Quantcast

Author Topic: Linus pauling says you need vit C  (Read 9971 times)

retado

• View Profile
Linus pauling says you need vit C
« on: October 07, 2016, 11:55:42 am »
In case you dont buy that you should take vit C every few hours
read this

The Collagen Connection
http://nutritionreview.org/2013/04/collagen-connection/

Collagen is the protein that forms connective fibers in tissues such as skin, ligaments, cartilage, bones and teeth. Collagen also acts as a kind of intracellular “glue” that gives support, shape and bulk to blood vessels, bones, and organs such as the heart, kidneys and liver. Collagen fibers keep bones and blood vessels strong, and help to anchor our teeth to our gums. Collagen is also required for the repair of blood vessels, bruises, and broken bones. As the most abundant protein in the body, collagen accounts for more mass than all the other proteins put together.

Vitamin C – along with the amino acids proline and lysine – is essential for the formation of healthy collagen. Many vitamins and minerals act as catalysts to support the manufacture of proteins. In the case of collagen, however, vitamin C is actually used up as it combines with two amino acids – lysine and proline – to form procollagen. Procollagen is then used to manufacture one of several types of collagen found in different tissues throughout the body. There are at least fourteen different types of collagen

Our body is continually manufacturing collagen to maintain and repair connective tissues lost to daily wear and tear. Without vitamin C, collagen formation is disrupted, resulting in a wide variety of problems throughout the body. Scurvy, the disease caused by vitamin C deficiency, is really a process that disrupts the body’s ability to manufacture collagen and connective tissues. With scurvy, the body literally falls apart as collagen is broken down and not replaced. The joints begin to wear down as tendons shrivel and weaken. The blood vessels crumble and begin to fall apart, leading to bruising and bleeding as vessels rupture (hemorrhage) throughout the body. Teeth loosen and fall out as the gums and the connective tissues holding teeth also begin to erode. Organs, once held firmly together by connective tissues, also lose structural strength and begin to fail. In time, the various body tissues weaken, the immune system and heart give out, leading to death

HEAART DISEASE
Lipoprotein A, commonly called Lp(a), is a major independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease. The optimum laboratory level should be under 20 mg/dl and preferrably under 14 mg/dl.

Currently, there are no medications or drugs that can effectively lower your Lp(a). A high Lp(a) is genetically linked.
https://www.drlam.com/opinion/lp(a).asp
Fortunately, Mother Nature has provided us a much better non-toxic alternative. It consist of large doses of vitamin C, L-lysine, and L-proline. Vitamin C, L-Lysine and L-proline are the basic building blocks of collagen. When these vitamins enter our bodies, they form collagen in large amounts. This is necessary, as collagen must be replenished in blood vessels to remain healthy and plaque free over periods of time. The reason is simple - Lp(a) is manufacturered in the liver in response to aging vascular system and "micro-fissures" in the endothelial vascular wall. The body, in its attempt to patch up these fissures, produce cholesterol and its relative Lp(a).
so eat your egg shites and get your vit C

Torrential

• View Profile
Re: Linus pauling says you need vit C
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 03:40:26 pm »
Old topic. Completely unproven.  I wish it were true but it's not.

Don't waste your time.
Age 54, 6'0", 200#
Dec '15:  T-total 901, T-free 159.1, E2 17, SHBG 28
Mar '16:  T-total 801, T-free 208.8, E2 18, SHBG 14
Jun '16:  T-total 678, T-free 31.9 (above range); E2 9; working to increase SHBG
Sep '16:  T-total 1075, T-free 31.4, e2 50 (wow)
Jan-Mar '16:  T-cyp 120mg per week @34mg EOD; 300IU HCG EOD, 0.25 Anastrozole E3D
Apr '16: T-cyp 105mg per week @30mg EOD; 300IU HCG EOD; 0.25mg Anastrozole E3D
Jun '16:  Low E2: dropping Anastrozole, reducing HCG to 250IU EOD.  T-Cyp 16ml/32mg EOD
Supps:  SloNiacin, aspirin, Vit. C., aged garlic,

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 03:40:26 pm »

retado

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 05:15:45 am »
Old topic. Completely unproven.  I wish it were true but it's not.

