Quantcast

Author Topic: The Binging and Cutting Way to Build Muscle  (Read 4214 times)

JackAndy

• View Profile
The Binging and Cutting Way to Build Muscle
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:58:57 am »
I read an interesting article by Dr. Casey Butt, an olympic power lifter trainer, talking about the human response to overeating. Basically if you take someone who has a balanced diet and then increase their calories by 60%, they will grow a lot of muscle as well as fat for a short period of time until their insulin sensitivity goes down. Then if they keep overeating they'll just get fatter, so it's just temporary. The same thing happens when you go on a diet to lose weight. You always have rapid progress at first and then it slows down to a crawl and becomes tougher. So what he recommended and what I did is this:

For 3 weeks I do cutting and I keep a very controlled diet and exercise plan. For those 3 weeks the fat comes off very quickly and reliably. Then after 3 weeks I start bulking and I increase my calories by 60% while eating the same kinds of foods. I don't eat total junk. Usually I just throw in an extra meal so I'll have two dinners or something. The first week I'll put on some fat pretty quick and it's hard to eat that much because I won't even feel hungry. Then the last two weeks my appetite will really increase and my muscles will grow bigger while only gaining about half as much fat as I did during only the first week. Then I switch back to cutting and burn that fat off plus a little more since I'm still losing. So it's back and forth like this for me. Everybody does cycles, I just do mine really short. I tried 6 week cycles, but the effect is lost after 3 weeks. If I diet for 6 weeks straight, I'll only lose half as much fat in the second 3 weeks as I did the first 3 weeks. If I try bulking for 6 weeks, I'll start to put on a lot of fat in the last 3 weeks.

So what I'm basically saying is that cheating is designed into my diet and I lose weight rapidly even though I'm only dieting half the time. I never cheat when I'm cutting though. Actually I don't feel hungry at all (usually) but if I start cheating, then I really lose discipline and start having cravings. So cheating and eating a bag of chips really just makes you more hungry. What keeps me motivated is the fact that it's only for three weeks, I still eat 2,100 calories per day so it's not like I'm starving and I don't get hungry, lose energy or feel light headed.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: The Binging and Cutting Way to Build Muscle
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:41:42 am »
I read an interesting article by Dr. Casey Butt, an olympic power lifter trainer, talking about the human response to overeating. Basically if you take someone who has a balanced diet and then increase their calories by 60%, they will grow a lot of muscle as well as fat for a short period of time until their insulin sensitivity goes down. Then if they keep overeating they'll just get fatter, so it's just temporary. The same thing happens when you go on a diet to lose weight. You always have rapid progress at first and then it slows down to a crawl and becomes tougher. So what he recommended and what I did is this:

For 3 weeks I do cutting and I keep a very controlled diet and exercise plan. For those 3 weeks the fat comes off very quickly and reliably. Then after 3 weeks I start bulking and I increase my calories by 60% while eating the same kinds of foods. I don't eat total junk. Usually I just throw in an extra meal so I'll have two dinners or something. The first week I'll put on some fat pretty quick and it's hard to eat that much because I won't even feel hungry. Then the last two weeks my appetite will really increase and my muscles will grow bigger while only gaining about half as much fat as I did during only the first week. Then I switch back to cutting and burn that fat off plus a little more since I'm still losing. So it's back and forth like this for me. Everybody does cycles, I just do mine really short. I tried 6 week cycles, but the effect is lost after 3 weeks. If I diet for 6 weeks straight, I'll only lose half as much fat in the second 3 weeks as I did the first 3 weeks. If I try bulking for 6 weeks, I'll start to put on a lot of fat in the last 3 weeks.

So what I'm basically saying is that cheating is designed into my diet and I lose weight rapidly even though I'm only dieting half the time. I never cheat when I'm cutting though. Actually I don't feel hungry at all (usually) but if I start cheating, then I really lose discipline and start having cravings. So cheating and eating a bag of chips really just makes you more hungry. What keeps me motivated is the fact that it's only for three weeks, I still eat 2,100 calories per day so it's not like I'm starving and I don't get hungry, lose energy or feel light headed.

This is a very interesting post.  I remember reading it and pondering its wisdom and then forgetting it (to my detriment).  I need to incorporate something like this with a little personal twist.

Are you still doing this?
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:41:42 am »

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:16:15 am »
Are you still doing this?

No I'm not. It came to a point where I was losing less fat and more muscle during my cutting so I was essentially just moving back and forth spinning my wheels.
I guess for a beginner, it works quite well but apparently there comes a point where you need to stay on a diet for extended periods and then also bulk for extended periods. Dr. Layne Norton talks about this in his metabolic damage videos. He recommends slowly increasing calories from maintenance level, like 5 carbs a week or 1 gram of fat per week etc. Then he also recommends slowly cutting calories to achieve the minimum amount of weight loss while eating the maximum amount of calories.
Dr. Layne Norton would say that 3 weeks is much too short for a diet or bulking.
I think he's right because I learned that the key to losing body fat isn't how you diet, it's about not putting it back on.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:52:15 pm »

No I'm not. It came to a point where I was losing less fat and more muscle during my cutting so I was essentially just moving back and forth spinning my wheels.
I guess for a beginner, it works quite well but apparently there comes a point where you need to stay on a diet for extended periods and then also bulk for extended periods. Dr. Layne Norton talks about this in his metabolic damage videos. He recommends slowly increasing calories from maintenance level, like 5 carbs a week or 1 gram of fat per week etc. Then he also recommends slowly cutting calories to achieve the minimum amount of weight loss while eating the maximum amount of calories.
Dr. Layne Norton would say that 3 weeks is much too short for a diet or bulking.
I think he's right because I learned that the key to losing body fat isn't how you diet, it's about not putting it back on.

Gotcha.  Well, I've noticed that I seem to make rapid progress for a few days at times.  Maybe it's my imagination and maybe it's more water loss, etc.  But what you wrote above seemed like it would work.  But your points are duly noted...
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:52:15 pm »

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 03:56:48 pm »
Gotcha.  Well, I've noticed that I seem to make rapid progress for a few days at times.  Maybe it's my imagination and maybe it's more water loss, etc.  But what you wrote above seemed like it would work.  But your points are duly noted...

It's quite difficult. I'm just hovering around that sticking point.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 04:17:57 pm »

It's quite difficult. I'm just hovering around that sticking point.

Amen brother.  I'm having trouble breaking through to the upper abs showing. 

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 04:17:57 pm »