Quantcast

Author Topic: Chronic infections and low T, cortisol and hypothyroidism?  (Read 2886 times)

Sighalot

• View Profile
Chronic infections and low T, cortisol and hypothyroidism?
« on: December 24, 2016, 04:36:24 am »
Im recently diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and lately i have read lots and lots of claims that ME often is caused by chronic infections and lyme is pretty high up on the list, one part of this is that chronic infections can cause the immune system to break down.

I have hypothyrodism but all tests looks ok on paper, free t4 low in range, free t3 midrange and tsh mid to high in range and no antibodies so im medicated because of positive effects, can chronic infections cause hypothyrodism?

Testosteron deficiency, also this is a bit unclear health care claims its weight related which i dont buy since T dropped with over 50% between 2004 and 2009 while my weight was about the same, can chronic infections cause low T?

Cortisol, again on paper it looks ok usually mid range and result of synactentest was good but when i tried hydrocortisone i got effects like better sleep, less hungry, lower blood sugar, lower heart rate, lower blood pressure, more energy..can it be related to chronic infections?

Regards
/Sighalot

Kierkegaard

• Hormone Shrink
    • View Profile
Re: Chronic infections and low T, cortisol and hypothyroidism?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 07:11:54 am »
Im recently diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and lately i have read lots and lots of claims that ME often is caused by chronic infections and lyme is pretty high up on the list, one part of this is that chronic infections can cause the immune system to break down.

I have hypothyrodism but all tests looks ok on paper, free t4 low in range, free t3 midrange and tsh mid to high in range and no antibodies so im medicated because of positive effects, can chronic infections cause hypothyrodism?

Testosteron deficiency, also this is a bit unclear health care claims its weight related which i dont buy since T dropped with over 50% between 2004 and 2009 while my weight was about the same, can chronic infections cause low T?

Cortisol, again on paper it looks ok usually mid range and result of synactentest was good but when i tried hydrocortisone i got effects like better sleep, less hungry, lower blood sugar, lower heart rate, lower blood pressure, more energy..can it be related to chronic infections?

Regards
/Sighalot

Curious, how were you diagnosed with ME?  Do your doctors (or yourself) consider it pretty much synonymous with chronic fatigue in terms of symptoms (I rec the site Phoenix Rising either way, great folks there).

Hypothyroidism is especially one of those things where the range is probably a good deal broader than it should be for many reasons I won't get into, but notably how many people who have hypothyroidism are included in the range (which broadens it), and since the 80s or so there's been a shift from diagnosing hypothyroidism based on symptoms primarily and labwork secondarily to going the "numerology" route and just focusing on labs, which is problematic given that there a good fraction of people out there who have clear hypothyroid symptoms (particularly a slow ankle reflex and/or low basal body temps below 97.8 degrees first thing before getting out of bed).  I say all this to say that low free T4, mid-high TSH, and even middling free T3 aren't good enough for a lot of people; Dr Mariano said my free T3 levels of 3.3 (before treatment) were "livable", for example, whereas the vast majority of dos (who again are almost always numerologists) would say this is more than fine.  So I'd recommend a trial of NDT, T3, or even T4 meds.

Getting positive effects from hydrocortisone (provided it isn't in the pharmacological range, usually above 40 mg per day for most people, where pretty much everyone would feel better in some ways) is a strong indicator that you're in need of hydrocortisone.  So, you know.  You might also try pregnenolone and DHEA if you haven't already, but if the former makes you feel worse, then I'd just try HC again.

Chronic infections can basically put your body in a chronic inflammatory state, which can cause sympathetic activation, which by itself or other biochemical mediators from chronic inflammation can lower your hormones, including sex, thyroid, and adrenal hormones.  So you might have a root to really investigate, but until then it might be worth trying the semi-bandaids (I say semi because they're pretty deep responses just not to the root) of thyroid meds, HC, and/or testosterone with your doc's supervision. 

I say everyone should be given a trial for pretty much any hormone provided they show at least a few telling symptoms for it. 
"The same thing that makes you live can kill you in the end." -- Neil Young

March 2014: Dx low T (158ng/dl)
September 2015: Dx hypothyroidism, other adrenal hypofunction
2016: chronic fatigue, unspecified

Depression and anxiety guide: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Help_Anxiety_Depression

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 07:11:54 am »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 04:45:43 pm »

Regards
/Sighalot

Fyi:

Lyme protocol from dr. Levy

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11317
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Sighalot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 08:54:55 pm »
Curious, how were you diagnosed with ME?  Do your doctors (or yourself) consider it pretty much synonymous with chronic fatigue in terms of symptoms (I rec the site Phoenix Rising either way, great folks there).
The doctor i saw was one of the leading experts in my country and its a diagnose with flaws since there are some things that have not been checked.

So I'd recommend a trial of NDT, T3, or even T4 meds.
Used t4 since 2010, t3 since spring 2014 and next month my endo will write a license application for ndt so if its approved then i will switch over sometimes February maybe march.
T4 medication alone does have positive effects, one of them is that elevated prolactine is normalised, adding t3 doesnt do much but it helps.

You might also try pregnenolone and DHEA if you haven't already, but if the former makes you feel worse, then I'd just try HC again.
I have tried both preg and dhea and it did have some positive effect when i used nebido, after i switched over to pregnyl it has no effect at all.

Chronic infections can basically put your body in a chronic inflammatory state, which can cause sympathetic activation, which by itself or other biochemical mediators from chronic inflammation can lower your hormones, including sex, thyroid, and adrenal hormones.  So you might have a root to really investigate,

Unfortunately, health care where i live is 20-30 years behind on tests which makes many tests for infections unreliable.

Fyi:

Lyme protocol from dr. Levy

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11317
About 2 hours ago i picked up a kilo of vitamin c
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 08:56:27 pm by Sighalot »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 08:54:55 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 06:33:35 pm »

About 2 hours ago i picked up a kilo of vitamin c

A kilo??  You need to really read up on this stuff first before you do anything.  The only two forms you can do by yourself are the a) mineral form such as Ester-C and b) liposomal.  I would vote for LivOn for b as it has a fair amount of clinical backing and is truly liposomal. 

Liposomal is fairly expensive.  Ester-C is cheap at Walmart.  Liposomal will raise your plasma levels every high and Ester-C not so much.

Again, read up on this before you do anything.  It's just like TRT:  you need some base knowledge and, of course, it's always better to work with a pro.

If you take too much liposomal, you'll end up with diarrhea.  If you have gut or GI issues, please talk to a doc first.  Again, I'm just passing along information and the reason I do so is that we really don't have cures for these superbugs yet, and Vitamin C could help with many of them imo.

Let me know if you want some good resources.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 06:36:24 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 06:33:35 pm »