Quantcast

Author Topic: Gentamicin - nerve damage?  (Read 10793 times)

alienshadow

• View Profile
Gentamicin - nerve damage?
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:21:46 am »
Peak I was on this drug in 2011.. I think I may be putting 2 and 2 together and since you research so well I need your help please??? I was put on Gentamicin (nose spray) I cant remember how I did it if it was 2 sparays in each nostril once a day or twice a day.. Anyway after being on this drug this is when I woke up with the dizzy type feeling and then after surgery I used it again.. Thats when the off feeling came back on me.. I really wonder now if this drug caused it.. I found this written by someone but I know you know many other sites than I do.. here is one thing I read..

Doctors used to prescribe Gentamicin topically (nasal irrigation) to treat sinus infections. They had to stop when even topical Gentamicin caused these neurological symptoms. Even though it was just being sprayed into the nose, enough of it got into the bloodstream to cause problems..

Whats your thinking??? I know if this is the case there is no treatment for it. I could be wrong But I was on this drug for 2 or 3 months it was in a big bottle sprayer..The pharmacy had to mix it up for me... I am gonna mention this to my Neuro dr as well..
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:58:57 pm by PeakT »
I have had symptoms since Sept 2011..
Blurry vision
Off feeling (brain fog) no spinning just off
Total T levels 185 with androgel 189 on shots now 5-30-13
Total T Level as of July 23rd.. 637
Still no E2 testing.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Gentamicin - nerve damage?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 03:14:54 pm »
Unfortunately, there could be something to this per a few studies.  But, of course, discuss with a knowledgeable physicians or three.  Apparently, gentamicin can be neurotoxic in some patients:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19380701
"Horizontal head impulse test detects gentamicin vestibulotoxicity."

Looks like it can cause a variety of neuropathies from what I am seeing plus this:

"Parenteral antibiotic therapy with gentamicin, even in accepted therapeutic doses, can occasionally cause bilateral vestibular loss (BVL) due to hair cell toxicity."

Now there is some good news in all of this perhaps.  it may be reversible in some cases?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/831249
"[Gentamicin neurotoxicity (polyneuropathy--encephalopathy)].'

"The ultrastructural analysis of the nerve biopsy afforded evidence of an induced lysosomal abnormality comparable to the changes observed in gentamicin nephrotoxicity. As in nephrotoxicity, the neurotoxic effect seems to be reversible."

I hope this isn't it.  Talk with your docs and, if you feel like it, let us know what you find out.

Also, these forums may be of assistance?

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Best_Health_Forums

You can find out more by searching on things like gentamicin and neurotoxicity, etc.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 03:16:52 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 03:14:54 pm »

alienshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 03:24:49 pm »
As much as I have worried Peak it would be relief just to know I am not crazy and maybe this is a possible answer to my issues.. Just maybe I could accept this answer even though it may never clear up at least I know and who knows..
Blurry vision
Still no E2 testing.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 03:31:49 pm »
As much as I have worried Peak it would be relief just to know I am not crazy and maybe this is a possible answer to my issues.. Just maybe I could accept this answer even though it may never clear up at least I know and who knows..

Well, again, the brain is VERY plastic so even if this is it, you should be able to make considerable recovery.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 03:31:49 pm »

alienshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:36:02 pm »
I think you are right cant wait to mention this to my DR. It really just hit me last night out of the blue I never thought of this before. An ENT prescribed it for me. My Drs are in another town I hope they may listen to me...

Also I have been a member on Medhelp since 2007 I have helped many many people there over the years.. I have posted and replied I think I am over 6000 post and answers now would be more but I took a long break from there..
Blurry vision
Still no E2 testing.

alienshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 08:33:02 pm »
http://doublecheckmd.com/EffectsDetail.do?dname=gentamicin&sid=11950&eid=2527

Very interesting stuff I am shocked to just be finding out this could be why my vision is messed up and why I feel so off in the head...
Blurry vision
Still no E2 testing.

alienshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 01:58:47 pm »
Well I talked to pharmacist today. She said there was very little gentamicin in the nasal spray and she would not expect it to cause the issues I have... Just another let down for sure!  But I have read Gentamicin Nasal spray can cause neuro issues.. Whats your take now Peak?
Blurry vision
Still no E2 testing.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 02:07:47 pm »
Well I talked to pharmacist today. She said there was very little gentamicin in the nasal spray and she would not expect it to cause the issues I have... Just another let down for sure!  But I have read Gentamicin Nasal spray can cause neuro issues.. Whats your take now Peak?