Don't waste your time.
LOLZ
do you have a backgrond in science? an MD? a pHD? oh how I WISH your opinion had any weight
nah,  the science is sounds
you need collagen to repair arteries
Collagen, in the form of elongated fibrils, is mostly found in fibrous tissues such as tendons, ligaments and skin. It is also abundant in corneas, cartilage, bones, blood vessels,
and science shows you need vit C to make collagen

Dr Humphries explains why you need vit C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0LLX0sgwAU

Dr levy explains why you need vit C
http://www.peakenergy.com/articles/nh20150129/Most-cardiologists-shocked-to-discover-the-true-cause-of-heart-attacks

DR stone exlpains why you need vit C
http://vitamincfoundation.org/stone/

Dr pauling explains why you need vit C

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-C

Dr mercola explains why you need vit C
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2001/03/28/linus-pauling.aspx

none of these nobel prize winners, phds/mds
just use opinions to say why you need vit C, they use science

not to mention the oodles of ancdodatal stories about vit C

but some annoyous troll on a forum denys you need it showing off his lack of knowledge,, oh you say the earth is flat also? hmmk

apparently doesnt understand how it works and he feels obligated to share his factually ignorant opinion with no basis cept emotions LOLOLS

Torrential

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 09:25:59 am »
Good luck to you, then.
Age 54, 6'0", 200#
Dec '15:  T-total 901, T-free 159.1, E2 17, SHBG 28
Mar '16:  T-total 801, T-free 208.8, E2 18, SHBG 14
Jun '16:  T-total 678, T-free 31.9 (above range); E2 9; working to increase SHBG
Sep '16:  T-total 1075, T-free 31.4, e2 50 (wow)
Jan-Mar '16:  T-cyp 120mg per week @34mg EOD; 300IU HCG EOD, 0.25 Anastrozole E3D
Apr '16: T-cyp 105mg per week @30mg EOD; 300IU HCG EOD; 0.25mg Anastrozole E3D
Jun '16:  Low E2: dropping Anastrozole, reducing HCG to 250IU EOD.  T-Cyp 16ml/32mg EOD
Supps:  SloNiacin, aspirin, Vit. C., aged garlic,

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 09:25:59 am »

retado

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 01:25:01 pm »
Good luck to you, then.
dont need luck, I have science behind me, if I depend on gravity, you wouldnt wish me luck, right
I did not come up with PT, but when naysayers like you can only contribute, "no" why it wont work, I shake my head...saying "no", is not useful
BE USEFUL we are all on the same side here

there are times when pauling won't work

http://www.internetwks.com/pauling/caveat.htm
    Dosage
    Blockages greater than 90%
    Prescription Medications
    Medical and Radiation Coated Stents
    High Blood Sugar/Type II Diabetes

Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 09:14:06 am »
Is it true that humans are the only animals who dont produce their own vitamin c?
I dont know exactly where I read this

croaker24

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 09:26:30 am »
Is it true that humans are the only animals who dont produce their own vitamin c?

Not sure they we are not the only ones, but I what I remember reading is this:     We used to be able to make our own vitamin c.    Then climate changes resulted in an
era where vitamin c sources were abundant, and eventually we lost the need to manufacture it, a trait we still retain to this day.

retado

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 11:51:31 am »
no, some monkeys dont, but the main animal is ginea pigs, cause they are what helped prove the human body needs vit  C

when you have heart  dz a top killer via CDC, then we arent treating it right

here are case reports about actual pts that used pauling therapy
http://www.internetwks.com/pauling/stories.html

read on

why dont carnivores have heart attacks?

