Quantcast

Author Topic: Wrong methods  (Read 10198 times)

Blade78

• View Profile
Wrong methods
« on: April 17, 2013, 10:59:56 am »
This thread is about guys doing stuff wrong,
in the gym
I saw a fat guy spend 15minutes in the gym trying to use dumbells(35lbs) to coordinate to do a dumbbell press(see pic)

He wasnt a bodybuilder, he was "working out" and wasting his time.  Dont waste your time like this, go to the gym, have a goal, do your goal, leave gym. 

more topics later as I see guys doing dumb stuff.
“Don’t you feel good when you go to the gym?’ Not at all. There’s too many people in-shape there. When I go to McDonald’s I feel great. At McDonald’s I’m Matthew McConaughey.” --Jim Gaffigan - Mr. Universe

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Wrong methods
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:24:54 pm »
Well, if you're in the gym and you're actually moving and doing something, it'll be good for you.

What kills me is when I go and see guys that have 40 pounds of fat around their middle just talking.  I saw two guys talking in the lobby on Saturday when I went in and they were still talking when I left and there wasn't a bead of sweat on them.  Maybe they were going to work out later, but I think they were just getting away from the wife and kids...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 03:58:49 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:24:54 pm »

davie12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 03:44:40 pm »
I really like this guy's exercise videos (Mike Chang): http://www.youtube.com/user/sixpackshortcuts?feature=watch.

He has a whole series of them, some viewed over 3 million times. I agree...good form when exercising is critical. I am trying to get back into pullups. I cannot do one yet, but have researched proper form when doing lat pulls which is the best exercise to prepare for doing pullups. Supposedly, if you can do 10-12 reps at 75% of your body weight, you are good to go to do at least one pullup.
Recovering from adrenal fatigue through Paleo diet+exercise+vitamins/supplements; formerly used HCG & Clomid at various dosages

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 05:35:07 pm »
Don't even get me started ! (to quote big Al Pacino who incidentally has the same birthday as me I'm proud to say)

I see guys doing stuff wrong daily.  Wasting time on worthless machines or tearing themselves up (back and such) using reckless form or lifting heavier than they should.

But what really gets me scratching my head in amazement is the guys who do a warmup set and then sit on the bench for 20 minutes between sets reading the paper or text messaging.  This just requires continuous warmup sets as they are already cooled down by the time they attempt the next set!

Oh, and I've learned that it's not worth mentioning any of your observations to them as they always know better already.  OK pal, you know better.  I can see that by looking at you. NOT
Wt: 210lb
Ht: 6'1"
BF% 12.5

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 05:35:07 pm »

jinNE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 08:08:57 pm »
I really like this guy's exercise videos (Mike Chang): http://www.youtube.com/user/sixpackshortcuts?feature=watch.

He has a whole series of them, some viewed over 3 million times. I agree...good form when exercising is critical. I am trying to get back into pullups. I cannot do one yet, but have researched proper form when doing lat pulls which is the best exercise to prepare for doing pullups. Supposedly, if you can do 10-12 reps at 75% of your body weight, you are good to go to do at least one pullup.

I built a pull-up bar and mentioned in another thread that it's a humbling ordeal. :) I can now do two sets of three chin-ups and pull-ups. I could do ZERO when I first put the bar up.

sometimes the classics are still good, right?  8)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 08:11:37 pm »

I built a pull-up bar and mentioned in another thread that it's a humbling ordeal. :) I can now do two sets of three chin-ups and pull-ups. I could do ZERO when I first put the bar up.

sometimes the classics are still good, right?  8)

Women love the wings I've heard...
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 05:57:47 am »
I wish I had someone to help me with my form in the gym. Nobody ever says anything, but I'm sure it's not perfect.
I basically ignore the other guys though because you never know what they're doing or what they're training for.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 06:56:36 am »
I wish I had someone to help me with my form in the gym. Nobody ever says anything, but I'm sure it's not perfect.
I basically ignore the other guys though because you never know what they're doing or what they're training for.

Just look for a trainer with a lot of muscle.  Those guys, if they've put on the mass, are usually dedicated (imo).

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 10:22:10 am »

Just look for a trainer with a lot of muscle.  Those guys, if they've put on the mass, are usually dedicated (imo).
I'm much more curious about what JackAndy is doing that's so complex as he needs a trainer/someone to tell him what to do/do correctly?

“Don’t you feel good when you go to the gym?’ Not at all. There’s too many people in-shape there. When I go to McDonald’s I feel great. At McDonald’s I’m Matthew McConaughey.” --Jim Gaffigan - Mr. Universe

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 04:57:35 pm »
Jack,

Most guys are cool with you asking them how to properly perform a lift with good form and all.  Of course, you need to use common sense about when you ask.  For example, If you're are curious about how best to perform squats and I'm across the gym doing bench press, it might be the right time to come ask me that.  However, if we are doing bench side by side and you think I look like I know what I am doing, then give me a friendly inquiry between sets while I'm not huffing and puffing.

