Quantcast

Author Topic: My Iodine Experiment (Lugol's)  (Read 15896 times)

Kierkegaard

• Hormone Shrink
    • View Profile
Re: My Iodine Experiment (Lugol's)
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 07:32:10 pm »
I sure have gotten good results in my patients, and my own personal health, by following the advice in this very thread.

So far so good as far as myself.  Your commentary got me to read Dr. Brownstein’s book so thanks for that.
Dr. David Brownstein is a fellow Michiganian.

His lectures are excellent, as he takes apart previously unquestioned myths and misconceptions about thyroid and Iodine. he shows the studies....then tells what is wrong with them.

He is a great doc.  Have you read or have thoughts on his new book/approach on being anti-statin?
"The same thing that makes you live can kill you in the end." -- Neil Young

March 2014: Dx low T (158ng/dl)
September 2015: Dx hypothyroidism, other adrenal hypofunction
2016: chronic fatigue, unspecified

Depression and anxiety guide: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Help_Anxiety_Depression

EH

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 11:01:43 pm »
Peak, I use Mercola's iodine supplement a few times per week.  I first encountered low iodine readings when I was working at ZRT Laboratory over 10 years ago.  My urine test was low (70 on 100-1100 scale).  I have been cold susceptible my entire life; however, I noticed that after I started taking iodine that my cold resistance is much better now.  I can go snowboarding, or swimming in cold water, and not feel like I'm going to freeze to death.  My follow-up urine tests showed normal iodine readings (402 on 100-1100 scale), and my hair tests also show mid-range iodine.  This has remained mostly consistent for about 10 years now.  I initially tried the trifecta (tyrosine, selenium, iodine) but the negative effects of the tyrosine made me stop.  I did however return to iodine, and eventually selenium based on my results.  Interestingly, the only part of my thyroid profile that changed was my TSH went up from 0.5-1.0 to 1.5-2.0 range.  No other part of my thyroid serum profile changed very much.  As a result, I don't see much use (for me) in the thyroid serum profile testing outside of TSH.  I rely on it as a piece of data, but only in conjunction with Spectracell and the hair testing.
Age 40
5'8" 145lbs

*Cured my intermittent ED which started at ~35 years old by adding in nitrate-containing foods DAILY (arugula, beets, romaine, spinach) and drinking occasional POM juice. Interestingly, I have seen no changes in cholesterol/LDL/HDL or any other typical blood parameters.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 11:01:43 pm »

ghce

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 04:38:48 am »
Well all this discussion on Iodine and Iodide has got me me interested, I seem to see a lot of comment for it applied topically and also orally, what are the supposed benefits of each application method or are they all one and the same, particularly interested in the libido aspect that some people swear by.

Thyroid is one aspect of my health I have never looked at as most times I have had blood tests nothing seems out of the ordinary but as I say my interest has been piqued with all the discussion in this thread, I may well ask my Doc for a thyroid panel to be done then go and try the Lugol's solution as it is a cheap and easily accessible treatment.

At the moment with so many things going on in my life medically and lifestyle wise I am totally run down so I may well be wasting my time, once the sleep deprivation and sleep Apnea are sorted it might all just return to normal by itself :0
2014 Androderm Patches
2014-2016 Oral Andriol 160mg Daily
June 2016 Clomid/Serophene 12.5mg EOD
September 2016 no TRT all natural and supplements for the time being
February 2017 Testosterone cream 100mg daily

Sept 2016
Testosterone   8.2 nmol/l   9-38
Free Testosterone   239 pmol/l   L   250-800
SHBG:  14    nmol/L   9-60
Free Androgen index   586   >400
Oestradiol    112   pmol/L    <190
LH    2.6 IU/L Adult male   2 - 9 IU/L
FSH  1.4 IU/L Adult male L2 - 12 IU/L