you nailed it, evolution
BUT
so when you say Vitamin C has nothing to do with it," you are mistaken :-* --bears and most mammals MAKE vit C

2 mammals dont
HUMANS
guinea pigs

bears and most mammals MAKE vit C

The Cause and Non-prescription Cure for America's #1 Killer

"If you have more than 20mg/dl of lipoprotein­(a) in your blood it begins to deposit plaques, causing atherosclerosis." - Linus Pauling

REAL SCIENCE

THE UNIFIED THEORY

& Heart Disease Therapy

Assembled By Owen R. Fonorow and M. S. Till, Sr.
Page Copyright 2003, 2011

Overview

Pauling/Rath Unified Theory Paper (PDF) Pauling/Rath's original paper.

Pauling/Rath Lp(a) Abstracts from Medline

Many Lp(a) Study Abstracts from Medline (this was download 1997!)

The Willis and Paterson Canadian Vitamin C Papers (from the 1950s!)

Vitamin C Abstracts from Life Extension

Large Compilation of the Science of Micronutrients from Dr. Rath

Owen's Article on the Long Neglected Vitamin C Theory

Optometrist Sydney Bush's 1600+ Vitamin C Secrets

Early Pauling Lecture on Heart Disease, Lp(a) and Vitamin C at Stanford

Dr. Thomas Levy, MD, JD on the Vitamin C Science and the Law
    "Vitamin C has already been researched more than any other supplement or pharmaceutical drug in the history of the planet." - Thomas Levy

Strong Link Between Dental Toxicity and Heart Disease

THE Vitamin C Lecture that Every Medical Doctor Should See
Why is Vitamin C Ignored by Medicine?
According to Stephen Jeffrey, DDS, private correspondence:

"The ongoing effort to discredit vitamin C began in the 1940s after it was shown to have anti viral and antitoxic properties. Certain members of the pharmaceutical­medical complex, after first promoting vitamin C as a treatment for fevers and infections, realized that widespread use of this non prescription substance would cancel the need for developing a lucrative prescription anti viral drug market.

For this reason, all the scientific trials which have not shown vitamin C to be of any benefit against viral attacks either shorted the recommended dose or altered the recommended treatment procedure. Anyone who knows that vitamin C has been blatantly discredited in this manner should be ashamed to speak of ethics in order to forestall a proper evaluation of the vitamin's therapeutic potential. [Referring to the recent NY Times story]

REPEATABLE EXPERIMENTAL SCIENCE

There have been careful experiments with guinea pigs, first attempted by the Canadian Willis in the mid 1950s.

The result is always the same.

When these animals are deprived of vitamin C they die a terrible scurvy death in a matter of weeks. When their vitamin C is limited to the U. S. RDA they live, but develop atherosclerosis. When fed roughly the human equivalent of 3 to 5 gm of vitamin C, the pigs thrive with no signs of atherosclerosis.

Disease in guinea pigs occurs in weeks, the human form of the disease usually takes decades to develop. [1] While differences are to be expected in animal experiments, the lesions produced by these experiments are remarkable for their similarity to the human lesion. [2]

The Pauling/Rath vitamin C theory you are about to learn about makes sense. Animals, other than guinea pigs, manufacture their own vitamin C in the amount of several thousand milligrams every day. Humans, like guinea pigs and other primates, can not manufacture a single molecule of vitamin C in their bodies. [1]

--taken from
http://www.paulingtherapy.com/science.htm

or just read
http://www.internetwks.com/owen/HeartCureRD.htm

croaker24

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 01:32:38 pm »
Good luck to you, then.
dont need luck, I have science behind me, if I depend on gravity, you wouldnt wish me luck, right
I did not come up with PT, but when naysayers like you can only contribute, "no" why it wont work, I shake my head...saying "no", is not useful
BE USEFUL we are all on the same side here

there are times when pauling won't work

Dosage
    Blockages greater than 90%
    Prescription Medications
    Medical and Radiation Coated Stents
    High Blood Sugar/Type II Diabetes

