Quantcast

Author Topic: Labs - Testosterone Level Variance Between Labs  (Read 3663 times)

quickk

• View Profile
Labs - Testosterone Level Variance Between Labs
« on: July 16, 2017, 08:19:56 am »
Hello,

I had my testosterone levels checked in January 2017.

LabCorp (348 - 1197 nl/dl & 9.3 - 26.5 pg/ml)

9 AM
Total - 238 ng/dl
 Free - 6.4 pg/ml

With some lifestyles changes over 4 months, I decided to get it checked again, but by Quest Diagnostics.

Quest Diagnostics (250-1100 nl/dl & 35.0 - 155.0 pg/mL)

9AM
Total - 446 ng/dL
Free - 62.6 pg/mL

The LabCorp test was done by my primary doctor and the Quest test was done by Anytimelabs. I am scheduled to get my levels checked again by the doctor at the end of this month July 2017.

My question is - Although the 2 labs have different reference ranges, do the reference ranges both equate to be near the same? I'm just wondering what the Quest labs would show if I were to have done the test with LabCorp.

Thanks and hopefully I was able to get my question across
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:22:05 am by PeakT »

JBone

• View Profile
Re: Labs - Testosterone Level Variance Between Labs
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:50:42 am »
Hello,

9 AM
Total - 238 ng/dl
 Free - 6.4 pg/ml

With some lifestyles changes over 4 months, I decided to get it checked again, but by Quest Diagnostics.

9AM
Total - 446 ng/dL
Free - 62.6 pg/mL

The LabCorp test was done by my primary doctor and the Quest test was done by Anytimelabs. I am scheduled to get my levels checked again by the doctor at the end of this month July 2017.

My question is - Although the 2 labs have different reference ranges, do the reference ranges both equate to be near the same? I'm just wondering what the Quest labs would show if I were to have done the test with LabCorp.

Excellent question.  I've been wondering that as well.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:22:15 am by PeakT »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:50:42 am »

quickk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 11:58:07 am »
I can definitely feel a difference in the testosterone levels, so from that alone I think it may be close to being the same. However, I just want to clarify for peace of mind. I asked on some other places as well, so I'll update if I get an answer elsewhere before here.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:22:28 am by PeakT »

JBone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 12:22:49 pm »
I can definitely feel a difference in the testosterone levels, so from that alone I think it may be close to being the same. However, I just want to clarify for peace of mind. I asked on some other places as well, so I'll update if I get an answer elsewhere before here.

Well if you raised your TT and FT that much on life style changes that would be very impressive.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:22:39 am by PeakT »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 12:22:49 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:24:46 am »
Hello,

9 AM
Total - 238 ng/dl
 Free - 6.4 pg/ml

9AM
Total - 446 ng/dL
Free - 62.6 pg/mL

Technically, you're not really supposed to compare the results from different labs.  However, on a pratical level, my total testosterone is always between 650 and 850 regardless of which lab (Labcorp or Quest Sonora) I use.  So I don't really know, but I would guess there is usually only a 10% or less difference between the two on total testosterone anyway.  Just my estimation though.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

JBone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 01:45:14 pm »
Hello,

9 AM
Total - 238 ng/dl
 Free - 6.4 pg/ml

9AM
Total - 446 ng/dL
Free - 62.6 pg/mL

Technically, you're not really supposed to compare the results from different labs.  However, on a pratical level, my total testosterone is always between 650 and 850 regardless of which lab (Labcorp or Quest Sonora) I use.  So I don't really know, but I would guess there is usually only a 10% or less difference between the two on total testosterone anyway.  Just my estimation though.

How about different labs for free T and Estradiol?   Those ranges seem to be way different depending on what lab you use where as TT labs seem to be pretty similar.

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 02:08:18 pm »
How about different labs for free T and Estradiol?   Those ranges seem to be way different depending on what lab you use where as TT labs seem to be pretty similar.

