Quantcast

Author Topic: Coming off long term TRT  (Read 4556 times)

sh1209

Coming off long term TRT
« on: October 26, 2016, 12:19:12 am »
I've been on TRT for well over five years and have reached the point of giving up, or at least taking a break. I've never been able to get even decent libido, no matter how high test,dht, free test and so on. I've always been under physician care and I'm completely healthy and in shape. It's been nine days since last 120mg cypionate injection and honestly so far each day I feel better. I've even had morning wood the last two mornings. I'm 42 y/o and I hope I can recover. I've never had any testicle shrinkage so I'm assuming they're still functioning. My question is I do have clomid on hand and I'm wondering if I should maybe do a small dose like 12.5 a day for a few weeks to help or just quit cold turkey?

TRT4Years

• View Profile
Re: Coming off long term TRT
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 12:32:02 am »
I've been on TRT for well over five years and have reached the point of giving up, or at least taking a break. I've never been able to get even decent libido, no matter how high test,dht, free test and so on. I've always been under physician care and I'm completely healthy and in shape. It's been nine days since last 120mg cypionate injection and honestly so far each day I feel better. I've even had morning wood the last two mornings. I'm 42 y/o and I hope I can recover. I've never had any testicle shrinkage so I'm assuming they're still functioning. My question is I do have clomid on hand and I'm wondering if I should maybe do a small dose like 12.5 a day for a few weeks to help or just quit cold turkey?
good luck please let us know how you go and if your going to stop go cold turkey

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 12:32:02 am »

ghce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 02:58:57 am »
If you are already seeing improvement just by stopping TRT I cant see any reason why you would want to go on to Clomid.
It would be just as likely that the Clomid whilst it might increase your T would probably knock you libido and wood down also as this seems to be the general result that many get from using Clomid (though not all).

The longer I have been in my low T situation the more I question just going by blood test results alone to determine where you should be. Results should be based on how you feel and how you perform rather than just what your T score is, sometimes that's a balancing act.

If I were in your situation I would give it a month before deciding which way to jump given your evident improvement in such a short time, had you not seen such an immediate improvement I would have been inclined to give the HPTA a bit of a kick start with the clomid
2014 Androderm Patches
2014-2016 Oral Andriol 160mg Daily
June 2016 Clomid/Serophene 12.5mg EOD
September 2016 no TRT all natural and supplements for the time being
February 2017 Testosterone cream 100mg daily

Sept 2016
Testosterone   8.2 nmol/l   9-38
Free Testosterone   239 pmol/l   L   250-800
SHBG:  14    nmol/L   9-60
Free Androgen index   586   >400
Oestradiol    112   pmol/L    <190
LH    2.6 IU/L Adult male   2 - 9 IU/L
FSH  1.4 IU/L Adult male L2 - 12 IU/L

22 November
T 6.8  nmol/L ( 9-38 ) L

March 2017
Testosterone:   45.0  nmol/L ( 9-38 ) H ( 1,323 ng/dl )
Free Testosterone:   1512  pmol/L ( 250-800 ) H
SHBG:   17  nmol/L ( 9-60 )
Plasma IGF-1:   227 ug/L ( 55-198 ) H
Plasma cortisol:   434 nmol/L ( 0600-1000 hrs 170-500 nmol/L )
HbA1c:   36 mmol/mol ( 20-40 )
LH:   <0.1 IU/L
FSH:   0.1 IU/L
DHT Plasma Dihydrotestosterone:   7455   pmol/L ( 223 ng/dl ) 
Reference Range Adult males  1000-6000 pmol/L

Sean Mosher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 04:32:44 pm »
Is your estradiol being monitored/managed on your current program?
So many problems arise from it being out of whack.

But, if you are going to come off TRT, I would do a monitored PCT/Re-Start of some sort.
PrimeBody (sponsored by this site) has one that I'd be happy to discuss.
Just a few things to consider before you throw in the TRT towel.
Patient Liaison
http://www.PrimeBody.com (CODE: PEAKTVIP for 10% Discount)
[Site Sponsor]

NOTE: Comments on this forum are NOT medical advice and are no substitute for individualized patient care. Please consult your personal physician prior to initiating or changing ANY treatment regimen.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 04:32:44 pm »

sh1209

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 07:45:39 pm »
E2 stays 22-25 with sensitive test and all other labs are nearly perfect. I along with my doctor and numerous other people can make no sense of it.

sh1209

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 12:25:33 pm »
It's been 11 days now and feeling really good. I hope it doesn't hit me like a brick wall in a few days, but I would think levels have to be approaching the lowest point. There's absolutely no symptoms of withdrawal even in respect to energy and sense of wellbeing. I've read before and honestly believe that the human body never reacts the same to exogenous hormones the same as naturally secreted hormones. I've had my t levels over 1500 a few times with perfect e2,dht, and free test and have felt horrible in every way. I think the test receptor saturation theory is dead on because in my 20s my total test level was 775 and this was the best I've ever felt in my life. Really not sure what the free level was. I think our bodies after a certain t level and age really start to reject elevated levels of hormones. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

sh1209

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 02:33:13 pm »
Day 13 and definitely feel like I've hit a brick wall, so I guess TRT is a better choice. Im going to modify my injections to 20mg cypionate EOD which would be 300mg per month total. I was always under the impression from what I've read over the years that once weekly injections were required with elevated shbg, but from what I'm hearing from a few guys on here thats not the case. My problem is finding libido and hopefully this approach will help. From what I said earlier, I've did years from between 80-120 per week IM and have never had even decent libido while DHT,E2,Free T,Cortisol,Thyroid levels,Prolactin levels and total T have been nearly perfect. I'm at least going to give this a month to see if it helps. My doctor is fine with changing frequency, he just wants to stay at or below 400mg per month. The only levels that are always off are shot-47 and dheas is always very low, so I am going to add 25mg dhea per day as well. Any thoughts appreciated.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 02:18:34 am »
Day 13 and definitely feel like I've hit a brick wall, so I guess TRT is a better choice. Im going to modify my injections to 20mg cypionate EOD which would be 300mg per month total. I was always under the impression from what I've read over the years that once weekly injections were required with elevated shbg, but from what I'm hearing from a few guys on here thats not the case. My problem is finding libido and hopefully this approach will help. From what I said earlier, I've did years from between 80-120 per week IM and have never had even decent libido while DHT,E2,Free T,Cortisol,Thyroid levels,Prolactin levels and total T have been nearly perfect. I'm at least going to give this a month to see if it helps. My doctor is fine with changing frequency, he just wants to stay at or below 400mg per month. The only levels that are always off are shot-47 and dheas is always very low, so I am going to add 25mg dhea per day as well. Any thoughts appreciated.

Interesting.  Let us know if it works for you.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

sh1209

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 02:53:41 pm »
Has anyone else had this much difficulty getting libido to a decent level?

jay89

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 03:13:50 pm »
I think optimizing hormones contributes to a healthy libido but I think its only part of the puzzle. Look at all the old unhealthy dudes walking around horny as hell.

sh1209

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 03:26:46 pm »
Yeah I know, it makes absolutely no sense to me. It happened all of a sudden about a year after vasectomy and I have spent a fortune on lab work copays and doctors trying to figure this out. I'm healthy as can be otherwise.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 03:26:46 pm »