Quantcast

Author Topic: Connection between DHT levels and muscle strength  (Read 1886 times)

Forty2

• View Profile
Connection between DHT levels and muscle strength
« on: December 10, 2017, 07:01:26 pm »
For those who have achieved supraphysiological DHT levels, did you notice that you were a lot stronger than when your DHT was within the normal reference range?

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Connection between DHT levels and muscle strength
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 07:16:13 pm »
My understanding is that it's primarily testosterone, and not DHT, that affects muscles.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T enanthate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 70 mcg anastrozole qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid
7-12/2018 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL, E2: 31 pg/mL LC/MS-MS, DHEA-S: 264 ug/dL (49-344)—SHBG ~30 nmol/L

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 07:16:13 pm »

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 07:25:23 pm »
Here are some details:

TESTOSTERONE IS THE ACTIVE ANDROGEN IN MUSCLE

Skeletal muscle is unique from other androgen dependent tissues in the body. It actually contains little or no 5-AR, so little or no DHT is actually formed in the muscle. In addition to this, any DHT that is formed, or that is already present in the blood and travels to the muscle, is quickly deactivated by an enzyme called 3alpha-hydroxysteroid reductase (3a-HSD).

So at least as far as muscle is concerned, testosterone is the primary active androgen. This is not to say that administering exogenous DHT is not without any anabolic effect. It actually does have some anabolic activity in the muscle, albeit significantly weaker than that of an equal amount of testosterone. This is due to its quick breakdown by 3a-HSD into the weak metabolite 5alpha-androstan-3a, 17b-diol. If this enzyme were somehow blocked, it is likely that DHT would exhibit very potent anabolic effects on muscle.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T enanthate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 70 mcg anastrozole qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid
7-12/2018 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL, E2: 31 pg/mL LC/MS-MS, DHEA-S: 264 ug/dL (49-344)—SHBG ~30 nmol/L

Boxcar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 07:46:23 pm »
DHT may improve strength, through its neurological effects, especially for someone who is deficient.  But it is telling that the steroid websites all conclude that andractim gel (which is bioidentical DHT) is useless for bodybuilding.
178 lbs 5'8''

Current Treatment: 50 mg testosterone cypionate IM, twice a week
Low T Symptoms: Chronic pelvic pain, and other neuropathic pain.  Mild anxiety, low energy and low motivation
Meds: Amitriptyline (for pain, not depression), Clonidine (for sleep, not blood pressure)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 07:46:23 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 08:31:58 pm »
For those who have achieved supraphysiological DHT levels, did you notice that you were a lot stronger than when your DHT was within the normal reference range?

Ditto to what Boxcar said.  The steroid guys often risk life and limb, but they have a pretty good handle on hypertrophy needless to say.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Varner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 08:44:02 pm »
Yes.
The mechanism is through greater CNS activation.
My 100 meter time dropped 0.4 seconds within 30 minutes of taking MDHT (a very significant margin).

The weight room gains are not as dramatic but they're there.
Protocol: 50 mg Clomid/day

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 08:47:11 pm »
Yes.
My 100 meter time dropped 0.4 seconds within 30 minutes of taking MDHT (a very significant margin).

2 questions:  What does CNS activation mean?  And what is MDHT?
Protocol: 25 mg T Cyp + 25 IU HCG M,W,F + 2 clicks T Cream + 15mg DHEA + 15mg Pregnenalone daily.
12/2018 test results: TT: 1054 ng/dL (264-916), FT: 17.2 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 21.6 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0)

BBkingbluesking122

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 08:58:35 pm »
Yes.

2 questions:  What does CNS activation mean?  And what is MDHT?

CNS = Central Nervous System
% Body Fat: 9 %

Forty2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 11:10:18 pm »
Yes.

Where did you buy MDHT? How much did you take and for how long?

Forty2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 11:13:02 pm »

Ditto to what Boxcar said.  The steroid guys often risk life and limb, but they have a pretty good handle on hypertrophy needless to say.

I realize that DHT would not increase muscle hypertrophy, but I've heard reports of it significantly increasing strength (by neurological means), without increasing muscle mass. That's why I'm curious to hear from members here who have raised their DHT levels significantly above their baseline levels.

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 04:00:06 am »
No strength differences found in the study described here.

Men receiving testosterone supplementation who also received a drug (dutasteride) commonly used to treat an enlarged prostate gland and which blocks the conversion of testosterone to its potent metabolite DHT did not experience a significant difference in changes in certain outcomes such as muscle mass, muscle strength, or sexual function compared to men who did not receive dutasteride, according to a study in the March 7 issue of JAMA.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 04:00:06 am »