Quantcast

Author Topic: LOW T FROM PAIN PILLS- HELP  (Read 50998 times)

apericubes

• View Profile
LOW T FROM PAIN PILLS- HELP
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:16:58 pm »
Hi there, 28 year old male here from toronto canada, always been physically fit and active, extremely high libido/great shape/health/ both mentally and physically. Been lifting weights/cardio/sexually active since 21.

In september, 6 months ago, I had a minor back pain and doctor gave me some oxycodone 20mg timed release pills. I took about 10 of them over a two week period. At the end of the two weeks, it was physically impossible to get an erection and I had NO LIBIDO. I didnt know what caused this and it got me very frustrated. I gave it a few days and went to talk to my doctor. His response was "stop thinking about sex so much, go work and stay busy I dont know what to say to you"

I gave it a few weeks and finally I could acheive like a half erection just enough to perform with the gf. I gave it a few more weeks and everything stay the same..while i was working I noticed i started to gain weight (even thought i ate the same) , felt depressed, extremely anxious and had hot flashes and very moody. My erections came back to half strength but orgasm felt like 10 percent of what it used to be without the wow factor like before. My refractory period was in the hours instead of minutes like before the pain pills. I had no sense of satisfaction after orgasms also.

I went back to the doc and he said to stop stressing over this, and i askd him to investigate, he refused. My erections got even worse and I could no longer even get them, even on my own for "self satisfaction" something thats worked like a charm since age 14. I started having a few drinks at night due to the depressive feelings and hopelessness and anxiety. I went back to the the doc and he said i may be depressed even though ive always been a very happy person with no history of any depresssion. he tried to prescribe cipralex which is an ssri which one of the main side effects is sexual dysfunction. i said listen doc im not depressed and why would u prescribe something that has the side efffect i am trying to battle! he didnt care and moved along. i didnt use the antidepressants.

a few months later i said my symptoms barely improved and to do a blood test. he refused. i went to a walk in under the guidance of a paramedic friend and my free testosterone levels came back at  23 pmol/L on a range of 31 to 94. remember age 28 at the time. very low.

i showed him the tests and he said its low but one tests means nothing, and that i did it at 12 pm means its not correct

he finally agreed to do more tests

i did bio avail, fsh  / lh and prolactin and free test

tests came back as follows

LH               RESULT 8      scale of 2-9  IU/L
FSH              RESULT 12    scale of 2-12    IU/L
Prolactin      RESULT  12   scale <= 17.99  ug/L
FREE TEST   RESULT  30.9  scale 31-94   pmol/L

BIOAVAIL TEST  7.2  scale of 2.7/19.2  nmol/L

He called me in and said my test is definetly low but still in range and he didnt want to help anymore, My gf and i said i have a terrible libido, it takes me a long time to get erect even if i can, and i havent had morning erections in 6 months and i can't even get it up on my own for the life of me. also eating less but weight went from 180 to 220 in 6 months. its caused depression sadness anxiety and all that. i dont know what to do, how could a few weeks of long term pain killers cause supposed hypogonadism /test deficiency? the doc said to stop caring, it seem slike he is the only one who doesnt care . ive lost 6 months of my life please help. before this i could have sex/please myself several times a day, full of energy and happiness and morning erections for like 10 minutes that i couldnt not control. low test has really ruined my life and doctors wont help

mike

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: LOW T FROM PAIN PILLS- HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:54:41 pm »
Sorry to hear about the troubles.

I doubt you have noticed this but they just came up with a study that verifies that pain killers appear to be able to cause low testosterone:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130131154412.htm

This is no big shock really.  So imo the bottom line is that you need to get a second opinion.  You probably have low testosterone based upon your self-test and need to get a doctor who will take the issue seriously.  It can be painful to find a good doc. 

Look at this couples woes:

https://www.peaktestosterone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1148.0
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:54:41 pm »

apericubes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:57:00 pm »
I know for a fact the pain pills did it, its too coincidental. what are my options when i find a doc who will help? why won't my doc help me out? im seeing the gfs doctor monday hopefully she can help (this ones female)

its really taken over my life, i feel lifeless, what are the options and outcome (prognosis)?

THANK YOU

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:15:30 pm »
I know for a fact the pain pills did it, its too coincidental. what are my options when i find a doc who will help? why won't my doc help me out? im seeing the gfs doctor monday hopefully she can help (this ones female)

its really taken over my life, i feel lifeless, what are the options and outcome (prognosis)?

THANK YOU

If you truly have low testosterone, then you have three options:

1.  Try to cure with lifestyle changes.  From what I have seen, this does not work unless you are very overweight.
2.  Go on HRT.  This can affect fertility.
3.  Try Clomid, HCG, Arimidex or some combination in order to preserve fertility.