What science do you have behind you?   Hopefully - not Pauling.   He was a great scientist until his 60's, a brilliant man who fell prey to faulty reasoning when he fell into the Vitamin C trap.   
Here's one of just many articles out there on Pauling and his Vitamin C obsession:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pauling.html

In 1970, Pauling announced in Vitamin C and the Common Cold that taking 1,000 mg of vitamin C daily will reduce the incidence of colds by 45% for most people but that some people need much larger amounts [1]. (The RDA for vitamin C is 60 mg.) The 1976 revision of the book, retitled Vitamin C, the Common Cold and the Flu, suggested even higher dosages [2]. A third book, Vitamin C and Cancer (1979) claims that high doses of vitamin C may be effective against cancer. Yet another book, How to Feel Better and Live Longer (1986), stated that megadoses of vitamins "can improve your general health . . . to increase your enjoyment of life and can help in controlling heart disease, cancer, and other diseases and in slowing down the process of aging." [3] Pauling himself reportedly took at least 12,000 mg daily and raised the amount to 40,000 mg if symptoms of a cold appear [4]. In 1993, after undergoing radiation therapy for prostate cancer, Pauling said that vitamin C had delayed the cancer's onset for twenty years. This was not a testable claim. He died of the disease in August 1994.

Scientific fact is established when the same experiment is carried out over and over again with the same results. To test the effect of vitamin C on colds, it is necessary to compare groups which get the vitamin to similar groups which get a placebo (a dummy pill which looks like the real thing). Since the common cold is a very variable illness, proper tests must involve hundreds of people for significantly long periods of time. At least 16 well-designed, double-blind studies have shown that supplementation with vitamin C does not prevent colds and at best may slightly reduce the symptoms of a cold [5]. Slight symptom reduction may occur as the result of an antihistamine-like effect, but whether this has practical value is a matter of dispute. Pauling's views are based on the same studies considered by other scientists, but his analyses are flawed.

The largest clinical trials, involving thousands of volunteers, were directed by Dr. Terence Anderson, professor of epidemiology at the University of Toronto [6-9]. Taken together, his studies suggest that extra vitamin C may slightly reduce the severity of colds, but it is not necessary to take the high doses suggested by Pauling to achieve this result. Nor is there anything to be gained by taking vitamin C supplements year-round in the hope of preventing colds.

Another important study was reported in 1975 by scientists at the National Institutes of Health who compared vitamin C pills with a placebo before and during colds. Although the experiment was supposed to be double-blind, half the subjects were able to guess which pill they were getting. When the results were tabulated with all subjects lumped together, the vitamin group reported fewer colds per person over a nine-month period. But among the half who hadn't guessed which pill they had been taking, no difference in the incidence or severity was found [10]. This illustrates how people who think they are doing something effective (such as taking a vitamin) can report a favorable result even when none exists.

retado

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 04:05:55 am »

What science do you have behind you?   

have you not read anything above?
or any of my links in my sig?

you need to repair arteries, yes? they get worn out with blood, varying pressures, flowing thru them,
how do you repair arteries?
with Collagen
to make collagen you MUST have vit C(thats science, bro)

boom there ya go

I already posted about the guina pigs, which like humans, dont make vit C and how they quickly get CAD a diet without vit C, bu when given given C, they dont get CAD

you want to avoid vit C and heart diease?  GOOD LUCK 8)
Make sure you understand I am not talking about using vit  C for cancer or colds, but heart disease,
 I've never deviated from this, so why you post that text you did in  reply 8, makes me think you arent understanding that.   :: ) because itis NOT about heart disease

croaker24

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 10:46:40 am »

What science do you have behind you?   

have you not read anything above?
or any of my links in my sig?

