrozole E3D
Jun '16:  Low E2: dropping Anastrozole, reducing HCG to 250IU EOD.  T-Cyp 16ml/32mg EOD
Supps:  SloNiacin, aspirin, Vit. C., aged garlic,

R3drang3r

• It is what it is!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 06:04:09 pm »
Comparing Medicine to Science is unfair and unrealistic.

Scientific discoveries stand the test of time until they are disapproved. 

Medicine on the other hand is constantly changing as newer discoveries and improved technology like DNA come along.

Years ago TRT for the general public was non existent.  Now you have Aging Clinics that specialize in HRT.

Drugs like Arimidex weren't approved by the FDA until 1996.  Even initially it was approved for Women for Breast Cancer.  Like other drugs as time goes on they find other beneficial uses for it.

The method we inject testosterone has advanced as well.  The one Big shot weekly is a thing of the past.  Now Endocrinologists have studies showing Sub Q is better doing multiple weekly shots using a smaller syringe.

The introduction of other Hormones to augment HRT has evolved like HCG.

My only concern is relying on an Old Study where a lot of today's knowledge is missing.  It was a short duration study with a small group of People. 

We all know higher blood serum levels of testosterone unchecked can lead to other problems.  Other problems the Study didn't take into account.  Estradiol increases, Gynocomastia, Hemotacrit, Enlarged Prostrate BHP, and other physical and mental issues. 

Taking testosterone without monitoring other aspects of your Body is playing Russian Roulette.

That's exactly what the ancient study did.  They looked at testosterone and only Testosterone.  That's my concern.  Surely some Doctor has done a more recent complete study of testosterone taking all other aspects into consideration. 

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 06:46:11 pm »
We all know higher blood serum levels of testosterone unchecked can lead to other problems.  Other problems the Study didn't take into account.  Estradiol increases, Gynocomastia, Hemotacrit, Enlarged Prostrate BHP, and other physical and mental issues. 

I refer you back to the quote in the first post of the thread.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 06:46:11 pm »