Quantcast

Author Topic: Norepinephrine (and Epinephrine/Adrenaline) Are Bad *In Excess*  (Read 2330 times)

Kierkegaard

• Hormone Shrink
    • View Profile
Just wanted to post this based on a response to someone who PM'd me.  He is taking choline and l-dopa and wanted to know if these increased norepinephrine and what supplements increase norepinephrine.

Choline becomes acetylcholine, which is the primary neurotransmitter for the parasympathetic nervous system, which counterbalances the sympathetic, which has norepinephrine as its primary neurotransmitter -- meaning good acetylcholine levels are helpful in reducing stress by balancing the parasympathetic with the sympathetic.  Dopa Bean, OTOH, increases your l-dopa, which is used because it increases dopamine.  However, dopamine becomes norepinephrine (and this becomes epinephrine/adrenaline), so there are some people, especially if they take too much, who convert to too much norepinephrine.  I wouldn't let it worry you, and if you want try going off the Dopa Bean for a week and see how you feel, getting back on it, etc. 

L-tyrosine is another supplement that precedes l-dopa, causing the same potential problem in some people too much NE.  Vitamin B6 increases the conversion of l-dopa to dopamine, which again can cause the same thing downstream.  Vitamin C and copper both increase the conversion of dopamine to norepinephrine. 

Remember that we all need a healthy level of norepinephrine, and people actually can get erections and increases in libido from taking buproprion (Wellbutrin) given that it increases norepinephrine.  Orgasms are triggered by norepinephrine release, and a resultant decrease in dopamine, which is one of the main reasons that makes you relaxed after sex.  Norepinephrine is also very important for energy.  Low levels have also been linked to depersonalization and derealization (which some here might know as a type of "brain fog"), especially in combination with low cortisol and/or poor HPA feedback (i.e., the hypothalamus isn't picking up on the signal of cortisol well).

Just FYI.  Norepinephrine and epinephrine are good and necessary within reasonable limits. 
"The same thing that makes you live can kill you in the end." -- Neil Young

March 2014: Dx low T (158ng/dl)
September 2015: Dx hypothyroidism, other adrenal hypofunction
2016: chronic fatigue, unspecified

Depression and anxiety guide: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Help_Anxiety_Depression

electrify

• View Profile
Re: Norepinephrine (and Epinephrine/Adrenaline) Are Bad *In Excess*
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:30:46 am »
I feel like at one point I was high in NE/E but now I'm low. A while back like 2 years ago anxiety was my primary concern, not depression but now its literally flipped.

And the times I do feel anxious I don't feel depressed. I'm guessing this is due to the mood boosting effects of NE.

I've tried 500 mg L-Tyrosine with 1 Dopabean pill and B6 but don't notice much.

I still cannot seem to find the very strange phenomenon of why of all things GABAergics like Benzos get rid of my symptoms. If you use Dr. M's theories on "high NE in depression" then the conclusion would be that they reduce NE. But then other things that reduce NE like Guanfacine which I mentioned seem to aggravate my symptoms of low motivation.

I have a theory that while benzos may reduce dopamine, maybe the reduction in serotonin signaling is a *good* thing for me and offsets any dopamine decrease. Or maybe they decrease DA in some regions but increase in others?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alprazolam#Pharmacology

According to wiki, Xanax can increase dopamine a bit in the stratium.

Additionally, I also suspect GABAergic neurosteroids are playing a role.

Very interesting the Russians have a psych drug that acts on neurosteroids btw!-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etifoxine

I have no idea why neurosteroid modulation has not been that popular in psychiatry (until recently but the allopregnanolone analogs are still in development)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:41:21 am by electrify »

Peak Testosterone Forum

Re: Norepinephrine (and Epinephrine/Adrenaline) Are Bad *In Excess*
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:30:46 am »