Quantcast

Author Topic: What is low LDL?  (Read 7619 times)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
What is low LDL?
« on: February 22, 2013, 05:15:01 pm »
I'm getting asked what is low and high LDL?  Well, that depends, as always, on your goals.  But if you're the typical guy on this board with endothelial dysfunction and a lot of arterial plaque, you want to reverse that process and actually get rid of some of the arteriosclerosis. 

Well, here is an intriguing study that shows that this occurs, when taking a hefty dose of statins unfortunately, in the 60-70 range:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=21694416
"Safety and Efficacy of Achieving Very Low Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Levels With Rosuvastatin 40 mg Daily (from the ASTEROID Study)"

Now I don't like statins myself - don't quit any medications w/o talking to your doc though - for many reasons that I've outlined here:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/statins

Btw, they also reportedly increase arachidonic acid, although I haven't had a change to research and post that yet.

Anyway, my point is that this statin study even shows that as you lower the ol' LDL, there is a sweet spot where you actually get your arteries back.  This is one of the many reasons a Low Fat Diet works so well, it naturally lowers that LDL and if it's low glycemic will also give a good particle size profile according to one study.

THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Ken

• View Profile
Re: What is low LDL?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 10:12:28 pm »
Regarding statins, I can't cite a specific study, but I know there have been some that claim to show a link between statin use and diminished risk for Alzheimer's.  So there are other studies to indicate that they are beneficial even beyond cholesterol reduction.  Of course, I'm sure you probably already know this but thought I would offer it up.

Also, I have been taking a minimal daily dose of Zocor for about 3 years now with no side effects or issues and my last LDL was 110 and total was 195.  Before taking the Zocor, I was running at about 225 total.  I didn't really improve my diet from 3 years ago, so I can fairly conclude that the Zocor dropped my total.

And lastly, I must admit my diet is not great (not terrible either I suppose).  Still holding at ~13% BMI though.  If I stopped eating a lot of the junk that I still eat I'm guessing I could get that number down to the 10% or 11% range that I like.  But that's no fun!  ;D
Wt: 210lb
Ht: 6'1"
BF% 12.5

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 10:12:28 pm »

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 10:20:54 pm »

And lastly, I must admit my diet is not great (not terrible either I suppose).  Still holding at ~13% BMI though.  If I stopped eating a lot of the junk that I still eat I'm guessing I could get that number down to the 10% or 11% range that I like.  But that's no fun!  ;D
13%. Bodyfat?
I dunno what 13%BMI is?

You can eat anything and get to 10% bodyfat, even junk flood

All that matter are total calories
“Don’t you feel good when you go to the gym?’ Not at all. There’s too many people in-shape there. When I go to McDonald’s I feel great. At McDonald’s I’m Matthew McConaughey.” --Jim Gaffigan - Mr. Universe

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 11:28:27 pm »
BMI = Body Mass Index, which basically is equal to body fat percentage.  My comment about diet was really more aimed at the cholesteral topic.  Also, I didn't just mean quality of food but meant amount of food as well. As in, if I ate better quality food and controlled total calories I could get back to 10 or 11% and have even better cholesterol numbers.

For example:
I would think if one ate only a shellfish and cheese diet but kept total calories under control that they could maintain a good BMI but would have lousy blood panels (at least in terms of cholesterol).  Make sense now?

Done here with this thread.  Didn't mean to even get into this to this level.

BF% 12.5

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 11:28:27 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 01:35:36 am »
Regarding statins, I can't cite a specific study, but I know there have been some that claim to show a link between statin use and diminished risk for Alzheimer's.  So there are other studies to indicate that they are beneficial even beyond cholesterol reduction.  Of course, I'm sure you probably already know this but thought I would offer it up.

Also, I have been taking a minimal daily dose of Zocor for about 3 years now with no side effects or issues and my last LDL was 110 and total was 195.  Before taking the Zocor, I was running at about 225 total.  I didn't really improve my diet from 3 years ago, so I can fairly conclude that the Zocor dropped my total.

Statins are not consummate evil.  I'm not saying that.  But they do a lot of stuff that no one tells the patient about and that's what bothers me.

