Quantcast

Author Topic: Metallic taste in mouth after *stopping* iodine (huh?)  (Read 2281 times)

Kierkegaard

• Hormone Shrink
    • View Profile
Metallic taste in mouth after *stopping* iodine (huh?)
« on: August 22, 2018, 07:31:12 am »
I've been on 6 mg (half an Iodoral tab) of iodine for over a year now and it's offered me benefits in cognition (less brainfog) that's probably attributable to its influence on thyroid function (thyroid hormone *is* tyrosine and iodine working together).  I wanted to see how I felt coming off of it, and about a day or two after coming off of it I noticed a strange metallic taste in my mouth, which almost tastes like the iodine itself. 

Any thoughts or experience with this?  I also have had a few moments of feeling absolutely awful with dissociative-like brainfog and increased fatigue, which seems to have gotten better since trying 1 drop of 2% Lugol's iodine tonight (about 2.5 mg iodine).  Perhaps the decrease in TSH (iodine is known to increase TSH without any known effects) from stopping iodine resulted in a temporary hypothyroid state as TSH "revved up" back to its normal state?
"The same thing that makes you live can kill you in the end." -- Neil Young

March 2014: Dx low T (158ng/dl)
September 2015: Dx hypothyroidism, other adrenal hypofunction
2016: chronic fatigue, unspecified

Depression and anxiety guide: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Help_Anxiety_Depression

HRT Guru

• View Profile
Re: Metallic taste in mouth after *stopping* iodine (huh?)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 02:59:53 pm »
I noticed my TSH went up 2 times in a row while using Lugols + selenium, curious the metallic taste you experience when stopping. Dont they say the Iodine pushes out toxic metals, flouride and such that might account for the odd taste when you stopped cold turkey.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 02:59:53 pm »

Kierkegaard

• Hormone Shrink
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 04:27:52 am »
I noticed my TSH went up 2 times in a row while using Lugols + selenium, curious the metallic taste you experience when stopping. Dont they say the Iodine pushes out toxic metals, flouride and such that might account for the odd taste when you stopped cold turkey.

The TSH increase is normal according to Brownstein and other iodine docs.  And yeah, I heard that about pushing out toxic metals, but why would that happen when I stopped?  Seems weird. 
"The same thing that makes you live can kill you in the end." -- Neil Young

March 2014: Dx low T (158ng/dl)
September 2015: Dx hypothyroidism, other adrenal hypofunction
2016: chronic fatigue, unspecified

Depression and anxiety guide: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Help_Anxiety_Depression

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 04:27:52 am »