Quantcast

Author Topic: lowT, ala dad bod live longer and less cancer?  (Read 9279 times)

retado

• View Profile
lowT, ala dad bod live longer and less cancer?
« on: November 02, 2016, 04:20:10 pm »
Im not buying this crap
people just want an excuse to be fat
http://www.askmen.com/news/sports/dads-with-dad-bods-are-more-attractive-and-live-longer-according-to-study.html

The podgy dad has a better immune system, is less likely to suffer from heart attacks or prostate cancer and, weirdly, is apparently more attractive to women.

Osprey

• View Profile
Re: lowT, ala dad bod live longer and less cancer?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 06:22:03 pm »
I believe it, among my circle of friends and acquaintances the pudgy guys seem happier and healthier than the thin guys like myself. When my wife talks to her friends it also seems that the thin husbands have more health problems than the pudgy husbands.

I do think there is a genetic/evolutionary component to this.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 06:22:03 pm »

croaker24

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 07:31:43 pm »
I believe it, among my circle of friends and acquaintances the pudgy guys seem happier and healthier than the thin guys like myself. When my wife talks to her friends it also seems that the thin husbands have more health problems than the pudgy husbands.

I was just thinking about this - if there was an optimal body-fat/weight for better long-term health.   It seems to be common knowledge that higher testosterone levels leads to a more suppressed immune system.   So as the article implied, the "Dad Bods" guys may actually have  a more robust immune system due to lower testosterone levels.    Makes sense to me.    Hell, I'd be happy to have more of a "Dad-Bod" then the lean machine I'm at now.      I also never thought that TRT was any sort of anti-aging treatment, that higher levels over the long-term could be damaging.    I'm still angry that my idiot PCP put me on Androgel without first understanding why my T dropped so low.   

The article is based on the new book - "How Men Age" by Richard G. Bribiescas.   There's an initial review out on it - and it says this:

- The symptoms of aging seem to be similar in all mammals (which is not much comfort as there is no species to model or aspire to).
-Higher metabolic rates and constant oxidative stress in men leads to shorter lifespans than women who show surges of oxidative stress (pregnancy/childbirth/lactation) but lower overall metabolisms.
-Death is U-shaped. There is huge risk of death after birth. It lessens and flattens in the prime of life, then rockets again as we age.
-Hormone therapy for men might help them bulk up, but it also might be an outsized strain on aging organs to maintain that bulk. In Bribiescas’ analogy, at some point Ferraris can become too expensive to maintain.
-Testosterone suppresses immune functions in men, leading to more infections and autoimmune diseases.  Higher levels of it are a potential predictor of prostate cancer when considered with greater energy intake, western diet, sedentary lifestyle and higher testosterone levels (so taking it as a supplement might not be the best choice).
-Fat is far less demanding to maintain than muscle, so muscle gives way to fat when it is no longer needed to find a mate.
-Gray hair is a result of oxidative stress and lifelong doses of testosterone and DHT “a sort of super testosterone.”

Hmmm.   Put this all together suggests a program (maybe) for those of us suffering TRT, don't you think?     I'm not suggesting this book is some authoritative source but in context of all I've read, I think it's not something to discard or ignore.

Absolutely diet is #1, exercise, low to moderate weight training (bulking up isn't good for the long-term), don't be afraid to let the body-fat drift a little higher, and maybe, maintain as low a dosage of T to where you can function well enough.   I'm at 80 mg/week of cypionate now and happy with that, I'd go lower maybe, when I get older.     

retado

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 07:39:38 pm »

I was just thinking about this - if there was an optimal body-fat/weight for better long-term health.   It seems to be common knowledge that higher testosterone levels leads to a more suppressed immune system.   
to be honest, I was on the can and i got to thinking, just saying that really, well, ummm
in my friends, except the one that got hit by a truck and later died (i dated his ex wife for a time) Ive
never heard that, why do you say that is common knowledge?
what science is that based on?
thanks

I actually think any science is about vit C/nurtients, that fatter guys get more vit C than skinny guys,  vit C is a great antioxidant and required for collagen, which is the most abundant/ main structural protein found in the body, too little collagen causes CAD

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 07:39:38 pm »

croaker24

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 08:05:17 pm »

I was just thinking about this - if there was an optimal body-fat/weight for better long-term health.   It seems to be common knowledge that higher testosterone levels leads to a more suppressed immune system.   
to be honest, I was on the can and i got to thinking, just saying that really, well, ummm
in my friends, except the one that got hit by a truck and later died (i dated his ex wife for a time) Ive
thanks

I actually think any science is about vit C/nutrients, that fatter guys get more vit C than skinny guys,  vit C is a great antioxidant and required for collagen, which is the most abundant/ main structural protein found in the body, too little collagen causes CAD

Man, just search and google on the suppressed immune system.   One of the major evolutionary functions of testosterone is to enable men to better survive trauma, which I'm sure
you can understand,  after all, it was the guys out there in the field risking their lives hunting and protecting the family/tribe.   

By the same token, you wanted the women to be consistently healthier in order to bear and raise children.   

Extrapolating, I think having those higher levels today is counter-productive.  The ability to survive trauma is no longer a necessary trait. 

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 09:11:15 pm »
Im not buying this crap
http://www.askmen.com/news/sports/dads-with-dad-bods-are-more-attractive-and-live-longer-according-to-study.html

The podgy dad has a better immune system, is less likely to suffer from heart attacks or prostate cancer and, weirdly, is apparently more attractive to women.