you need to repair arteries, yes? they get worn out with blood, varying pressures, flowing thru them,
how do you repair arteries?
with Collagen
to make collagen you MUST have vit C(thats science, bro)

boom there ya go

I already posted about the guina pigs, which like humans, dont make vit C and how they quickly get CAD a diet without vit C, bu when given given C, they dont get CAD

you want to avoid vit C and heart diease?  GOOD LUCK 8)
Make sure you understand I am not talking about using vit  C for cancer or colds, but heart disease,
 I've never deviated from this, so why you post that text you did in  reply 8, makes me think you arent understanding that.   :: ) because itis NOT about heart disease

Which links specifically?    This one, as an example?   http://www.internetwks.com/owen/HeartCureRD.htm       That guy is a naturopath and does not provide any evidence
whatsoever.

Seems to me you are falling into the confirmation bias trap; you have this narrative in your mind as to Vitamin C and post only those items that fit your narrative, ignoring everything
else out there that contradicts it.

retado

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 03:53:57 am »

Which links specifically?    This one, as an example?   http://www.internetwks.com/owen/HeartCureRD.htm       That guy is a naturopath and does not provide any evidence
whatsoever.

Seems to me you are falling into the confirmation bias trap; you have this narrative in your mind as to Vitamin C and post only those items that fit your narrative, ignoring everything
no links, specifically
I gave you the science already, IE why you need vit C to make collagen
you need collagen to repair worn out blood vessels or the body uses Lpa

I gave you links to support that science
from
Owen- http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/unified.htm
from mercola(MD)
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2001/03/28/linus-pauling.aspx
froom levy(MD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZYZXHtq-VU

from humpries MD

I'd love to hear what the heck you are talking about that contridicts getting more vit C and more lysine/proline?
you talk ,but I dont see anything from you, not a summary, not a link, nothing
so what do you have?

the fact that CAD is the nUMBER 1 killer?  or that most mammals make their own vit C  except the guinea pigs I noted above and we see when given a diet with no vit C, they  get heart diease?

Seems to me you are falling into the confirmation bias trap; you have this narrative in your mind as to not needing Vitamin C and post only those items that fit your narrative, ignoring everything
else out there that contradicts it, which I've posted

or you go back to Owens site , that has no  pumbmed id numbers, but has concepts and you can look them up your self and see if they are true or not?

I'm not sure what you want??
you want to be spoonfed the answer, which I've done, then you want to understand  how this came about?  or you want MDs to tell you that YES TAKE VIT C
well, Ive given you both....so what are you looking for, bro?

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 06:28:03 pm »

whatsoever.

no links, specifically
I gave you the science already, IE why you need vit C to make collagen
you need collagen to repair worn out blood vessels or the body uses Lpa

I gave you links to support that science
from
Owen- http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/unified.htm
from mercola(MD)
froom levy(MD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZYZXHtq-VU

from humpries MD

I'd love to hear what the heck you are talking about that contridicts getting more vit C and more lysine/proline?
you talk ,but I dont see anything from you, not a summary, not a link, nothing
so what do you have?

the fact that CAD is the nUMBER 1 killer?  or that most mammals make their own vit C  except the guinea pigs I noted above and we see when given a diet with no vit C, they  get heart diease?

Seems to me you are falling into the confirmation bias trap; you have this narrative in your mind as to not needing Vitamin C and post only those items that fit your narrative, ignoring everything
else out there that contradicts it, which I've posted

or you go back to Owens site , that has no  pumbmed id numbers, but has concepts and you can look them up your self and see if they are true or not?

I'm not sure what you want??
you want to be spoonfed the answer, which I've done, then you want to understand  how this came about?  or you want MDs to tell you that YES TAKE VIT C
well, Ive given you both....so what are you looking for, bro?

Hey, I think what is missing is this for Croaker:

How do we know there is not a saturation point at which Vitamin C no longer significantly stimulates collagen growth?  In other words, what if all Vitamin C ingested over 100 mg does not contribute any more to collagen formation or repair?