22 November
T 6.8  nmol/L ( 9-38 ) L

March 2017
Testosterone:   45.0  nmol/L ( 9-38 ) H ( 1,323 ng/dl )
Free Testosterone:   1512  pmol/L ( 250-800 ) H
SHBG:   17  nmol/L ( 9-60 )
Plasma IGF-1:   227 ug/L ( 55-198 ) H
Plasma cortisol:   434 nmol/L ( 0600-1000 hrs 170-500 nmol/L )
HbA1c:   36 mmol/mol ( 20-40 )
LH:   <0.1 IU/L
FSH:   0.1 IU/L
DHT Plasma Dihydrotestosterone:   7455   pmol/L ( 223 ng/dl ) 
Reference Range Adult males  1000-6000 pmol/L

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 05:14:29 am »
Well all this discussion on Iodine and Iodide has got me me interested, I seem to see a lot of comment for it applied topically and also orally, what are the supposed benefits of each application method or are they all one and the same, particularly interested in the libido aspect that some people swear by.

Thyroid is one aspect of my health I have never looked at as most times I have had blood tests nothing seems out of the ordinary but as I say my interest has been piqued with all the discussion in this thread, I may well ask my Doc for a thyroid panel to be done then go and try the Lugol's solution as it is a cheap and easily accessible treatment.

At the moment with so many things going on in my life medically and lifestyle wise I am totally run down so I may well be wasting my time, once the sleep deprivation and sleep Apnea are sorted it might all just return to normal by itself :0

Sounds good but it’s best to read Dr. Brownsteins book and the testing protocol therein.  It is possible your iodine status is fine.  Unlikely , but it could be.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 05:14:29 am »

Simeoni

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 05:37:28 am »
So what's the recommended dose nowadays?

The last time I followed the the iodine conversation there seemed to be two camps in regards to dosing - the ones promoting taking it in the mg's and others mcg's.

When I did my last trial with iodine I choose to take it in the micrograms.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 06:38:04 am »

The last time I followed the the iodine conversation there seemed to be two camps in regards to dosing - the ones promoting taking it in the mg's and others mcg's.

There are still two camps.  I am trying the higher dose camp in the short term to specifically see if it helps with my dry hands.  This is strictly a little biohacking on my part.   I want to get tested somehow one way or the other in a few weeks. 
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 01:33:21 pm »

I suggest staying in the microgram range. Brownstein lacks any good evidence to be--irresponsibly--promoting mega-dosing. But there is pretty good evidence that multi-milligram daily doses can cause harm.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 3.2 mg TE subQ qd, 2.4 mg TP subQ qd, 20 mcg GnRH subQ 5.25x/d, 6.25 mg DHEA bid, 12.5 mg enclomiphene qod
Approximate levels (peak): TT: 700 ng/dL, E2: 30 pg/mL, DHEA-S: 300 ug/dL, SHBG: 30 nMol/L

EH

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 06:58:14 pm »
The Mercola Iodine is 1.5mg, so taken twice per week it is 3.0mg total.  The amount that equals on a daily basis is about 450mcg.  I'd prefer to take it daily at those amounts but it is only available in 1.5mg capsules, so twice a week is my compromise.
Age 40
5'8" 145lbs

*Cured my intermittent ED which started at ~35 years old by adding in nitrate-containing foods DAILY (arugula, beets, romaine, spinach) and drinking occasional POM juice. Interestingly, I have seen no changes in cholesterol/LDL/HDL or any other typical blood parameters.

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 08:37:34 pm »
The Mercola Iodine is 1.5mg, so taken twice per week it is 3.0mg total.  The amount that equals on a daily basis is about 450mcg.  I'd prefer to take it daily at those amounts but it is only available in 1.5mg capsules, so twice a week is my compromise.

