Quantcast

Author Topic: Health or Dietary Changes that have seemed to have a positive effect for me  (Read 73739 times)

haole

• View Profile
First thanks to Peak for the mention of walking/cardio and the emphasis on blood flow!

Some combination of the following things (most of which are discussed on the main site) have seemed to give my erection another gear (harder, longer, or better duration).
[40 year old male, Caucasian, 6'1 170ish pounds moderately active)

1. Walking almost every day 30 minutes to 2 hours.
2.  Oatmeal (not instant) or oat bran almost every day, unless I am deliberately skipping breakfast.
3.  40-60 grams of legumes a day, lentils or black beans.
4.  Switched from coffee to black or green tea, 4 to 6 cups seems to be the sweet spot.
5.  Cocoa powder in the last week seems to have been another factor.

other potential factors:
6.  I take supplemental magnesium (cheap magnesium oxide)
7.  Zinc every other day
8.  Grass-fed beef liver cooked with onions, and kale (2-3 times per week)
9.  Plain sugar free yogurt.
10.  2 soft boiled eggs, approximately 6 days a week.
11.  High dose instant release niacin (500-1,000 mg) 3-5 times per week
12.  A 3 oz tin of sardines, 7 days a week.
13.  Omega 3 to 6 ratio has been about 1 to 2 for a month now.
14.  No processed sugar, soda, or high fructose corn syrup, minimal vegetable oil.

Getting my blood-work done this week (cholesterol, Testosterone, and a few other targets).  Sexual frequency has seemed to track the dietary changes, 5-8 times per week, though erection quality was suffering a tad at 7-8 times per week).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:52:34 pm by haole »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Nice!

I really appreciate this kind of post and was hoping that this is one thing that would occur on the forum - guys saying what works and what doesn't.

I've got a million comments as always, but, for the most part, I'll just say congrats on the improvements...
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

haole

• View Profile
15.  Wife and I split a pomegranate tonight, may start juicing it or buying the POM juice, depending on the price difference.  I do like getting the extra fiber eating the seeds though. 

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
15.  Wife and I split a pomegranate tonight, may start juicing it or buying the POM juice, depending on the price difference.  I do like getting the extra fiber eating the seeds though.

Can't argue with that!  (Well, unless, you are on medication and then I would talk to the doc first since pomegranate can change absorption rates...
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

Blade78

• View Profile

11.  High dose instant release niacin (500-1,000 mg) 3-5 times per week

12.  A 3 oz tin of sardines, 7 days a week.
14.  No processed sugar, soda, or high fructose corn syrup, minimal vegetable oil.

Getting my blood-work done this week (cholesterol, Testosterone, and a few other targets).  Sexual frequency has seemed to track the dietary changes, 5-8 times per week, though erection quality was suffering a tad at 7-8 times per week).

Great post.... is the niacin to help lower cholestrol? 
“Don’t you feel good when you go to the gym?’ Not at all. There’s too many people in-shape there. When I go to McDonald’s I feel great. At McDonald’s I’m Matthew McConaughey.” --Jim Gaffigan - Mr. Universe

haole

• View Profile
As a preventative yes,  it's also a pleasant mellow feeling after the flush wears off.  There's some Studies that indicates it creates a rise in growth hormone after consumption independent of exercise.

Blade78

• View Profile
As a preventative yes,  it's also a pleasant mellow feeling after the flush wears off.  There's some Studies that indicates it creates a rise in growth hormone after consumption independent of exercise.

I take 500mg and thought I should take more
Never read about the hgh increase, just thought it helped lower cholestrol or reduce artero plaque
“Don’t you feel good when you go to the gym?’ Not at all. There’s too many people in-shape there. When I go to McDonald’s I feel great. At McDonald’s I’m Matthew McConaughey.” --Jim Gaffigan - Mr. Universe

haole

• View Profile
I read about the Niacin GH link on Ned Kock's Blog (Health Correlator)
http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com/2010/06/niacin-turbocharges-growth-hormone.html

Posting links okay in here to external sources?