I am very skeptical:  there are no chunky supercultures. 

The on thing I have read is that some fat gives you a reserve if you ever get ultra sick or suffer trauma.

THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

tre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 12:43:36 am »
Im not buying this crap

The on thing I have read is that some fat gives you a reserve if you ever get ultra sick or suffer trauma.

"Studies" such as this are likely similar to other false studies we've been brainwashed with throughout the last 20 years.  It is clear to me that Western culture is extremely de-masculinizing while at the same time pushing feminism.  Feminists don't want to feel insecure by a mate that looks far better than they do.  They also don't want to do what is necessary to stay in shape and look half-way decent.  This is why we are now seeing categories such as "big and beautiful" which is an absolute oxymoron.  This is why we are seeing plus-sized "models" on the front of magazines.  Don't fall for it and don't give in to the bullshit.  Elitists that practically OWN the country want a weak-minded and weak-willed population....especially the males.  If anything the REAL trend these days is FOR fitness and lean bodies. The gyms in my area have NEVER been so packed as they are now. Yoga, Crossfit, Mud Runs and fitness Boot Camps have been sprouting up like crazy. This is why the USA as a whole has actually stopped it's progression as the most obese country on earth.  I would not be surprised if these ridiculous "studies" are being put out due to the recent statistics.  After all, obesity is a huge moneymaker for the Elites/Special interests. A healthy population doesn't benefit them at all so it really is as simple as following the money...

Being a fat guy with no motivation other than to be consistent with watching TV and eating pizza after work isn't what society should shoot for IMO.   The only women that find that attractive are those who are unmotivated and who want to feel secure at the same time which is EXACTLY the type of woman I want nothing to do with....

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 12:53:51 am by tre »

retado

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 06:14:04 am »

"Studies" such as this are likely similar to other false studies we've been brainwashed with throughout the last 20 years.

I saw no "studies"
you did?  woulda link me to the ones you saw?

LOLz nice rant, but beyond thinking the elites are against us.   overeating is common and people dont want to better themselves
Im not buying this crap

exactly, well summed up

electrify

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 07:02:00 am »

thanks

I actually think any science is about vit C/nurtients, that fatter guys get more vit C than skinny guys,  vit C is a great antioxidant and required for collagen, which is the most abundant/ main structural protein found in the body, too little collagen causes CAD

Read up on Neuropeptide Y. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21995655. That talks about how NPY is involved in mood.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17603492 About how NPY is involved in obesity.

retado

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 11:03:27 am »

Read up on Neuropeptide Y. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21995655. That talks about how NPY is involved in mood.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17603492 About how NPY is involved in obesity.
yes, NPY makes you hungry?
Im always hungry. 
We there somehing to share with how Neuropeptide Y (NPY), makes the dad bod healthy?
Could you share that factoid? I didnt see anything about that topic,which is the topic of the thead, in your links
if you want to learn more about Neuropeptide Y (NPY),, then read about bodyweight regulation, right?
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-hormones-of-bodyweight-regulation-leptin-part-4.html/

cujet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 11:45:11 am »
Yeah, that's why guys like Jack Lalanne all die early at 96 or so.
58 years old
Autoimmune Hashimoto's, near zero natural T production
Cause: severe mononucleosis in my early 30's
Weight 235 and climbing despite eating far less
Height 5' 10"
180mg NPthyroid (natural desiccated pigs thyroid)
Labs (Oct 2017) , my T=730, TSH 0.03, T3+T4 mid-range normal.
Prednisone 10mg/day (no ACTH, dangerously low cortisol)

10% compounded creme. T=725, which feels just right.

croaker24

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 12:29:36 pm »
Im not buying this crap

And you know this, how?   Have you seen any indications of avg weight/height/BMI/% of body fat among these cultures?    I believe the average longest-lived, the Okinawans, were
short, the male averaging around 4'10".   I've seen other studies indicating that one possible common attribute of long-lived people past 100 were that they were short. 

The thing is - these super cultures books such as the Blue Zones miss a ton of confounding possibilities.  If I remember, the one thing about the blue zones identified in the book were that
they had a very mild climate, with a longer growing season, with little, or minimal winter weather, and typically lived in a more remote locale, hilly or mountainous.     

croaker24

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 12:32:53 pm »

Hey - I admire the guy but I  do think he was he was an outlier, who may have hit the jackpot his DNA.   Not to mention he was short, only 5'6".   Being short seems to
help people live longer for some reason.    There was some study (I need to find the link) that found the longest-lived veterans were shorter on average.

retado

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 12:44:11 pm »

Hey - I admire the guy but I  do think he was he was an outlier, who may have hit the jackpot his DNA.   Not to mention he was short, only 5'6".   Being short seems to
help people live longer for some reason.    There was some study (I need to find the link) that found the longest-lived veterans were shorter on average.

I thought it had to do with IGF-1?
taller guys have higher levels IGF-1

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/07/height_and_longevity_the_research_is_clear_being_tall_is_hazardous_to_your.html

Tall people rarely live exceptionally long lives. Japanese people who reach 100 are 4 inches shorter, on average, than those who are 75. The countries in the taller half of Europe have 48 centenarians per million, compared to 77 per million in the shorter half of the continent......

Osprey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 01:29:13 pm »

Height vs longevity has been studied: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071721/

The news is not good for us tall guys. I'm 6'4".

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 01:29:13 pm »