Quantcast

Author Topic: Seems like I am gaining weight with Clomid - change protocols?  (Read 619 times)

JonnyV

• View Profile
Seems like I am gaining weight with Clomid - change protocols?
« on: November 11, 2018, 10:23:27 am »
Hey everyone,

Anyway, I started using Clomid in various doses in 2016 when I started to have low T problems. When I started using it, it was with Anastrazole and DIM, and my T shot up to 900 ng/dL from around 300. I felt really good, libido was awesome, energy good, really had no well-being negatives, except that I noticed that my weight was climbing up really fast. It was noticeable because my clothes stopped fitting and I had to buy new ones.

Luckily, I had a DEXA scan from before starting Clomid. In just 10 months, I had gained 25 lbs. About 8 lb were muscle and the rest fat. This is with minimal change in diet and low to moderate exercise, which was the same as before. After speaking with my doctor, we decided to try removing the anastrazole and DIM, and sticking with 12.5mg Clomid ED.

It's been almost 2 years since that change and I still have been gaining weight. I kept track via DEXA scans. From before I started Clomid to now, I have gained 50 lbs! 50 lbs! Now, my diet recently has not been good and I have only been at the gym 4-5 times a month, but these kinds of numbers are just insane. I tried for 2 years now to get my weight down but it has been an uphill battle. Like I said, my diet for the past year has not been great, but it also has not been very bad either. This sort of weight gain is outrageous and in my opinion very unlikely due to changes in behavior alone.

I don't want to blame Clomid completely, but I would think that a successful T replacement protocol would help on the body composition side as well, and not make things worse. I am not sure what to do now. Part of me wants to try injections. Has anyone else gone through the same thing with Clomid? It seemed like others had experienced similar things. Secondly, what do you think I should do regarding my protocol?

Here is a summary of all of my DEXA scans over the last 2 years: https://imgur.com/a/UpvcMGC
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:25:26 am by JonnyV »

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
Re: Seems like I am gaining weight with Clomid - change protocols?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 06:07:42 pm »
I agree with you that a 50lb gain is likely not from diet alone.  I suspect that the estrogenic effects of Clomid have caused some of this and it is probably water retention.  I have heard Dr. Chrisler say that when he gets guys with estrogen issues controlled properly that they will lose scads of water weight in no time at all. 

If I were you, I'd try reducing the Clomid dose, taking 12.5mg every other day.  You may be able to retain the T levels but drop some of the estrogenic effects.  Alternately, what does your doc think about using more anastrazole?
Protocol: 25 mg T Cyp + 25 IU HCG M,W,F + 2 clicks T Cream + 15mg DHEA + 15mg Pregnenalone daily.
12/2018 test results: TT: 1054 ng/dL (264-916), FT: 17.2 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 21.6 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 06:07:42 pm »

JonnyV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 09:07:19 pm »
I agree with you that a 50lb gain is likely not from diet alone.  I suspect that the estrogenic effects of Clomid have caused some of this and it is probably water retention.  I have heard Dr. Chrisler say that when he gets guys with estrogen issues controlled properly that they will lose scads of water weight in no time at all. 

If I were you, I'd try reducing the Clomid dose, taking 12.5mg every other day.  You may be able to retain the T levels but drop some of the estrogenic effects.  Alternately, what does your doc think about using more anastrazole?
Thanks for the reply and the confirmation that this can't just be diet. I feel like I am going crazy haha.

It might be estrogen - my estrogen was high for the first year while taking Clomid. The last two readings I got were around 15-16 (will look up the exact numbers later), so it's looking pretty low at the moment. I can always get retested though. Because of the low estrogen, my doctor advised not to take anastrazole or DIM.

I can try 12.5 Clomid every other day, I just worry that my T will drop significantly. Right now I am sitting between 500-600, so halving the dose might have a huge change. But it's something I can try.

ChrisCanada

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 11:42:44 pm »

I totally agree with Joe Sixpack.

Clomid usually starts off making people feel wonderful but then, the E2 effect takes over and your estrodial levels go through the roof.

One of the main symptoms of high estradiol in a man is water retention.

So Clomid is "indirectly" causing your water retention, which is likely leading to weight gain.

My personal succes on Clomid was dropping to 12.5 eod after starting out as high as 50mg per day.

