Quantcast

Author Topic: Stimulant Addiction+ Testosterone  (Read 1135 times)

ADHDandOCD

Stimulant Addiction+ Testosterone
« on: September 17, 2018, 10:52:51 pm »
Even though my psychiatrist has told me I don't need to do a taper to get off amphetamines, I can't seem to do it and STAY OFF THEM.  My suspicion is the stimulants are messing with my stress hormones and maybe my testosterone in some fashion.  I am just constantly craving amphetamine pills and energy drinks/coffee like a fiend and I don't know how to keep the cravings from hitting me.  My pharmacist I usually talk to and my doctor both gave me some advice on trying to cut down very gradually and to exercise and maybe have caffeine as a milder stimulant to help ease the cravings, but I'm still getting desires to take amphetamines after years on them. 

Is it normal to experience such strong desires for amphetamines after prolonged use?  It's not easy coming off these and even though I've done it in the past, I miss the dopamine euphoria and the pleasure it gives me so I always give in and take some amphetamines to calm the dopamine urge. 

electrify

• View Profile
Re: Stimulant Addiction+ Testosterone
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 11:04:26 pm »
Stims can mess with HPA axis and T levels but the reason for the addiction I dont think has to do with that. Its an effect not a cause. The addiction is bc of the properties of the drug itself.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 11:04:26 pm »

ADHDandOCD

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 11:20:18 pm »
Stims can mess with HPA axis and T levels but the reason for the addiction I dont think has to do with that. Its an effect not a cause. The addiction is bc of the properties of the drug itself.

What do stims do to HPA Axis, (if you know?)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 11:20:18 pm »