Quantcast

Author Topic: TRT and Depression  (Read 417 times)

ADHDandOCD

TRT and Depression
« on: January 19, 2019, 05:26:07 pm »
What do you all do (if you are on TRT) if you experience depression on TRT?  I thought I would feel less depressed with TRT, but I only felt better for maybe a month or two then I started feeling pretty bland, numb, and uninterested in things again. 

Ex gf used to give me crap about having small balls from TRT and usually took it personally if I couldn't ejaculate because she always believed that was me not being sexually interested in her enough.  I ended up breaking up with her around 4.5 years ago.  I am afraid to date again because I do not have average sized balls nor penis and yet I know that most women aren't really interested in men that are like me "probably." 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:41:58 pm by ADHDandOCD »

Osprey

• View Profile
Re: TRT and Depression
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 05:53:40 pm »
Forum member Kierkegaard wrote an excellent article about it.

https://www.peaktestosterone.com/Help_Anxiety_Depression.aspx

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 05:53:40 pm »

ADHDandOCD

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 10:19:37 pm »

Sweet, thank you!

ADHDandOCD

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 10:24:14 pm »

Yeah excess norepi is hard to manage for me because of the need for HIGH stimulant doses, TRT, and other things. 

Practically speaking, even if certain meds aren't great for hormones life is life and I'd rather not be an overly unfocused and obsessive person, yet nobody wants to have imbalanced hormones lol.  It's honestly like a body and brain balance struggle in the way that I see it. 

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 10:24:14 pm »

Roguejim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:50:11 am »
In the podcast below, Dr. Gordon made this remark:

"...we used to get patients coming to us who are on testosterone four to six months later. They say, you know doc at the beginning of treatment. I felt really good, but now I don't feel as well [00:17:00] and that's because the use of testosterone shuts off another hormone luteinizing hormone that converts testosterone to pregnenolone and if that doesn't happen you lose these 11 regulatory hormones that deal with depression."

https://superhumanradio.net/shr-2291-we-pay-homage-to-dr-john-crisler

Flyingfool

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 05:41:09 pm »
^^^

Are you saying that possibly supplementing with pregnenolone could help with depression?
52 year old, 5’-7” and 165 lbs.
exercise:swim 3x/wk & marrial arts 2x/wk

Blood tested 9/19/18

Total = 580 ng/dL (250-827) 59.9%
Free T= 6.87 (4.6- 22.4) 12.8% (10.8 calc)

SHBG= 39 10.0-50.0) 72.5%

Bio-avail= 14.2 (110-575) 8.0%

DHES =not tested %

Estradiol = 22 (<39)

DHES =231 (38-313) =45.5% tested 2/14/18

Currently on 50mcg Synthroid (T4)
TSH = 0.99
Free T4 = 1.30 (0.80 - 1.80)  =50.0% of range
Free T3 = 3.3 (2.3-4.2) = 52.6% of range
Current protocol: 100mg DIM once per day. Reduction back from 200 mg. For 12 weeks. raised total T, freeT remained basically unchanged due to increases SHBG. Estradiol decrease from 30 to 22. Felt no better and maybe worse than at 100mg DIM so going back starting 9/25/18

HRD LVN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 08:10:40 pm »

"...we used to get patients coming to us who are on testosterone four to six months later. They say, you know doc at the beginning of treatment. I felt really good, but now I don't feel as well [00:17:00] and that's because the use of testosterone shuts off another hormone luteinizing hormone that converts testosterone to pregnenolone and if that doesn't happen you lose these 11 regulatory hormones that deal with depression."

11 regulatory hormones ? Dam, what about those of us that use HCG? It is suppose to minic LH.

I started TRT in my medical quest for deep depression(suicidal) with anxiety and panic attacks requiring perscription meds.
After 6 months of every blood, saliva, urine. Two MRI's. Low T was all they found.
That was 4 years ago. I no longer need any drugs or counselling.
The proper TRT protocol (sans bro-science and group think) the right food and exersize was my fix. I am back with the living.