Clomid is a hard drug to maintain stable estrogen levels.  If it works, it works at a low dose.  Anastrozole and Clomid were the worst combination of my life and I never felt worse, after never feeling better for my first week on Clomid.  Within a few months, I switched to testosterone enanthate injections, much easier to manage and I never looked back.

In retrospect, I may have given more time to my 12.5mg eod regiment but I got impatient and wanted to feel good.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 11:42:44 pm »

JonnyV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 12:09:30 pm »
I totally agree with Joe Sixpack.

Clomid usually starts off making people feel wonderful but then, the E2 effect takes over and your estrodial levels go through the roof.

One of the main symptoms of high estradiol in a man is water retention.

So Clomid is "indirectly" causing your water retention, which is likely leading to weight gain.

My personal succes on Clomid was dropping to 12.5 eod after starting out as high as 50mg per day.

Clomid is a hard drug to maintain stable estrogen levels.  If it works, it works at a low dose.  Anastrozole and Clomid were the worst combination of my life and I never felt worse, after never feeling better for my first week on Clomid.  Within a few months, I switched to testosterone enanthate injections, much easier to manage and I never looked back.

In retrospect, I may have given more time to my 12.5mg eod regiment but I got impatient and wanted to feel good.

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the feedback and anectdotes. I am willing to start 12.5mg EOD for now. I will run it by my doctor to make sure he agrees. I hope a lot of this is water weight as you said and I can lose it fast.

I am considering moving to straight SubQ injections, I am sick of taking a drug and compromising my health, when I should just get the real thing.

Paco1973

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 08:09:16 pm »
I put on some weight from Clomid. It's not just you. The good thing about weight is that time and work is all it takes to get rid of it.

Clomid is great for fertility, but it sucks for TRT. I was on it for almost a year. I went back to testosterone, and I feel pretty good.

My advice: drop the Clomid and move on to testosterone. Life is better on this side of the tracks.
44 years old.
Protocol 0.1ml of 100mg per ml of Testosterone Propionate injected daily subcutaneously.
HCG 150iu daily
Anastrazole 0.05mg twice a week

shattered dreams

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 10:19:53 pm »
I don't want to blame Clomid completely.

It IS the Clomid completely.  I started gaining weight instantly when starting it.  After 3 weeks, I went off it for good as I could not take it anymore.  I then started trt and it did the same thing.  I finally decided I would rather have low t than be fat, so I went off all of it 2 months ago.  I am going to go the natural route of raising t, but I got to get all of this fat off my body first which is turning into a huge challenge.  I personally gained 16 pounds between Clomid and trt, and that was within 4 months.

JonnyV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 10:25:00 am »
I put on some weight from Clomid. It's not just you. The good thing about weight is that time and work is all it takes to get rid of it.

Clomid is great for fertility, but it sucks for TRT. I was on it for almost a year. I went back to testosterone, and I feel pretty good.

My advice: drop the Clomid and move on to testosterone. Life is better on this side of the tracks.

Thanks for adding your datapoint. Did you lose the weight when you got on testosterone?

JonnyV

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 10:27:19 am »
It IS the Clomid completely.  I started gaining weight instantly when starting it.  After 3 weeks, I went off it for good as I could not take it anymore.  I then started trt and it did the same thing.  I finally decided I would rather have low t than be fat, so I went off all of it 2 months ago.  I am going to go the natural route of raising t, but I got to get all of this fat off my body first which is turning into a huge challenge.  I personally gained 16 pounds between Clomid and trt, and that was within 4 months.

Damn so you had a very similar experience. Are you sure it was fat and not muscle? And what natural methods are you using?

shattered dreams

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 06:51:30 pm »

Damn so you had a very similar experience. Are you sure it was fat and not muscle? And what natural methods are you using?

Yes, definitely fat.  My pant size is always 30/30.  It is now 34/30, so I gained 3-4 inches in the waist.  My face is now fat and my six pack is now a gut.  I am using a high carb/ high fat/ high protein diet with multiple herbs and vitamins.   The ones that has made the biggest difference are 400iu vitamin e and ashwagandha.  In two months since going cold turkey I am now sleeping much better and testosterone is definitely going up.  I have decided I am going to have to go low carb/high protein/high fat temporarily to lose the fat, then go back to what I am doing now to get my testosterone back up.  It took me a while to notice that high carbs are essential to having high testosterone.  They also prevent fat loss, so it is a conundrum. 

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 06:51:30 pm »