Quantcast

Author Topic: Testosterone Instead of Antidepressants!  (Read 8282 times)

jinNE

• View Profile
Testosterone Instead of Antidepressants!
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:47:34 pm »
Interesting that you mention Testosterone. Right about the time I found my doc and realized I had low T, I was seriously considering going on anti-depressents. It's fascinating how may symptoms are common between low T and depression, and how each can effect the other.

I'm so grateful I got on the right path, and feel bad for all of those men out there on anti-depressents that are attempting to mask their symptoms instead of solve their problems - all without knowing...

Sam

• View Profile
Re: Testosterone Instead of Antidepressants!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:23:07 pm »
Interesting you brought this up,  I was going to mention that since my endo's at Kaiser have basically shut me out and told me to go back to my PCP and ask him why I am feeling fatigued since it is not hormonal in nature I feel like this is heading down the path of anti-depressants.   I had a conversation with my surgeon yesterday who is a great guy and expressed my frustration and he was emphatic "don't let them put you on anti-depressents"  your not depressed.  So at least I have one doctor in my corner, unfortunately all he can do is cut, stitch and prescribe pain pills.

Regarding depression and symptoms, if you are not Bi-Polar, Clinically Depressed or some other classification of mental disorder, it seems like a Dysthymia is possible catch all, but to your point if you look at the symptoms and May Clinic Criteria for Diagnosis it is incredibly similar to low T.

Diagnostic criteria for dysthymia
To be diagnosed with dysthymia, you must meet the symptom criteria in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) published by the American Psychiatric Association. This manual is used by mental health providers to diagnose mental conditions and by insurance companies to reimburse for treatment.

For a diagnosis of dysthymia, the main indication for an adult differs somewhat from that of a child:
•For an adult, depressed mood most of the day for two or more years
•For a child, depressed mood or irritability most of the day for at least one year

In addition to that, you must have at least two of these symptoms, and they must cause distress or interfere with your ability to function in your daily life:
•Poor appetite or overeating
•Sleep problems
•Tiredness or lack of energy
•Low self-esteem
•Hopelessness
•Poor concentration
•Trouble making decisions

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dysthymia/DS01111/METHOD=print

Recognize this is off topic from Blades original post, but I figure Peak will Split this out anyway:-)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:23:07 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 04:33:29 pm »

Recognize this is off topic from Blades original post, but I figure Peak will Split this out anyway:-)

Spot on...

Anybody want to chime in about how testosterone helped their mood, anxiety, depression or even - $5 word - dysthymia?  Or maybe even got them off antidepressants?

I actually had a ROLL CALL once asking anyone if they felt low T had contributed to their depression and we got quite a few responders of course:

https://www.peaktestosterone.com/forum/index.php?topic=319.0

CAUTION:  Depression is a serious condition so don't go off any medications w/o talking to your doc first...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:37:52 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

jinNE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 08:20:27 pm »
Well, I realize in hindsight that I wasn't an asshole, but a grouchy douchebag might not be too far off. I never intended to be that way, but I was always tired, and that made me short with everyone. Conversations were work - everything was work. I had very little patience, and I didn't realize until later that I lost my sense of humor. I tear up when I remember the first time my wife remarked that I had my old sense of humor back, seriously.

I was low, tired, humorless, stressed, short tempered, and disinterested in anything that had once held my attention while having no new passions and no interest in developing any. While I still had sex regularly (2 to 3 times a week instead of the old 3 to 4), it didn't feel the same or give me the same release/satisfaction, and I started wondering what an affair might be like. Of course, I now realize that NOTHING was going to make me happy, because my problem wasn't external. Friends and loved ones wanted me to see a head doc and get on anti-depressents. I shudder to think what that path would have done to me in the long term.

PeakT, let me say again THANK YOU for this site. It's contributed greatly to me regaining a quality of life I had lost, and keeping my great marriage to a fantastic (and sexy) woman!

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 08:20:27 pm »

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:08:03 pm »
PeakT, let me say again THANK YOU for this site. It's contributed greatly to me regaining a quality of life I had lost, and keeping my great marriage to a fantastic (and sexy) woman!