haole

• View Profile
Found this on Pub Med Today
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23425925
Age-associated changes in hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular function in middle-aged and older men are modified by weight change and lifestyle factors: longitudinal results from the European Male Ageing Study.
Camacho EM, Huhtaniemi IT, O'Neill TW, Finn JD, Pye SR, Lee DM, Tajar A, Bartfai G, Boonen S, Casanueva FF, Forti G, Giwercman A, Han TS, Kula K, Keevil B, Lean ME, Pendleton N, Punab M, Vanderschueren D, Wu FC; EMAS Group.
Source

Andrology Research Unit, Institute of Human Development, Centre for Endocrinology and Diabetes, University of Manchester, Old St Mary's Building, Hathersage Road, Manchester M13 9WL, UK.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

Health and lifestyle factors are associated with variations in serum testosterone levels in ageing men. However, it remains unclear how age-related changes in testosterone may be attenuated by lifestyle modifications. The objective was to investigate the longitudinal relationships between changes in health and lifestyle factors with changes in hormones of the reproductive endocrine axis in ageing men.
DESIGN:

A longitudinal survey of 2736 community-dwelling men aged 40-79 years at baseline recruited from eight centres across Europe. Follow-up assessment occurred mean (±s.d.) 4.4±0.3 years later.
RESULTS:

PAIRED TESTOSTERONE RESULTS WERE AVAILABLE FOR 2395 MEN. MEAN (S.D.) ANNUALISED HORMONE CHANGES WERE AS FOLLOWS: testosterone -0.1±0.95 nmol/l; free testosterone (FT) -3.83±16.8 pmol/l; sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) 0.56±2.5 nmol/l and LH 0.08±0.57 U/l. Weight loss was associated with a proportional increase, and weight gain a proportional decrease, in testosterone and SHBG. FT showed a curvilinear relationship to weight change; only those who gained or lost ≥15% of weight showed a significant change (in the same direction as testosterone). Smoking cessation was associated with a greater decline in testosterone than being a non-smoker, which was unrelated to weight change. Changes in number of comorbid conditions or physical activity were not associated with significant alterations in hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular (HPT) axis function.
CONCLUSIONS:

Body weight and lifestyle factors influence HPT axis function in ageing. Weight loss was associated with a rise, and weight gain a fall, in testosterone, FT and SHBG. Weight management appears to be important in maintaining circulating testosterone in ageing men, and obesity-associated changes in HPT axis hormones are reversible following weight reduction.

Bolding is mine, smoking cessation may show a decrease because nicotine kicks up the dopamine.   
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:23:00 pm by haole »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Yes, weight loss is huge.  That's why I emphasize it on the forum and in one of my books.  I really need to give it more attention on my site I suppose as it gets lost in all the pages.  But, yes, you can in some case double or more your testosterone if you lose around 50+ pounds and your T/E2 can improve incredibly.

Sam

• View Profile
Re: Health or Dietary Changes that have seemed to have a positive effect for me
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 06:46:09 pm »
I'll point out however that I dropped over 30lbs and went from 20+% body fat to 12% and my Total and Free testosterone went down.  I've managed to get it up a with sleep improvements but I think my issue is the Varicocele.  We will see after I get the surgery.

haole

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 09:54:49 pm »
Ouch hopefully post recovery from the surgery everything starts moving in a positive direction for you!

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 10:07:19 pm »
I'll point out however that I dropped over 30lbs and went from 20+% body fat to 12% and my Total and Free testosterone went down.  I've managed to get it up a with sleep improvements but I think my issue is the Varicocele.  We will see after I get the surgery.

This reminded me:  you have to watch your calories while you are losing weight.  Most guys when they are losing weight really cut back on calories - maybe 25-50% - and if you do this your testosterone will fall significantly.  Imo it's better to slowly lose weight and not hammer your testosterone too much along the way.  But I know that's tough for some personality types...

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 10:32:05 pm »
Any idea on recovery time once returning to light moderate exercise and a higher calorie intake?   

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 10:56:14 pm »
Any idea on recovery time once returning to light moderate exercise and a higher calorie intake?

2 week
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

I lost over 75lbs. In 10 weeks, and my testosterone levels almost doubled. But before I tested to look for improvement I took 2 weeks off, doing what that linked says
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:08:40 pm by watchntv »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 10:56:14 pm »