I only meant that I don't actively offer advice to guys I don't know.  Usually I get some type of ego response that they know what they are doing even though they clearly don't. Or the other annoying thing, that Casey Butt also points out in his writings, is as soon as you offer up advice some other little guy comes over that starts reciting stuff he just read in a fitness magazine!  Some guy that doesn't appear to have ever really done any weight training.

And as far as hitting up the local and present personal trainer for advice this can be hit and miss from my experience.  Some guys will briefly answer your question but then want to sign you up.  Or some guys can actually shine you on all together feeling like you want something for nothing.  And there are some good guys too don't get me wrong.  Like I said, hit or miss.

BF% 12.5

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 05:23:30 pm »
Jack,

Most guys are cool with you asking them how to properly perform a lift with good form and all.  Of course, you need to use common sense about when you ask.  For example, If you're are curious about how best to perform squats and I'm across the gym doing bench press, it might be the right time to come ask me that.  However, if we are doing bench side by side and you think I look like I know what I am doing, then give me a friendly inquiry between sets while I'm not huffing and puffing.

I only meant that I don't actively offer advice to guys I don't know.  Usually I get some type of ego response that they know what they are doing even though they clearly don't. Or the other annoying thing, that Casey Butt also points out in his writings, is as soon as you offer up advice some other little guy comes over that starts reciting stuff he just read in a fitness magazine!  Some guy that doesn't appear to have ever really done any weight training.

And as far as hitting up the local and present personal trainer for advice this can be hit and miss from my experience.  Some guys will briefly answer your question but then want to sign you up.  Or some guys can actually shine you on all together feeling like you want something for nothing.  And there are some good guys too don't get me wrong.  Like I said, hit or miss.

I agree with you.  But, if you're going to lift heavy, I think it's good to get a vet trainer who has a lot of muscle.  I say that because I've talked to many guys on the floor who have torn biceps, shredded their shoulders, etc.  Who knows if they have learned from their mistakes.  I remember talking to one guy who claimed he had blown out his biceps three times!  So I guess you've got to use some discretion...

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 05:40:10 pm »

Yep, exactly. It's almost like religion and politics. I guess I gotta just train myself. I really don't want to blow out a shoulder or bicep though. Right now my right elbow is acting up. It hurts on the overhead barbell press and overhead tricep extension. The only thing I can think of is maybe I haven't been tucking my elbows enough on the benchpress. But I'm just wonder about if I'm going too low or my grip is too wide on the overhead press. I went for a more narrow grip and it felt better. For the overhead tricep extension there's not much I can do. My gym has such limited equipment. There are no dumbells or even cables. So I've been using an ez-curl bar to do seated overhead presses. They took the ez-curl bar away last week though so I tried doing it with a straight bar and that's when the problems really started. I just don't know how I should be hitting the triceps besides that. They aren't really an issue though. The chest isn't developing along with the rest of my body. I asked a trainer and he said it's because I only do benchpress and that I should be doing two exercises for the chest. I've been doing the Casey Butt style one hour total body workouts. So I just decided to do 3 sets of the pec decks after benchpress. I hate pec decks but maybe it'll help.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

haole

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 05:43:38 pm »
What sort of set/rep and loading schemes are you using  Jack?

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 05:47:50 pm »
What sort of set/rep and loading schemes are you using  Jack?

3 sets of 8-12 reps. I usually aim for 1st set 12, 2nd 10, 3rd 8.
I do deadlifts, benchpress, bent over rows, overhead press, pull-ups, curls and tricep extensions. I switch between deadlifts and squats. On squat days I do calf raises too. For squats I do 4 sets excluding warm-up. 2 sets of 12 and 2 sets of 10.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 05:54:27 pm »
Two quick tips I can offer:

1) straight bar curls (if you have been doing them) can cause elbow problems for sure.  It has happened to me and other guys I know.  Preacher bench dumb bell curls or EZ bar curls are less risky although I seem to pump up better with the straight bar curls for some reason.  I only do these once a week now and do the other styles the other time/week.  And yes, I saw that your gym has limited equipment.  Maybe try a new gym?

2) If you want to stabilize your upper body, shoulders and chest, you should make sure to include back/rear delt work.  T-bar rows and lat pull downs nicely round out what is needed to build a fully stable shoulder capsule.  And as far as a second chest exercise, try mixing in some inclined bench press.  You will get a better upper chest development and recruit a bit of shoulders at the same time.

That's it for now.
BF% 12.5

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 05:54:27 pm »