Quantcast

Author Topic: Low T, normal to low FSH and LH, 23 years old + confused  (Read 5714 times)

CosmicRiver

• View Profile
I guess the title says it all:) I need your advice guys, I really dont know what to think. I recently did a series of test, and found out my testosterone was low. Low like 6.92nmol/l(around 192mg/dl), and since Im just 23 we decided to do another one plus FSH and LH. And the testosterone came 8.55nmol/l(246ng/dl) and my FSH was 4.48mU/ml(ranges: 1.5-12) and LH was 4.19mU/ml(ranges: 0.8-6.0). Now whats funny is that the ranges for testosterone are 5.2-22.9nmol/l which I think is really broad, cos 5.2 converted to ng/dl is 149.

So my questions are:
Do I have low testosterone, and what do FSH and LH mean here? Ive read that if they are like normal to low with low t it means secondary hypogonadism, is that so?
Im obese plus Im on SSRI(antidepresants) can this somehow made my t low, and can it be the case that I dont need somekind of therapy.
I also did a glucose test, and It came slightly higher, like 6.1 is the upper border and I was 7.9, can that cause low t, or yet better can it be caused by low T.
Im a hairy guy, and I wear a full beard, so how can I have low T, althoug my libido sucks lately, I mean I can force myself to do the thing, althoug I have fine errection.

Now sorry for bothering you, and thanks for every advice and answer in advance. And btw the site and the forum are great, lots of reliable data.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Low T, normal to low FSH and LH, 23 years old + confused
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:09:28 pm »
I guess the title says it all:) I need your advice guys, I really dont know what to think. I recently did a series of test, and found out my testosterone was low. Low like 6.92nmol/l(around 192mg/dl), and since Im just 23 we decided to do another one plus FSH and LH. And the testosterone came 8.55nmol/l(246ng/dl) and my FSH was 4.48mU/ml(ranges: 1.5-12) and LH was 4.19mU/ml(ranges: 0.8-6.0). Now whats funny is that the ranges for testosterone are 5.2-22.9nmol/l which I think is really broad, cos 5.2 converted to ng/dl is 149.

So my questions are:
Do I have low testosterone, and what do FSH and LH mean here? Ive read that if they are like normal to low with low t it means secondary hypogonadism, is that so?
Im obese plus Im on SSRI(antidepresants) can this somehow made my t low, and can it be the case that I dont need somekind of therapy.
I also did a glucose test, and It came slightly higher, like 6.1 is the upper border and I was 7.9, can that cause low t, or yet better can it be caused by low T.
Im a hairy guy, and I wear a full beard, so how can I have low T, althoug my libido sucks lately, I mean I can force myself to do the thing, althoug I have fine errection.

Now sorry for bothering you, and thanks for every advice and answer in advance. And btw the site and the forum are great, lots of reliable data.

Just got a sec here:  the family is keeping me hopping, but here are a few comments:

--The normal "old school" hypogonadal lower range here in the U.S. was 260-280 ng/dl.  So, yes, anything in the 100's would be abyssmally low.  And it looks like you are doing your conversions right btw.

--SSRI's are notorious for hammering libido and causing erectile dysfunction.  You can experiement with different SSRI's, with your doc of course, and one SSRI is known for sometimes improving things:  Wellbutrin. 

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=search.displayRecord&UID=1994-30820-001
"Improvement in fluoxetine-associated sexual dysfunction in patients switched to bupropion"

Talk to your doc as this kind of stuff is more art than science.

--You have to take depression very seriously as it is hard on hormones, raises cortisol and can even hammer neurons.  I struggled with dysthymia most of my adult life and about half of it was probably low testosterone.  Low testosterone worsens mood:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/testosterone_depression

However, depression is usually multi-factored and so, while getting your testosterone out of the basement can help, it may not be a cureall.  Here are other natural solutions that can make a huge difference:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/depression_cures

--If you are very overweight, say 50+ pounds, losing weight may dramatically increase your testosterone.  The reason is that that amount of weight actually induces a kind of secondary hypogonadism and it occurs when the ratio of free testosterone to free estrogens reach a certain low.  It is possible to double your T with massive weight loss, but there are no guarantees.  However, if you really cut calories, it can actually be hard on testosterone levels.  I have many comments on losing weight if you are int'd.