Why not use a different brand then? Puffery aside, it's just potassium iodide.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 3.2 mg TE subQ qd, 2.4 mg TP subQ qd, 20 mcg GnRH subQ 5.25x/d, 6.25 mg DHEA bid, 12.5 mg enclomiphene qod
Approximate levels (peak): TT: 700 ng/dL, E2: 30 pg/mL, DHEA-S: 300 ug/dL, SHBG: 30 nMol/L

Sean Mosher

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 09:21:22 pm »
Peak, do you know who your current dosing amounts to daily??
Still reading / absorbing on this topic and am not sure where to start but would like to "experiment" a little since I exhibit some of the exact same symptoms you do.
Patient Liaison
http://www.PrimeBody.com (CODE: PEAKTVIP for 10% Discount)
[Site Sponsor]

NOTE: Comments on this forum are NOT medical advice and are no substitute for individualized patient care. Please consult your personal physician prior to initiating or changing ANY treatment regimen.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 11:54:21 pm »
I sure have gotten good results in my patients, and my own personal health, by following the advice in this very thread.

So far so good as far as myself.  Your commentary got me to read Dr. Brownstein’s book so thanks for that.

His lectures are excellent, as he takes apart previously unquestioned myths and misconceptions about thyroid and Iodine. he shows the studies....then tells what is wrong with them.

Hands have improved for sure.

Dr. John Crisler

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 02:46:05 am »

He is a great doc.  Have you read or have thoughts on his new book/approach on being anti-statin?
Well, I did not start a statin after my own heart attack.
Physician in Age Management Medicine private practice. www.DrJohnCrisler.com

NOTE: Comments on this forum are NOT medical advice and are no substitute for individualized patient care. Please consult your personal physician prior to initiating or changing ANY treatment regimen.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 05:11:02 am »
Still reading / absorbing on this topic and am not sure where to start but would like to "experiment" a little since I exhibit some of the exact same symptoms you do.

One drop rubbed on wrist or wrists rubbed together and I thought that was 12.5 mg, but I was wrong.  Bottle is Ojio Iodine and is Potassium Iodide 4% and Iodine 2%.

In Dr. Brownstein's book he states that "Lugol's iodine...was a mixture of 5% iodine and 10% potassium iodide in water.  Two drops of 5% Lugol's solution (0.1 ml) contains 5 mg of iodine and 7.5 mg of iodide."

So I was been taking a less concentrated form and only one drop.  So what I have been taking, according to my calculations is the following:

5 mg iodine * 50% * 0.4 = 1 mg iodine
7.5 mg iodide * 50% * 0.4 = 1.5 mg iodide

So I was only off by a factor of 10.   :o

That's still a good starting dose I think.  I am going to continue with that as I am seeing slow, steady improvement.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:24:32 am by PeakT »

Dr. John Crisler

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 12:03:01 pm »

One drop rubbed on wrist or wrists rubbed together and I thought that was 12.5 mg, but I was wrong.  Bottle is Ojio Iodine and is Potassium Iodide 4% and Iodine 2%.

In Dr. Brownstein's book he states that "Lugol's iodine...was a mixture of 5% iodine and 10% potassium iodide in water.  Two drops of 5% Lugol's solution (0.1 ml) contains 5 mg of iodine and 7.5 mg of iodide."

So I was been taking a less concentrated form and only one drop.  So what I have been taking, according to my calculations is the following:

5 mg iodine * 50% * 0.4 = 1 mg iodine
7.5 mg iodide * 50% * 0.4 = 1.5 mg iodide

So I was only off by a factor of 10.   :o

That's still a good starting dose I think.  I am going to continue with that as I am seeing slow, steady improvement.
That's a good idea.

Sometimes people will have a bad reaction to the Iodine. So you have to start with sea salt and Selenium, then slowly add the Iodine back in.
Physician in Age Management Medicine private practice. www.DrJohnCrisler.com

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 04:45:30 pm »
That's a good idea.

Sometimes people will have a bad reaction to the Iodine. So you have to start with sea salt and Selenium, then slowly add the Iodine back in.

I've been on selenium for a long time now - it's helped a lot

I'm probably going to stay on the above for awhile more, because my hands are just doing so much better.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 04:45:30 pm »