For example, a saturation model seems to govern the testosterone prostate cancer relationship.  So not everything is linear.

Now, retado, I know that it should based on the fact that other animals have greatly increased plasma levels because they essentially manufacture it.  However, there still should be some evidence out there that this is the case in us humans. 

And you know I megadose Vitamin C, so I'm largely on your side.  But I am just pointing out why I think Croaker and others are asking questions. 
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

retado

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 12:01:32 am »

Hey, I think what is missing is this for Croaker:

How do we know there is not a saturation point at which Vitamin C no longer significantly stimulates collagen growth?  In other words, what if all Vitamin C ingested over 100 mg does not contribute any more to collagen formation or repair?

For example, a saturation model seems to govern the testosterone prostate cancer relationship.  So not everything is linear.

Now, retado, I know that it should based on the fact that other animals have greatly increased plasma levels because they essentially manufacture it.  However, there still should be some evidence out there that this is the case in us humans. 

And you know I megadose Vitamin C, so I'm largely on your side.  But I am just pointing out why I think Croaker and others are asking questions.

you said
" animals have greatly increased plasma levels because they essentially manufacture it"
--no they dont essentially manufacture it, THEY DO MAKE IT< quite literally

there are a lots of reasons why pauling therapy won't work

a bigone is root canals or lots of oxidants coming into the body
dr levy goes into this in his book"TOXIC TOOTH"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH6ndTMkDkY

I recall this being discussed on the vitC foundation site, and it's a reason why they and Dr levy say dont get root canals
too much garbage gets ito the body and thus uses up the vit C

A vast array of discoveries were forthcoming from that extensive and meticulous research which found many root canal therapy common beliefs of dentists and endodontists to be false. The most startling one clearly and emphatically demonstrated with 5,000 animal studies, that root canal filled teeth always remain infected no matter how good they look or how good they feel.
http://www.smartcancertherapy.com/the-root-canal-coverup.html

and

here are other ways to get these microbes under control, and several are being tested at this time. It is advantageous to have intravenous vitamin C and occasionally a non-killing antibiotic is added to this solution. This combination does reduce the challenge to the immune system, but, overall, root canals represent the rock-and-hard-place situation.

Leave the root canal or cavitation in the body, and there is the potential of creating an unwanted autoimmune or degenerative disease that could be life threatening. Toxins and bacteria can both leak from these contamination sites wreaking havoc with a person’s cardiovascular, endocrine, nervous and immune systems. The public needs to be informed, so they can make educated choices in the trade-off between toxic convenience and health.
http://www.westonaprice.org/holistic-healthcare/root-canal-dangers/

I think that's off point
so what are you asking?

how much is too much vit C?
it really varies
i recall I used to reach BT at 2-4 grams,, then I spent time with my parents, siblings and  lil monsteros and I was easily taking 10g/day with no isses
the vit  C foundation say got bowl tolerance BT and when you start having GI issues, then reduce that amount until you stop having issues
but how much vitC you take can easily change, depending on what you exposed to.

here's a link about studies to BT
http://vitamincfoundation.org/www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm
The maximum relief of symptoms which can be expected with oral doses of ascorbic acid is obtained at a point just short of the amount which produces diarrhea. The amount and the timing of the doses are usually sensed by the patient. The physician should not try to regulate exactly the amount and timing of these doses because the optimally effective dose will often change from dose to dose. Patients are instructed on the general principles of determining doses and given estimates of the reasonable starting amounts and timing of these doses. I have named this process of the patient determining the optimum dose, TITRATING TO BOWEL TOLERANCE. The patient tries to TITRATE between that amount which begins to make him feel better and that amount which almost but not quite causes diarrhea.

I think it is only that excess amount of ascorbate not absorbed into the body which causes diarrhea; what does not reach the rectum, does not cause diarrhea.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 12:57:10 pm »