Quantcast

Author Topic: Visit with Endocrinologist results in no action  (Read 14036 times)

JonnyV

• View Profile
Re: Visit with Endocrinologist results in no action
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 10:00:01 pm »
What's your weight? Being overweight, even just a little is never good for T levels.
Weight could be better, dropped a couple of pounds in the last few weeks but it's been slow. I'm 200lbs at 5'7''. Decent amount of muscle but yes I do have a good amount of fat to lose. Working on it as we speak.

Mr.L

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 04:17:04 pm »
As I mentioned, I will probably have a few ideas/comments for you as well.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks bud! I am currently taking Vitamin A, D, K2, selenium, and Krill oil. Thinking about taking Zinc. Would love to hear your thoughts.

My doctor is giving me pushback on doing a micronutrient panel....grrrr :(

Yeah, you are probably going to have to do that yourself if you want a comprehensive panel. I bet Defy would help you with a script but you would have to turn it in to your ins and I doubt they would pay for it. However they may not pay for it if your primary orders it. I have heard of a company called SpectraCell Laboratories that does the micro-nutrient panel but I would recommend you call Defy first as they may know where to have it done cheaper.
In all honesty, I feel like that would be grasping at straws. If you eat a healthy diet on top of the supplements you mentioned and you have no gut problems you shouldn't be deficient. You could consider magnesium and Zinc as you mentioned but they are only going to help if you are deficient. Most of your nutrition should come from food and not supplements. So if you are eating a healthy diet full of fruits and veggies and some healthy fat(and whatever protein you choose) and your T is still low AND YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS you should just save yourself the time and frustration and call Defy or find another doctor that knows what they are doing. 

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 04:17:04 pm »

Torrential

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 04:55:40 pm »
Just for information, my insurance has processed the bills for all labwork ordered by my TRT doc who is not my primary physician.  This is a Good Thing because I also get the benefit of the insurance company negotiated rate.  On one the $1,500 rack rate dropped to $78, for example.

One thing I've learned by speaking with the lab techs:  The rack rate shown above is for insurance-covered patients.  Most labs (including Quest and Labcorp) have a different pricing schedule for patients not covered by insurance.  I don't know how that would compare to the rates offered by Discounted Labs and other self managed testing services.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:57:21 pm by Torrential »
Age 54, 6'0", 200#
Dec '15:  T-total 901, T-free 159.1, E2 17, SHBG 28
Mar '16:  T-total 801, T-free 208.8, E2 18, SHBG 14
Jun '16:  T-total 678, T-free 31.9 (above range); E2 9; working to increase SHBG
Sep '16:  T-total 1075, T-free 31.4, e2 50 (wow)
Jan-Mar '16:  T-cyp 120mg per week @34mg EOD; 300IU HCG EOD, 0.25 Anastrozole E3D
Apr '16: T-cyp 105mg per week @30mg EOD; 300IU HCG EOD; 0.25mg Anastrozole E3D
Jun '16:  Low E2: dropping Anastrozole, reducing HCG to 250IU EOD.  T-Cyp 16ml/32mg EOD
Supps:  SloNiacin, aspirin, Vit. C., aged garlic,

JonnyV

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 10:47:24 pm »
Yeah, you are probably going to have to do that yourself if you want a comprehensive panel. I bet Defy would help you with a script but you would have to turn it in to your ins and I doubt they would pay for it. However they may not pay for it if your primary orders it. I have heard of a company called SpectraCell Laboratories that does the micro-nutrient panel but I would recommend you call Defy first as they may know where to have it done cheaper.
In all honesty, I feel like that would be grasping at straws. If you eat a healthy diet on top of the supplements you mentioned and you have no gut problems you shouldn't be deficient. You could consider magnesium and Zinc as you mentioned but they are only going to help if you are deficient. Most of your nutrition should come from food and not supplements. So if you are eating a healthy diet full of fruits and veggies and some healthy fat(and whatever protein you choose) and your T is still low AND YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS you should just save yourself the time and frustration and call Defy or find another doctor that knows what they are doing.
If I go the route where I pay for a Spectracell test myself, maybe I can go through Defy and try to get it paid by my insurance. Great idea - I know it's not a high probability chance but it's worth a shot.

My nutrition is pretty good but I know that I have a Vitamin D deficiency when I don't supplement, and I haven't been for a while.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 10:47:24 pm »

JonnyV

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 10:48:07 pm »
Just for information, my insurance has processed the bills for all labwork ordered by my TRT doc who is not my primary physician.  This is a Good Thing because I also get the benefit of the insurance company negotiated rate.  On one the $1,500 rack rate dropped to $78, for example.

One thing I've learned by speaking with the lab techs:  The rack rate shown above is for insurance-covered patients.  Most labs (including Quest and Labcorp) have a different pricing schedule for patients not covered by insurance.  I don't know how that would compare to the rates offered by Discounted Labs and other self managed testing services.
Damn, thanks for sharing that. Cross your fingers for me.