--Some SSRI's are associated with weight gain.

--Low testosterone definitely has a lot to do with blood sugar/insulin issues.  As testosterone falls, insulin rises.  This is one of the reasons that low T is associated with cardiovascular issues, diabetes and prediabetes. 

--If you would like my book on the subject, I'll send it to you for free.  Just PM me.  It'll give you a lot of great information to discuss with your physician and that's why I wrote the book.

--Clear everything through your doc as you have some special circumstances going on of course.

Gotta keep moving.  You're doing the right thing by starting to work on this now.  Give it some time and in six months to a year, you can be a completely different person.

Hit me up again with any questions I left out...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 03:38:59 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:09:28 pm »

CosmicRiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 06:13:10 pm »
Thanks PeakT!
Well I guess my main problem is anxiety and depression. Before that I used to be midly overweight but not obese like now. Your right that SSRI make you gain weight, but Im afraid theres no alternative. Without them I wouldnt be functional at all. And being on them I surely cant lose weight. And I have like 70 pounds to lose.

Now concerning my anxiety, I dont have anyone in my closest family that is mentaly ill, and that was always kind of suspicious to me, altough Ive read that mental problems can stay passive and still be in the gene for 7 generations. My anxiety also started in kind of adolescence when I was 17. So the additional question is can I have low T all along, and that turn critical when I was like in the second stage of puberty in 17? Plus Ive had gynecomastia since 13-15 years, but I was hoping that it will subside and that its like a puberty thing going on, but its still here.

One more thing since you had dysthymia before T, how much did T help? And do you think that it can help with anxiety and depression? And those LH and FSH number, are they good, should I pursue anything there?

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 06:50:28 pm »
Thanks PeakT!
Well I guess my main problem is anxiety and depression. Before that I used to be midly overweight but not obese like now. Your right that SSRI make you gain weight, but Im afraid theres no alternative. Without them I wouldnt be functional at all. And being on them I surely cant lose weight. And I have like 70 pounds to lose.

Now concerning my anxiety, I dont have anyone in my closest family that is mentaly ill, and that was always kind of suspicious to me, altough Ive read that mental problems can stay passive and still be in the gene for 7 generations. My anxiety also started in kind of adolescence when I was 17. So the additional question is can I have low T all along, and that turn critical when I was like in the second stage of puberty in 17? Plus Ive had gynecomastia since 13-15 years, but I was hoping that it will subside and that its like a puberty thing going on, but its still here.

One more thing since you had dysthymia before T, how much did T help? And do you think that it can help with anxiety and depression? And those LH and FSH number, are they good, should I pursue anything there?

--Yes, depression must be taken seriously and if you need an SSRI for now, I understand completely.  The only thing that is important to point out is that lifestyle changes can have a HUGE impact on mood and depression.  I cannot emphasize this enough.  Your brain is a huge nutrient-sucking hog.  It requires vast amounts of raw material - more than any other tissue in the body - and many mental disorders including depression are linked to low levels of things like omega-3's, Vitamin C and the B vitamins.  There is no substitute for proper nutrition and you can make a strong case that probably half of all psychological issues would vanish with proper nutrition.

--Exercise is also HUGE for the brain.  The testosterone increase from exercise that occurs in the brain has been linked to neuronal health and even neurogenesis.  Your brain also desperately needs the blood flow from the exercise.

--Why do you say you can't lose weight on SSRI's?  Many guys have done it on the site.  Sure, it's harder, but it's a battle that is well worth it.  I'm not trying to be obnoxious - I'm just saying don't give up on this idea. 

--Yes, testosterone can make a monstrous difference in mood.  But not for everyone.  In addition, estradiol must be managed from what I have seen, especially in overweight men and high converters.   Testosterone will also help you lose weight per a number of studies.

So hang in there and there's no reason you can't do this...
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 06:50:28 pm »