It's true that most of the nasal stuff has a much lower absorption that the oral forms.  However, one story:

Oral minoxidil is known for causing arrythmias.  When I rubbed some into my scalp I got the nastiest heart murmurs.  I can't prove it was the minoxidil but I know I stopped it and it went away. 

And you supposedly only absorb a fraction through the scalp.

But I would go with what the pharmacist says.  That is very likely the case, don't you think?

alienshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 02:21:02 pm »

But I would go with what the pharmacist says.  That is very likely the case, don't you think?

So you are thinking this drug probably isnt the problem??
Blurry vision
Still no E2 testing.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 03:39:27 pm »

So you are thinking this drug probably isnt the problem??

Neither you nor I know that one.  So I would personally pursue all avenues:

Use this as a "clarion call" to troubleshoot everything:  hormones, lifestyle, endothelium and, yes, neuropathy.  Don't get weird and obsess about it, of course.  But go down all the rabbit trails and learn as much as you can talk to as many smart docs as you can.

alienshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 04:56:24 pm »
Great Idea peak.. I seem to already be going crazy anxiety through the roof.. My mind dosent slow down I worry something really bad is wrong with me... I know I have no control of that. Its been almost 19 months tell me for sure something bad bad would have progressed.. OOOoopppsss sorry I slipped I am getting my thoughts out sorry..
Blurry vision
Still no E2 testing.

alienshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 10:41:41 pm »
Side effects of gentamicin toxicity vary from patient to patient. Side effects may become apparent shortly after or up to months after gentamicin is administered. Symptoms of gentamicin toxicity include: •Balance difficulty
•Bouncing, unsteady vision
•Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
•Difficulty multi-tasking, particularly when standing

Psychiatric symptoms related to gentamicin can occur. These include anorexia, confusion, depression, disorientation and visual hallucinations.Immediate professional help should be sought if any of these symptoms or others appear after administration of aminoglycosides. General medical practitioners should refer patients with such symptoms to an otolaryngologist, commonly known as an 'ear, nose, and throat doctor', for comprehensive tests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentamicin#Side_effects

Side Effects of This Medicine

Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.

Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur:

Incidence not known

•
Abdominal or stomach cramps or pain

•
agitation

•
back pain

•
black, tarry stools

•
blood in the urine

•
blurred or double vision

•
burning, numbness, tingling, or painful sensations

•
change in frequency of urination or amount of urine

•
chest pain

•
chills

•
coma

•
confusion

•
continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears

•
cough

•
difficult or troubled breathing

•
difficulty with swallowing

•
dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position

•
drowsiness

•
dry mouth

•
eye pain

•
fast heartbeat

•
fever with or without chills

•
hallucinations

•
headache

•
hearing loss

•
hives

•
hoarseness

•
increased thirst

•
irregular heartbeats

•
irregular, fast or slow, or shallow breathing

•
irritability

•
itching

•
joint pain

•
loss of appetite

•
mood or mental changes

•
muscle cramps in the hands, arms, feet, legs, or face

•
muscle pain or weakness

•
muscle spasms (tetany) or twitching

•
nausea or vomiting

•
nervousness

•
numbness and tingling around the mouth, fingertips, or feet

•
pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin

•
pale skin

•
pinpoint red spots on the skin

•
puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue

•
right upper abdominal or stomach pain and fullness

•
seizures

•
sensation of spinning

•
skin rash

•
slow or fast heartbeat

•
slow or irregular breathing

•
sore throat

•
sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth

•
stiff neck

•
sweating

•
swelling of the feet or lower legs

•
swollen glands

•
tightness in the chest

•
trembling

•
unusual bleeding or bruising

•
unusual tiredness or weakness

•
weight chest discomfort

•
weight loss

•
wheezing

Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:

Incidence not known

•
Blurred or loss of vision

•
decreased appetite

•
depression

•
disturbed color perception

•
hair loss or thinning of the hair

•
halos around lights

•
hives or welts

•
increased salivation

•
night blindness

overbright appearance of lights

pain at the injection site

purple spots on the skin

redness of the skin

swelling or inflammation of the mouth

tunnel vision

•
unusual drowsiness, dullness, tiredness, weakness, or feeling of sluggishness

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0046102/#DDIC603327.side_effects_section

All I can say is WOW some of these symptoms fit me to the TEE!!! I mean really they do..
Blurry vision
Still no E2 testing.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 10:41:41 pm »