Quantcast

Author Topic: drinking skimmed milk after your workout as suppose to whey protein?  (Read 6764 times)

msr1981

• View Profile
what's your view on drinking 500 mls of skimmed milk after your workout, as suppose to having a whey protein with water?

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: drinking skimmed milk after your workout as suppose to whey protein?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 03:25:26 am »
what's your view on drinking 500 mls of skimmed milk after your workout, as suppose to having a whey protein with water?

The standard wheys, although likely neurotoxic imo, are very good for muscle building and are hard to beat.  But I go back to fundamental question:  are you going to risk life and limb just to increase your muscle mass by five extra percent?  Seriously, who care if you put on 10 pounds of muscle or 11 in a month?  What difference does it make? 

Your significant other is going to be astounded and delighted that you put on muscle.   She's not going to have a tape measure fixed on your biceps and ask before bed, "Where that extra 1/4 inch there, mate?"

So, basically, all proteins are great for bodybuilding and you'll put on muscle if you consume enough.  Evidence of this is the fact that vegan bodybuilders can put on a ton of muscle with "imperfect proteins." So "don't sweat the small stuff" in my opinion from the hypertrophy standpoint.

Now I do have to say that I wouldn't consume a lot of casein.  As I've mentioned, if you have too much of it, there is some evidence that it may be cancer-promoting.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:36:13 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 03:25:26 am »

msr1981

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:47:30 am »
Thank you for your response PeakT. I will try drinking a pint of Skimmed Milk after my workout and see how things work out. Unfortunately I still don't have a girlfriend. I have to keep dreaming for the time being.

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:35:02 am »
I didn't use whey protein for a long time. IMO it's just an easy way to get extra protein. If you eat real food and get it from that instead, just as good. There's nothing special about whey.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:35:02 am »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 04:42:05 pm »
I didn't use whey protein for a long time. IMO it's just an easy way to get extra protein. If you eat real food and get it from that instead, just as good. There's nothing special about whey.

I agree with the spirit of what you are saying as you can tell from what I posted above.  But whey, like casein or any other protein, has certain unique properties.  As I've already covered, undenatured whey raises glutathione.  And here are another couple of teasers:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/134/6/1454.short
" High-Whey-Protein Diet Reduces Body Weight Gain and Alters Insulin Sensitivity Relative to Red Meat in Wistar Rats"

"Dietary WPC also reduced plasma insulin concentration by 40% (P < 0.05) and increased insulin sensitivity, compared to RM (P < 0.05). These findings support the conclusions that a high-protein diet reduces energy intake and adiposity and that whey protein is more effective than red meat in reducing body weight gain and increasing insulin sensitivity."

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/6/1051.short
"Whey protein rich in α-lactalbumin increases the ratio of plasma tryptophan to the sum of the other large neutral amino acids and improves cognitive performance in stress-vulnerable subjects"

"Because an increase in the plasma Trp-LNAA ratio is considered to be an indirect indication of increased brain serotonin function, the results suggest that dietary protein rich in α-lactalbumin improves cognitive performance in stress-vulnerable subjects via increased brain tryptophan and serotonin activities."

Now I know what some of you may say:  this doesn't have anything to do directly with hypertrophy.  Well, first of all, it DOES over the long term.  Whey helps with insulin, immune response, detoxification and likely certain aspects.  This is going to keep you training for the long haul and, if you really want to put on muscle, that is what counts.

But here is another point:  the cheap wheys (that are neurotoxic) are absorbed very quickly.  So they are idea for pre and post workout drinks, forgetting about your poor hypothalamus and brain, if you have a somewhat porous blood brain barrier due to PDE5 Inhibitors, fevers, ministrokes, etc.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:46:48 pm by PeakT »
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 01:06:42 pm »

I agree with the spirit of what you are saying as you can tell from what I posted above.  But whey, like casein or any other protein, has certain unique properties.  As I've already covered, undenatured whey raises glutathione.  And here are another couple of teasers:

Good point. That's why I have 10 lbs of whey in my kitchen right now.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 04:19:51 pm »

You a dealer?  No, how much do you take a day?

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 12:48:52 am »

I take 25 grams a day.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 05:46:41 am »

I take 25 grams a day.

You better double up:  you've got about 181 servings there...

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 06:47:53 am »
You better double up:  you've got about 181 servings there...

Well it's 25 grams of protein but it's only like 120 servings. On days that I workout I take a second scoop so yeah it's a couple months worth still. This stuff is hard to come by in Japan. The government is highly suspicious of it. There's only like 5 brands total to choose from. Earlier this year there were only 2 brands. Before that it only came in a 1kg can for liquid protein diet medical use purposes.
But I can buy live turtles at the grocery store and whale meat...
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

Bob123

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 04:23:09 pm »
For muscle building whey protein powder will be better.  However, there's obv some health issues w/ many whey protein powders.  You could w/ the Biochem version Peak posted on the site.

If you want to go w/ a food version for post workout, chocolate milk is almost certainly your best option.  I'd still go with skim for overall health.  That will give you about a 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein.  Most recommend a ratio somewhere between 3:1 & 4:1 for post workout.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 04:23:09 pm »