Peak,  didn't you have a rule about posting pics if you make claims like this?  :o

Seriously, this topic depresses me.  Look at these symtpoms

For a diagnosis of dysthymia, the main indication for an adult differs somewhat from that of a child:
•For an adult, depressed mood most of the day for two or more years
•For a child, depressed mood or irritability most of the day for at least one year

In addition to that, you must have at least two of these symptoms, and they must cause distress or interfere with your ability to function in your daily life:
•Poor appetite or overeating
•Sleep problems
•Tiredness or lack of energy
•Low self-esteem
•Hopelessness
•Poor concentration
•Trouble making decisions

The simple fact is if your a middle aged man struggling with Low T whether primary or secondary for long enough you are going to look at these symptoms and wonder if you are depressed.   If you stick to the western docs/endo's they are going to shut you down and eventually you end up here.  Take the case of varicocele's, if 15% of men develop these and they are being shown to lead to fertility and low T issues why isn't there more awareness on this subject?   If this was a womens health issue there would be a national organization fundraising for a cure and awareness campaign.

To take this one step further, if our society is willing to accept a bunch of men stumbling around with low T and say it's normal then what about our kids who have high energy.  Clearly a boy with excessive energy cannot be good either and we should give him a drug to mellow him out.  I know this is a stretch, but it's just frustrating and just seems like we are missing the forest through the trees in this country around mens health from early thru old.

jinNE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:17:43 pm »
Hi Sam,

Sorry, those pics are on a secure drive.  ;)

Seriously though, looking at your list...

•For an adult, depressed mood most of the day for two or more years CHECK
•Poor appetite or overeating (not really, bad eating habbits but nothing out of American norm)
•Sleep problems CHECK (kicked the Ambien habbit last year)
•Tiredness or lack of energy CHECK (even after working out for months!)
•Low self-esteem (not so much on this, but a lot of self doubt in my role at work)
•Hopelessness (I was getting there, as things didn't "fit" and I wasn't improving)
•Poor concentration CHECK (I am a smart guy, and my mental skills dropped SHARPLY over the last few years. They are getting much better!)
•Trouble making decisions (not so much specifically, but struggle with focus which could be the same thing)

If this was a womens health issue there would be a national organization fundraising for a cure and awareness campaign.

I agree with this 100%! It's sad, I think a lot of midlife crises and ruined marriages area result of low T. I think a lot of "depression" is really low T and the pills obfuscate the problem resulting in all sorts of issues and early death. This is why I'm happy to share <most> of my story with just about anyone that will listen - if I can help one guy recognize the signs early enough and seek help, that's a huge win. If someone had educated me, the last 5 years of my life would have been very different...

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 09:55:21 pm »

It's sad, I think a lot of midlife crises and ruined marriages area result of low T.

Dr. Sloan Teeple, which is quite the athlete I found out, wrote a book about his experience with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Still-Sexy-Whats-Him-Testosterone/dp/B00AZ90524/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366408499&sr=8-1&keywords=sloan+teeple

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

henngiss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 12:19:09 pm »
Clearly a boy with excessive energy cannot be good either and we should give him a drug to mellow him out.
[/quote]

That's what ritilin is for right?

henngiss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 12:24:16 pm »
Before starting trt on 10/23/12, I was taking effexor for depression and valium for anxiety.  I quit both of these at the same time I started clomid.  I don't feel great yet, but I do feel well enough to function without the effexor and valium.  My gp said my body is screaming for T, and the effexor is just masking the symptoms.  It is so important to get to the root of the problem right?

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 03:07:09 pm »
Before starting trt on 10/23/12, I was taking effexor for depression and valium for anxiety.  I quit both of these at the same time I started clomid.  I don't feel great yet, but I do feel well enough to function without the effexor and valium.  My gp said my body is screaming for T, and the effexor is just masking the symptoms.  It is so important to get to the root of the problem right?

Wow!  That is great to hear a GP saying something like that.  Docs like that give me hope for the world...

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 03:07:09 pm »