Quantcast

Author Topic: T and SHBG dropping with Low Cholesterol  (Read 111977 times)

electrify

• View Profile
T and SHBG dropping with Low Cholesterol
« on: September 19, 2016, 01:35:21 pm »
So I am not on TRT at the moment and here are my results. Last month (off TRT) my T was 450/E2 20 so I had recovered.

Now randomly my T has decreased to 380 which of course could just be fluctuations. But E2 has crashed to 10. Absolutely nothing done in between. I did the test cause of random depression that cropped up at school.

Only thing that happened is cholesterol levels dropped to below 100 (98) and LDL below 40 (37) So maybe that has influenced things and caused this random drop. I'm positive this low cholesterol is contributing to this entire issue. Maybe gene therapy in the future can fix it and Testosterone for good.

But another thing is my SHBG is back to 21 no TRT. Earlier this year it was all the way up at 30 no TRT. Even with TRT I had it around 25. So don't know what is happening there.

In the summer I was home and the only exercise was the gym compared to school where there is a lot of cardio/walking. Could this play a role in dropping SHBG?

Also I probably will just get on T again with this new doc but will it be a problem now with lower SHBG? Cause T lowers SHBG even more right? TRT has always worked in the beginning for me and its part of the reason I went off in the summer so I can experience the benefits during the semester. Its just hard to manage the other hormones like cortisol, pregnenolone, etc while on it mine tank.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:37:40 pm by electrify »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: T and SHBG dropping with Low Cholesterol
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 06:03:29 pm »
So I am not on TRT at the moment and here are my results. Last month (off TRT) my T was 450/E2 20 so I had recovered.

Now randomly my T has decreased to 380 which of course could just be fluctuations. But E2 has crashed to 10. Absolutely nothing done in between. I did the test cause of random depression that cropped up at school.

Only thing that happened is cholesterol levels dropped to below 100 (98) and LDL below 40 (37) So maybe that has influenced things and caused this random drop. I'm positive this low cholesterol is contributing to this entire issue. Maybe gene therapy in the future can fix it and Testosterone for good.

But another thing is my SHBG is back to 21 no TRT. Earlier this year it was all the way up at 30 no TRT. Even with TRT I had it around 25. So don't know what is happening there.

In the summer I was home and the only exercise was the gym compared to school where there is a lot of cardio/walking. Could this play a role in dropping SHBG?

Also I probably will just get on T again with this new doc but will it be a problem now with lower SHBG? Cause T lowers SHBG even more right? TRT has always worked in the beginning for me and its part of the reason I went off in the summer so I can experience the benefits during the semester. Its just hard to manage the other hormones like cortisol, pregnenolone, etc while on it mine tank.

Yes, testosterone will lower it some more.  I would guess to around 17 or so in your case.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 06:03:29 pm »

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 06:11:08 pm »
Your cholesterol dropped below 100?  TOTAL CHOLESTEROL??? 

All hormones are created from cholesterol.  below 100 can't be good.  Any ideas on how you got so low?
Protocol: 25 mg T Cyp + 25 IU HCG M,W,F + 2 clicks T Cream + 15mg DHEA + 15mg Pregnenalone daily.
12/2018 test results: TT: 1054 ng/dL (264-916), FT: 17.2 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 21.6 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0)

croaker24

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 06:59:40 pm »

All hormones are created from cholesterol.  below 100 can't be good.  Any ideas on how you got so low?

And, how do you plan to get it back up?

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 06:59:40 pm »

electrify

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 07:04:13 pm »

Yep you read that correctly wasn't a typo--my Total chol dropped below 100. Genetically I am low cholesterol but even for that I have numbers that are 110-120. So this was pretty random maybe related to me not getting enough fat in my diet. I just wasn't paying attention to it but then again its like who really has to pay attention to that right.

It seems like I need a higher amount of fat in my diet otherwise the chol levels tank cause my liver/body for whatever reason doesn't synthesize enough on its own like most people. Ive read some things about the gut health as well which I had a test on recently and apparantly the gut microbiome also influences cholesterol in both directions. But don't know the exact connection for me.

Im working on probiotics for the gut but just need symptom relief for school. Which is the main reason I was wondering whether an SHBG drop would be an issue on TRT. But idk my SHBG has been all over the place. Ive had it as high as 30 before. Maybe gaining weight (but that was good weight to gain) and lack of exercise dropped it

Boxcar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 09:20:25 pm »
Hey electrify, It sounds like your free testosterone should actually be higher, given how much your SHBG dropped.  I don't know how easy it is for the average person to significantly increase SHBG, but I have seen a few examples online (from dietary changes and increased exercise).  I doubled my SHBG with a low carb diet, but I definitely prefer the way I feel with carbs -- even if it does mean more injections, it's more than worth the extra effort.

I know that pregnenalone goes down with TRT, but it seems like HCG and/or supplementation should fix that easily.  Did you have trouble dialing that in?

I am very interested to see how things progress for you with probiotics.
178 lbs 5'8''

Current Treatment: 50 mg testosterone cypionate IM, twice a week
Low T Symptoms: Chronic pelvic pain, and other neuropathic pain.  Mild anxiety, low energy and low motivation
Meds: Amitriptyline (for pain, not depression), Clonidine (for sleep, not blood pressure)

electrify

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 10:10:30 pm »
Hey electrify, It sounds like your free testosterone should actually be higher, given how much your SHBG dropped.  I don't know how easy it is for the average person to significantly increase SHBG, but I have seen a few examples online (from dietary changes and increased exercise).  I doubled my SHBG with a low carb diet, but I definitely prefer the way I feel with carbs -- even if it does mean more injections, it's more than worth the extra effort.