The safety of #2 and #3 of the above you have to discuss with your doc. 
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:15:30 pm »

apericubes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 10:31:58 pm »
thanks for your help, my doctor doesnt care at all, he squints his eyes at me in disgust when i say i have libido and e.d...he says stop thinking about sex and move on , this is a big deal for me at age 28  , sorry but sex is the spice of life . im seeing my girlfriends doctor on monday morning hopefully she will have a diferent view. lifestyle changes dont seem to work with test this low, i can barely get erections anymore, before i could get erect 8 times in a day to the point where i would take it for granted. how well does hrt work? how well do clomidds work? willl i ever be the same as i was before?

thanks so much, sorrry for all the questions. the degree of seriousness if through the roof for me

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 11:31:57 pm »
willl i ever be the same as i was before?

thanks so much, sorrry for all the questions. the degree of seriousness if through the roof for me

Yes you will be able to get it back. Most of us here on this board have had problems like this, that's why we're here, and there are many solutions. You just need to take a step back, look at it objectively and do the things you can do like improving your diet and taking off those extra 40 lbs you gained because they aren't helping. The drinking isn't going to help either, but I understand that as a coping mechanism. If you really do have depression, that needs to be addressed. Don't look at it as a necessarily a psychological thing, but your brain chemicals like serotonin could've gotten messed up by the pain killers too. So go through a do a real self-evaluation.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

apericubes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 12:07:34 am »
i hear that,. for sure drinking was a coping mechanism because i felt a feeling of impending doom. "why was i so stupid to take pain pills etc" " i should have known better" "im only 28 why did this happen"

iv'e never had any symptoms of depression my entire life, i was the life of the party and the group class clown. this stuff really de personalized me bigtime. my libido has come back like 10 percent but still not the same. i just wanna know if there is light at the end of this tunnel.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 02:36:19 am »
Sure, but you've got to back off the medications and alcohol before you actually damage yourself.  I don't know how much you are drinking, but just do a little reading on what it does to your hormones, liver, brain, etc.  The clock is ticking if you are drinking immoderately. 

The good news:  you are young.  You have a lot of built in buffer.  Just stop now, drop that extra weight and it is very, very likely you'll be a comnpletely new person. 

But JackAndy brought up a good point:  you need to get off of all that stuff before your testosterone reading is really going to reflect where you're really at.  Find a doc that knows what he is doing and will work with you.

apericubes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 02:42:19 am »
i dont take anything anymore, just some alcohol.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 03:12:10 am »
i dont take anything anymore, just some alcohol.

Okay, sorry to make assumptions.  But I will probably make one more, because I noticed that you're not saying "I just have a glass of wine with my dinner and that's it."  So I'm not trying to judge without knowing, but I would guess you need to read these:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Beer

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Alcohol_Testosterone

There is no health advantage that you can get from drinking alcohol that you cannot get from diet and exercise.  Stick to the latter two imo because they are much safer and MUCH less addictive for some men.  It really offers nothing to you.

And alcohol and depression do not go together - just not a good combo.  Some of these may help?

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Depression_Cures

And, yes, low testosterone can definitely contribute to depression and vice versa:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Depression

I think that you feel that the pain killers basically took out your testosterone and that that is the root cause.  Keep pursuing that then but if you're drinking more than a glass or maybe two per day, that could be causing you some problems as well.  The extra weight will not help.

So, again, find a doc who will work with you and get your testosterone monitored and find out.  And don't panic:  you can almost for sure get your health and sex life back if you find a good doctor and make some simple lifestyle modifications.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:30:37 am by PeakT »

apericubes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 08:35:08 am »
thanks for the links, yeah i do drink moderately but my t levels were even lower in oct and nov before i started to drink, i just did it to cope, they have gone up a few points but im sure it doesnt help. at first after the pills it seemed like i had no t in me.

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 02:04:28 pm »
iv'e never had any symptoms of depression my entire life, i was the life of the party and the group class clown. this stuff really de personalized me bigtime. my libido has come back like 10 percent but still not the same. i just wanna know if there is light at the end of this tunnel.

Yeah it just sounds like you're really depressed and you have to find a way to get out of it. I'd say there is light at the end of the tunnel but you're showing signs of depression and it's getting so bad that it's causing you to do things which make it worse and that's a downward spiral. You make still think it started with the pills, but something happened before September, before the pills that put you in a position where you were vulnerable. It's not uncommon for men to suffer sexual difficulties even for prolonged periods, many men even just live with it without seeking help. Your reaction is understandable, but it sounds like your feelings of depression, hopelessness and anxiety are hitting you harder than they would for most men. I can only go by what you say, but I also thought that gaining 40 lbs in 6 months is pretty extreme so that must reflect a big change for you in your lifestyle. So you can probably take care of the physical things pretty easily but I don't know what else is there that is causing you to not be nice to yourself.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 02:52:22 pm »
thanks for the links, yeah i do drink moderately but my t levels were even lower in oct and nov before i started to drink, i just did it to cope, they have gone up a few points but im sure it doesnt help. at first after the pills it seemed like i had no t in me.

Gotcha.  Well, if you are in the U.S., you should be able to find a good physician who will test you.  It takes some effort though.

TheWife

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 03:22:57 pm »
Peak T does taking the pain pills for a few weeks knock out your T forever? I had assumed that it would come back up on its own after stopping the pain meds if it was very short term use? Don't really know why I thought that but now I am curious.

apericubes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 05:17:56 pm »
its been 6 months and my t levels are still really low, but how i felt in oct nov and dec it seemed like i had no t in me at all, now i have some (see top post)

as i said before i previous was a very busy person tons of friends worked out every day worked hard very social got up early and great personality, this stuff really changed me and i am super upset about it. its not so easy to "just snap out of it"

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 05:17:56 pm »