Quantcast

Author Topic: Doctor thinks higher SSRI dose will help my testosterone  (Read 2830 times)

ADHDandOCD

Doctor thinks higher SSRI dose will help my testosterone
« on: October 09, 2018, 11:02:35 pm »
My prolactin is high and low thyroid hormones (t3, t4, rev. t3) all.  My test is low and SHBG is very low.  Doctor decided to increase my SSRI dose to 200 mg of Zoloft one time and I didn't do it but he recently suggested I go up to 200 mg again just recently. 

The endo dr. i have decided to squeeze my man breasts to see if I'd lactate milk and if I start lactating milk I think I will probably just quit seeing psychiatrists soon after getting off meds via tapering. 

Talk about a blow to the ego...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:04:06 pm by ADHDandOCD »

ADHDandOCD

Re: Doctor thinks higher SSRI dose will help my testosterone
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 05:07:59 pm »
Is this ludicrous or is he right? Don't SSRI meds typically raise prolactin and lower test?

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 05:07:59 pm »

Sean Mosher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 05:45:44 pm »
I don't think I've ever come across a study that didn't show that SSRI's were androgen suppressors so.......that one could actually raise T would be a first.
Patient Liaison
http://www.PrimeBody.com (CODE: PEAKTVIP for 10% Discount)
[Site Sponsor]

NOTE: Comments on this forum are NOT medical advice and are no substitute for individualized patient care. Please consult your personal physician prior to initiating or changing ANY treatment regimen.

Mindscape

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 06:44:12 pm »
Is this ludicrous or is he right? Don't SSRI meds typically raise prolactin and lower test?

SSRIs are notorious for making erections softer, prolactin is the cause and also these drugs lower testosterone which is a double whammy. So low testosterone cause poor sleep and as you are sleep deprived further worsens sleep quality and lowers testosterone even more.

SSRIs are a short term solution and stop working after they screw all other hormone.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 06:48:23 pm by Mindscape »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 06:44:12 pm »

charliebizz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 10:36:52 am »

SSRIs are notorious for making erections softer, prolactin is the cause and also these drugs lower testosterone which is a double whammy. So low testosterone cause poor sleep and as you are sleep deprived further worsens sleep quality and lowers testosterone even more.

SSRIs are a short term solution and stop working after they screw all other hormone.
I personally think people take to high of doses. I take low dose lexapro  2.5-5mg a day. I have seen slight rises in natural t levels but that also can be daily fluctuation. But not enough to make a claim like that. However while on trt it prevents my cortisol from going low. Trt usually lowers my cortisol a lot. Iíve had many blood labs to prove it.

ADHDandOCD

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 08:31:14 pm »

I personally think people take to high of doses. I take low dose lexapro  2.5-5mg a day. I have seen slight rises in natural t levels but that also can be daily fluctuation. But not enough to make a claim like that. However while on trt it prevents my cortisol from going low. Trt usually lowers my cortisol a lot. Iíve had many blood labs to prove it.

I'm glad you mentioned that!  I noticed the same thing with TRT lowering cortisol.  TRT also lowered my DHEA a bit, but was dose-dependent like most things for me.  I don't think I know much more of what I can do to help my testosterone because of my long history of TRT and also my long history of psychiatric meds.  Natural methods are always helpful but not significantly.  Labs will be done on me soon though and how my doc and I will progress from there depends on how those labs go. 

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 02:33:59 am »
I would avoid increasing the SSRI.  Those things are murder to get off of.  And you should want to get off of them if at all possible.  The reality of it is, your hormone profile is whack right now.  So of course you are not going to feel well.  I do not think adding more SSRI is going to fix that.  It will probably just make the situation worse.
Protocol: 25 mg T Cyp + 25 IU HCG M,W,F + 2 clicks T Cream + 15mg DHEA + 15mg Pregnenalone daily.
12/2018 test results: TT: 1054 ng/dL (264-916), FT: 17.2 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 21.6 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0)

charliebizz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 07:49:07 pm »
I would avoid increasing the SSRI.  Those things are murder to get off of.  And you should want to get off of them if at all possible.  The reality of it is, your hormone profile is whack right now.  So of course you are not going to feel well.  I do not think adding more SSRI is going to fix that.  It will probably just make the situation worse.
its so crazy. Back when I was in my late teens early 20s I had bad anxiety and I was on a hefty dose of Paxil for 2 years. I quit cold turkey and had no side effects.

I now take 2.5 through 5mg of lexapro and I got off for a little while a few months ago and i did have some sides. Mostly brain zaps for a few weeks but nothing crazy

electrify

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 03:14:14 am »
its so crazy. Back when I was in my late teens early 20s I had bad anxiety and I was on a hefty dose of Paxil for 2 years. I quit cold turkey and had no side effects.

I now take 2.5 through 5mg of lexapro and I got off for a little while a few months ago and i did have some sides. Mostly brain zaps for a few weeks but nothing crazy

Dont forget the effects of low dose SSRI on Allopregnanolone!

Both cortisol and allopregnanolone get affected by SSRIs. Both also get affected bg Preg supplementation. I think Allopregnanolone is very important and a missing piece for some. Its not so simple as Preg supps always bc it comes from 5-AR enzyme.

ADHDandOCD

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 07:42:20 am »

Dont forget the effects of low dose SSRI on Allopregnanolone!

Both cortisol and allopregnanolone get affected by SSRIs. Both also get affected bg Preg supplementation. I think Allopregnanolone is very important and a missing piece for some. Its not so simple as Preg supps always bc it comes from 5-AR enzyme.

Can you explain more of why low dose SSRI affects allopregnanolone, or how it does that? 

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 07:42:20 am »