I don't regret any of the tests even if they showed nothing I learned something and with forums/databases like this I was able to troubleshoot my unique condition and find possible solutions. Yes I needed a doc to write scripts but I figured it out what it took to feel alive again.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 08:16:53 pm by HRD LVN »

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 08:20:27 pm »
... I am back with the living.

I can identify with that. I was lucky that sexual side effects drove me to seek help and gave a decent hint of what could be wrong. The other symptoms were bad, but weren't pointing to hormonal issues—low-level depression, anxiety, dysphoria, etc. It's surprising how important testosterone can be for male mental health.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T enanthate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 70 mcg anastrozole qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid
7-12/2018 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL, E2: 31 pg/mL LC/MS-MS, DHEA-S: 264 ug/dL (49-344)—SHBG ~30 nmol/L

ADHDandOCD

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 04:12:13 pm »

So, does that mean anyone on TRT ALONE is now much more prone to depression since exogenous testosterone is basically causing deficiencies with LH, FSH, and pregnenolone (assuming the absence of HCG/Clomid Therapy)? 

HRD LVN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 05:22:13 pm »

So, does that mean anyone on TRT ALONE is now much more prone to depression since exogenous testosterone is basically causing deficiencies with LH, FSH, and pregnenolone (assuming the absence of HCG/Clomid Therapy)?

I did not watch the video you linked but is that what you got from it? .....OMG!

Roguejim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 06:25:50 pm »

I did not watch the video you linked but is that what you got from it? .....OMG!

Dr. Gordon did not indicate what percentage of guys would be affected by depression due to testosterone as a monotherapy.  He also did not indicate to what degree they would be affected.  As an example, one guy on Excelmale has been on T monotherapy for 2 years, and has never felt better.  Go figure.  On the other hand, shutting down the hormonal cascade due to T monotherapy gives me pause.  Dr. Crisler used to indicate that all his guys were on HCG to backfill the pathways, as a matter of common sense.  From my limited understanding of it all, if a guy was to supplement with pregnenolone and DHEA, HCG might not be necessary except to maintain fertility.

Go to 9:45 for Dr. Kominiarek's take on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYjw7mfGN_c

Osprey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 06:49:26 pm »

Dr. Gordon did not indicate what percentage of guys would be affected by depression due to testosterone as a monotherapy.  He also did not indicate to what degree they would be affected.  As an example, one guy on Excelmale has been on T monotherapy for 2 years, and has never felt better.  Go figure.  On the other hand, shutting down the hormonal cascade due to T monotherapy gives me pause.  Dr. Crisler used to indicate that all his guys were on HCG to backfill the pathways, as a matter of common sense.  From my limited understanding of it all, if a guy was to supplement with pregnenolone and DHEA, HCG might not be necessary except to maintain fertility.

Didn't watch the video but many, perhaps most, guys who supplement with pregnenolone and DHEA report no subjective benefits and a lot report negative effects. Those who report a benefit generally say it improves their sleep. Don't recall reading about anyone who said their depression got worse going on TRT mono and then got better when they started pregnenolone and DHEA, but there may be someone out there.

Roguejim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 07:01:57 pm »

Didn't watch the video but many, perhaps most, guys who supplement with pregnenolone and DHEA report no subjective benefits and a lot report negative effects. Those who report a benefit generally say it improves their sleep. Don't recall reading about anyone who said their depression got worse going on TRT mono and then got better when they started pregnenolone and DHEA, but there may be someone out there.

No way to know at this point how many experience negative effects, versus, how many experience positive benefits of any kind.  The Dr. Kominiarek video is only about a 4 minute listen.     

Osprey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 08:34:08 pm »

No way to know at this point how many experience negative effects, versus, how many experience positive benefits of any kind.  The Dr. Kominiarek video is only about a 4 minute listen.     

Do a search on any of the T forums on DHEA and pregnenolone supplementation experiences, then draw your own conclusions. :)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 08:34:08 pm »