I know that pregnenalone goes down with TRT, but it seems like HCG and/or supplementation should fix that easily.  Did you have trouble dialing that in?

Yea the preg is what is hard to dial in but im hoping with this new dr who also did the gut test will know how to manage that aspect of it. TRT itself is easy enough for me cause I don't need E2 management at all. Its the non T related stuff that makes it harder when taking T.

Regarding SHBG exercise may be the problem cause I didn't get the "passive" kind of exercise you get walking around a college campus. It all adds up I guess. But still having had SHBG numbers 25+ in the past *should* mean its possible to get it back up somehow.

Weight gain probably also contributed cause I gained ~10 lbs in the summer. But that was good weight gain since I was around 120 before and 130 now.

I know I def feel better with higher T+ higher SHBG rather than lower T/lower SHBG even if they both amount to the same free T levels.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:12:57 pm by electrify »

Boxcar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 12:32:24 am »

Yea the preg is what is hard to dial in but im hoping with this new dr who also did the gut test will know how to manage that aspect of it. TRT itself is easy enough for me cause I don't need E2 management at all. Its the non T related stuff that makes it harder when taking T.

Regarding SHBG exercise may be the problem cause I didn't get the "passive" kind of exercise you get walking around a college campus. It all adds up I guess. But still having had SHBG numbers 25+ in the past *should* mean its possible to get it back up somehow.

Weight gain probably also contributed cause I gained ~10 lbs in the summer. But that was good weight gain since I was around 120 before and 130 now.

I know I def feel better with higher T+ higher SHBG rather than lower T/lower SHBG even if they both amount to the same free T levels.

Maybe there's something about the relative binding affinities of other hormones that makes higher SHBG works for you?

How do you know if your pregnenalone is dialed in?  Is there some lab test or do you just go by mood, or something else?  I've been looking into supplementing, since I am not on HCG.
178 lbs 5'8''

Current Treatment: 50 mg testosterone cypionate IM, twice a week
Low T Symptoms: Chronic pelvic pain, and other neuropathic pain.  Mild anxiety, low energy and low motivation
Meds: Amitriptyline (for pain, not depression), Clonidine (for sleep, not blood pressure)

Nick108

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 04:40:03 am »

Yes, testosterone will lower it some more.  I would guess to around 17 or so in your case.

why should T lower SHBG??? when I had that one shot of Nebido, my SHBG went up from 18 to 27, same happened when on HCG and Clomid ?  hmmm ... maybe for me the key of rising T is to rise SHBG !? how can I do that??? start drinking heavily ? :D
Age 37,
198 lbs (87kg),
6 feet (185cm)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 08:04:49 am »

why should T lower SHBG??? when I had that one shot of Nebido, my SHBG went up from 18 to 27, same happened when on HCG and Clomid ?  hmmm ... maybe for me the key of rising T is to rise SHBG !? how can I do that??? start drinking heavily ? :D

Didnt say he should.  Just giving my crystal ball prophecy..,
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

kcrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 08:34:58 am »
Would DHEA supplementation bump up your E2 as well to get it back more in the normal range?
Height: 6,1
Weight: 178
Total Testosterone: 829 ng/dl
Free Testosterone: 22 ng/dl
Current Meds:  Levothyroxine 175mcg, Testosterone Cyp Intra-Muscular 100 mg every 7 days.
Supplements-
Multivitamin
Magnesium
Vitamin D
B Complex
Fish Oil

electrify

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 08:43:02 am »
@Boxcar Yea just lab testing pretty much. I read that SHBG itself has cell surface receptors or something. Can't find where but it might have been Dr.M's forum which is down now. So SHBG bound T isn't "useless" and can transmit signals through that receptor. Something like that is what I remember seeing. Maybe this makes the difference.

@Nick wow thats interesting haha. Do you think it was higher E2?

TForMe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 10:17:40 am »
If you take too much, you never know whether it will boost T or E2 more.  Generally speaking with a proper protocol, it changes those pretty negligibly.

Nick108

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 01:33:28 pm »
@Boxcar Yea just lab testing pretty much. I read that SHBG itself has cell surface receptors or something. Can't find where but it might have been Dr.M's forum which is down now. So SHBG bound T isn't "useless" and can transmit signals through that receptor. Something like that is what I remember seeing. Maybe this makes the difference.

@Nick wow thats interesting haha. Do you think it was higher E2?

I think thats how body regulates free T, more total T results in body rising SHBG to lower free T, just speculation of coarse ...
Age 37,
198 lbs (87kg),
6 feet (185cm)

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 08:07:12 pm »

Recapping.  Your cholesterol is around 100 and you weigh 130.  How tall are you?

Is it possible that you are just not eating enough to feel good?  Chris Kresser talks about how he's got loads of patients feeling "adrenal fatigue" symptoms, who get in the AF state because they don't eat enough to sustain their exercise load combined w/ their basal metabolism needs. 
Protocol: 25 mg T Cyp + 25 IU HCG M,W,F + 2 clicks T Cream + 15mg DHEA + 15mg Pregnenalone daily.
12/2018 test results: TT: 1054 ng/dL (264-916), FT: 17.2 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 21.6 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 08:07:12 pm »