A definite incompatibility with free T. Another reason to calculate it from SHBG and total T. Seems as though estradiol usually has similar ranges--for men some subset of 0-40 pg/mL, though maybe there's been a range with 50 at the high end. Sometimes the use of different units can throw one off.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T enanthate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 70 mcg anastrozole qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid
7-12/2018 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL, E2: 31 pg/mL LC/MS-MS, DHEA-S: 264 ug/dL (49-344)—SHBG ~30 nmol/L

quickk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 08:10:51 am »
Okay I said I'd update.

So as PeakT also said, probably a 10% or less difference in results from different labs, but for Total testosterone. Free Testosterone can not really be compared.

I was told "As long as the results are measured in the same units, reference ranges have no real effect on the relevance of the results. They're merely based on the fact that those two labs have different accumulated data from their patients, which average out differently. They build those reference ranges based on their customers averages, so it's very common for them to be different."

Got my results back from LabCorp:

9AM
Total = 473 ng/dL (264-916 ng/dL)
Free = 10.2 pg/mL (9.3 - 26.5 mg/dL)

Very slowly are my levels continuing to rise. Not a fast improvement, but still improvement. General well-being, energy, and everything else is continuing to get better. Only supplements I am taking are multi-vitamin, vitamin D, & fish oil along with strategic exercise & diet. Going to get a complete micronutrient test next and fix any deficiencies I may have, which I'm sure I do.

Will go back next month to Quest and probably continue to stay at Quest as it's faster than LabCorp.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 08:17:38 am by quickk »

labatts03

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 10:59:57 am »
There should not be a whole lot of variance between labs if they are measuring it in the same UNIT measurement.  I have been to different labs, both showed very similar numbers, but the acceptable range was way different between the labs. 

What I notice is that different countries have a different unit measurement, so some people look like they have pretty low numbers are actually mildly depressed to normal and we in the states say the number is way to low, because we think of it in terms of our units.  Think of Fahrenheit vs Celsius. 
Current Treatment:
.17 ml 100 mg/ml Test Prop ED
400 units of 1100 HCG Twice a week
.15 Airimedx EOD
Starting T 200
Current T:  unknown

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 04:46:06 pm »

Free testosterone seems to have some outliers imo.  LC-MS/MS estradiol seems pretty solid imo.  Let's see what others say.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

quickk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 07:14:22 am »
Thought I'd update this with some good news.

I've been following Peak for a while now, along with some other self research. Wanted to try to increase my T naturally before going the exogenous route.

I have more than doubled my T & Free T since my first test.

First test January 2017:

(348 - 1197 nl/dl & 9.3 - 26.5 pg/ml)

9 AM
Total - 238 ng/dl
Free - 6.4 pg/ml

Most recent March 2018:

(250 - 1100 ng/dl & 9.3 - 26.5 pg/ml)

9AM
Total - 579 ng/dl
Free - 18.4 pg/ml

Only supplements / meds I take are Alive! Mens Energy multivitamin, Lexa***, and trazo****.

Wanted to say thanks to the research here, all the articles, and information everyone posts. Lee's information, expertise, research, and amiability will be greatly missed.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:18:52 am by quickk »

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 07:21:27 am »

Congratulations on that. How much different do you feel?
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T enanthate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 70 mcg anastrozole qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid
7-12/2018 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL, E2: 31 pg/mL LC/MS-MS, DHEA-S: 264 ug/dL (49-344)—SHBG ~30 nmol/L

quickk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 07:26:35 am »

Congratulations on that. How much different do you feel?

It is a complete night & day difference from how I felt. I honestly do not know how I was functioning before. Looking back, it was as if I was in a cloud all that time and a flu-like energy level on a daily basis. A significantly higher amount of energy and drive now. I want to constantly be doing something up until I almost have to force myself to go to sleep.

doin it

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 02:58:07 pm »

quickk,
It would be interesting to know your age?
Thanks

Sam-Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 04:18:14 pm »
This is very exciting to me.

I know you mentioned the supps that you took.

Can you outline for us exactly what you did; and changed — and what you believe helped you the most.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 04:18:14 pm »