Quantcast

Author Topic: Wrong methods  (Read 10503 times)

haole

• View Profile
Re: Wrong methods
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 05:56:39 pm »
I squat 3-4 times per week (3 times a week if I stick to the strong lifts).
I have a pretty narrow list of exercise:
Squat
Deadlift
Benchpress
Millitary Press
Dips
Pullups
Cable rows/lat pull downs

For fun I will sometimes leg press or hammer strength bench press after I've done the barbell work:
I was pyramiding up to heavy (for me) doubles and singles.

Going to try to add in barbell rows, despite my misgivings.

For me I've never noticed much visible gain from isolation exercise, but if I add substantial weight to the big compound exercises I almost always look better.

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 05:59:07 pm »
Two quick tips I can offer:

1) straight bar curls (if you have been doing them) can cause elbow problems for sure.  It has happened to me and other guys I know.  Preacher bench dumb bell curls or EZ bar curls are less risky although I seem to pump up better with the straight bar curls for some reason.  I only do these once a week now and do the other styles the other time/week.  And yes, I saw that your gym has limited equipment.  Maybe try a new gym?

2) If you want to stabilize your upper body, shoulders and chest, you should make sure to include back/rear delt work.  T-bar rows and lat pull downs nicely round out what is needed to build a fully stable shoulder capsule.  And as far as a second chest exercise, try mixing in some inclined bench press.  You will get a better upper chest development and recruit a bit of shoulders at the same time.

That's it for now.

It's a government gym so it's super cheap. The private gyms are super expensive. Tokyo has too many people to stuff them all on one hamster wheel for exercise. You buy memberships by the hour here. It's $100 a month for a 7-9 membership. So you can only come between the hours of 7-9 or something. Prime time membership fees are higher and all day fees are the same as a house.

The staff said they're getting a new ez-curl bar next month, so I'll just lay off the curls for two weeks.

Do the bent over rows count as back/rear delt work? I do the wide-grip pull ups so I think that should be good for the lats. I don't do close-hand pull-ups.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 05:59:07 pm »

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 06:03:23 pm »
I squat 3-4 times per week (3 times a week if I stick to the strong lifts).

I workout once or twice per week. I used to do EOD but then I decided to try Casey Butt's training scheme and measured my progress and it turns out that the once or twice per week routine had the same results.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 06:11:41 pm »
Yeah the bent over rows count and can be used in place of a T-bar setup.  The thing I don't like about them is that it is too easy and hard to resist recruiting your lower back into it when you are trying to focus on upper back and rear delts.  This is why I personally prefer the T-bar setup where I am supported at my chest.  Since your gym is limited, just stick with your bent over rows but try to resist the urge to "jerk" it up with your lower back.  If you are needing to jerk it with your lower back, you are likely lifting too heavy. 

And it would be a "Wrong Method"  8)
Wt: 210lb
Ht: 6'1"
BF% 12.5

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 06:11:41 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 06:24:50 pm »
Yeah the bent over rows count and can be used in place of a T-bar setup.  The thing I don't like about them is that it is too easy and hard to resist recruiting your lower back into it when you are trying to focus on upper back and rear delts.  This is why I personally prefer the T-bar setup where I am supported at my chest.  Since your gym is limited, just stick with your bent over rows but try to resist the urge to "jerk" it up with your lower back.  If you are needing to jerk it with your lower back, you are likely lifting too heavy. 

Agreed.  There are also great machines for this if your gym has decent machines.  I always felt the T-bar rows were a little precarious and so you couldn't push yourself as hard as you should.  The machines, though, allow you to stabilize and use almost all of your strength.  Everyone has their personal preference, but that's my two cents...
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 09:07:14 pm »
Peak,

I generally agree.  I can tell you that I can get a pretty good workout in on the T-bar though.  I definitely can push myself hard enough.  I can generate some serious good healthy soreness from it.

As far as machines go, there are some that are worthwhile I suppose but I tend agree with Casey Butt that they are not nearly as productive overall as free weights.

Just my two cents.  ;D
Wt: 210lb
Ht: 6'1"
BF% 12.5

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 09:33:31 pm »
Peak,

I generally agree.  I can tell you that I can get a pretty good workout in on the T-bar though.  I definitely can push myself hard enough.  I can generate some serious good healthy soreness from it.

As far as machines go, there are some that are worthwhile I suppose but I tend agree with Casey Butt that they are not nearly as productive overall as free weights.

Just my two cents.  ;D

I agree.  I have trouble with the T bar, though, due to the back issues.  It just stretches things out a little too much.  I used to do them all the time though...
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 11:55:45 pm »

Yeah it seems like there are two schools of thought on the bent over rows. I definitely noticed that if you stand rock solid when you do them, it's harder. I do cheat a little bit and add a little bounce in but I try and let the bar down slowly. For the bicep curls though, I use strict form. I keep my back on the wall so that my shoulders can't move or sway.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 11:55:45 pm »