Here is a big question for you:  how many servings of fruits and vegetables do you eat each day?  This is huge and if the junk/processed foods are substituting for those, then imo that's a big mistake.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 01:43:31 am »
I have a buddy on statins and he has had some chronic pain and weakness in one arm.   I seemed to remember reading somewhere that this is a side effect of long-term statin use.  Or he masturbates to much ;D

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 02:26:25 am »
I have a buddy on statins and he has had some chronic pain and weakness in one arm.   I seemed to remember reading somewhere that this is a side effect of long-term statin use.  Or he masturbates to much ;D

Yeah, blame it on the statins, eh?

No, they very commonly cause muscle issues.  One theory is that it is the reduction in CoQ10 from statins, but it's like more than this.

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 05:51:15 am »
BMI = Body Mass Index, which basically is equal to body fat percentage.  My comment about diet was really more aimed at the cholesteral topic.  Also, I didn't just mean quality of food but meant amount of food as well. As in, if I ate better quality food and controlled total calories I could get back to 10 or 11% and have even better cholesterol numbers.

For example:
I would think if one ate only a shellfish and cheese diet but kept total calories under control that they could maintain a good BMI but would have lousy blood panels (at least in terms of cholesterol).  Make sense now?

Done here with this thread.  Didn't mean to even get into this to this level.
Wrong
BMI and bodyfat percentage aren't at all the same thing
Yes, calories are what matter to lose/gain bodyfat
Realize if you overate anything you'd gain fat, be it junk food or fruit/oatmeal

Obesity will lead to increased cholestrol/etc

HoPe this helps you
“Don’t you feel good when you go to the gym?’ Not at all. There’s too many people in-shape there. When I go to McDonald’s I feel great. At McDonald’s I’m Matthew McConaughey.” --Jim Gaffigan - Mr. Universe

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 04:46:49 pm »
Mr TV,

If they are not the same thing (BMI and BF%) why don't you enlighten us with exactly what the difference is instead of just posting another one of your rude replies.

Thanks for the warning on obesity though.  At 13% BF I'm right around the corner.  Please.

Didn't your mother teach you if you have nothing ever nice to say then don't say anything?

Seriously dude, I've only been on this cite for a few weeks and I see a trend in your posts: abrasive and negative.  While everybody else offers up helpful and constructive information, you seem to just want to bitch at everyone.

Go watch more TV, but be careful, "obesity will lead to increased cholesterol"
BF% 12.5

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 06:40:00 am »
Mr TV,

If they are not the same thing (BMI and BF%) why don't you enlighten us with exactly what the difference is instead of just posting another one of your rude replies.

Thanks for the warning on obesity though.  At 13% BF I'm right around the corner.  Please.

Didn't your mother teach you if you have nothing ever nice to say then don't say anything?

Seriously dude, I've only been on this cite for a few weeks and I see a trend in your posts: abrasive and negative.  While everybody else offers up helpful and constructive information, you seem to just want to bitch at everyone.

Go watch more TV, but be careful, "obesity will lead to increased cholesterol"
I was on a PDA did not have a keyboard to use so my posts were short and lacked the hand holding you seem to need?

Google can easily tell you how Bodyfat percentage and BMI are defined as being.
you wonder what My mother taught me?  no, my mother never taught me anything that ridiculous to say only nice things, why would she?  Get some balls and say things that have meaning.

I dont like BMI and try not to use it, unless it is also used as a form of measurement/baseline as it is in this collection of data
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22530540
Body mass index and risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer and all-cause mortality.
Katzmarzyk PT, Reeder BA, Elliott S, Joffres MR, Pahwa P, Raine KD, Kirkland SA, Paradis G.
Source

Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808-4124, USA. Peter.Katzmarzyk@pbrc.ed

I laughed at your attempt to be funny?/insult me with my username,   
I recommend you take a lighter view of people on the internet, free message boards, and try to understand their intent before you stress yourself out thinking incorrect thoughts.
 8)

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 05:09:56 pm »
"I recommend you take a lighter view of people on the internet, free message boards, and try to understand their intent before you stress yourself out thinking incorrect thoughts."

And I suggest you take your own advice.
BF% 12.5

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 07:08:29 pm »

And I suggest you take your own advice.
why suggest that to me?
 I didn't try to insult you, nor do you see me posting inflammatory remarks toward you or anyone here? 
The only "personal" posts I have toward someone are what I post to thank Peak for what he has done for other men.
Take it easy, Ken, Use this site as a tool to help your life be better.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 07:08:29 pm »