JonnyV

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 07:21:41 pm »
Subjectively, I have been feeling better, so I wanted to get a test. After just a week of doing the vitamin stack I stole from The 4-Hour Body (Vitamin A, D, K2, selenium, and Krill oil), I tested my total T again:

Total T - 404 ng/dL (range: 348 - 1197) (up from 356 and 337 a couple weeks back)
Free T direct - 15.9 pg/mL (range: 8 - 25.1)

Not great but this is better than the 337 total T I was at a couple weeks ago. Does that Free T look good? I'm gonna keep taking the supplements and try another test in 1 month. I will keep you guys posted.

Peak - any update on your post? I am patiently waiting :).

davie12

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 08:36:43 pm »
Subjectively, I have been feeling better, so I wanted to get a test. After just a week of doing the vitamin stack I stole from The 4-Hour Body (Vitamin A, D, K2, selenium, and Krill oil), I tested my total T again:

Total T - 404 ng/dL (range: 348 - 1197) (up from 356 and 337 a couple weeks back)

Not great but this is better than the 337 total T I was at a couple weeks ago. Does that Free T look good? I'm gonna keep taking the supplements and try another test in 1 month. I will keep you guys posted.

Even though that total T number is just so-so, a free T reading like that should translate into good morning wood, libido, overall wellness, etc. Thats like a free T number corresponding to 600.
Recovering from adrenal fatigue through Paleo diet+exercise+vitamins/supplements; formerly used HCG & Clomid at various dosages

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 09:42:52 pm »

Damn, thanks for sharing that. Cross your fingers for me.

Hey, did you see my page on hair testing, Jonny?
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

JonnyV

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2016, 02:26:07 am »
Even though that total T number is just so-so, a free T reading like that should translate into good morning wood, libido, overall wellness, etc. Thats like a free T number corresponding to 600.

Well that's good to hear! I wonder how this number correlates with my previous Free T results:

Total Testosterone: 337 ng/dL (range: 300-1080)
Testosterone free: 79 pg/mL (range: 47-244)
Testosterone free %: 2.3% (range: 1.6-2.9)

Not sure what the different tests mean in relation to each other.

JonnyV

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 02:27:06 am »
I didn't know you put it up! I'll check it out now, thanks dude.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 02:36:15 pm »
I didn't know you put it up! I'll check it out now, thanks dude.

Check it out:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Hair_Testing_Nutritional
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

JonnyV

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 12:26:03 am »
Check it out:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Hair_Testing_Nutritional

Thanks Peak. I am probably going to do the hair test - I will just need some help interpreting the data if that's ok :).

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 02:52:48 am »

Except that he is not on TRT and yet has a pretty low SHBG.  This may be an early sign of insulin resistance.  Imo 15-20 is kind of the grey area.  I would really focus on insulin/glucose parameters and see how you are doing.  If you have quite a bit of visceral fat, prehypertension, medium fasting blood sugar, high fasting insulin levels, post meal glucose surges - any of those things - then start trying to reverse that asap. 

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/how_to_cure_low_shbg

You're a young guy, so none of the above may apply.  But it is worth looking at.  Trust me that all of the guys with low SHBG (<15) would trade that extra free testosterone for insulin sensitivity any day...

JonnyV

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 05:26:08 am »
Except that he is not on TRT and yet has a pretty low SHBG.  This may be an early sign of insulin resistance.  Imo 15-20 is kind of the grey area.  I would really focus on insulin/glucose parameters and see how you are doing.  If you have quite a bit of visceral fat, prehypertension, medium fasting blood sugar, high fasting insulin levels, post meal glucose surges - any of those things - then start trying to reverse that asap. 

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/how_to_cure_low_shbg

You're a young guy, so none of the above may apply.  But it is worth looking at.  Trust me that all of the guys with low SHBG (<15) would trade that extra free testosterone for insulin sensitivity any day...

Interesting, thanks Peak. If I had to guess I would say that my insulin dynamics are pretty good, but I haven't tested that in a while. Here's what I do know:

-90% of the time I am on a ketogenic diet
-Fasting glucose is always between 85-100
-Last A1c reading was 4.7, down from 5.0 and 5.2 before that

The A1c makes me think I am doing pretty well, but an OGTT would really tell the truth. I suspect I know why my fasting glucose is on the higher side on a ketogenic diet - but no conclusive evidence. I also have a good amount of bodyfat to lose.

JonnyV

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 05:28:41 am »
BTW - anxiety has been better but still pops up and I have had to take Xanax twice to get through a couple of days this past week. It was a super low dose (.25mg) but I am still worried about it. In a weird way I feel guilty about taking it because I am afraid of addiction and I don't want to depend on it, but it does help -a lot-.

I might make a separate topic about it but I am curious what people think about taking Xanax once in a while until I figure this whole thing out.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 05:28:41 am »