Quantcast

Author Topic: TRT and Ferritin?  (Read 230 times)

HRD LVN

• View Profile
TRT and Ferritin?
« on: February 06, 2019, 12:17:12 pm »
Is there any onfo out there that just starting a hormone replacement will cause your ferritin to drop? or a prptocol change where the T dose was increased?
Just from the addition of adding T not from blood donations?

Since I crashed my ferritin a while back I monitor it at just about every blood test and mine seems to jump  around a lot.
I no longer donate blood but my protocol has been changed(T dose upped) and my ferritin has dropped from 109 to 45 in 5 months.
I have caught my labcorp in many mistakes in the past so I am just hoping this last blood test was yet another lab error.

DanMac

• View Profile
Re: TRT and Ferritin?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 05:00:09 am »
Interesting does Cataceous know if everyone has to check their FERRITIN levels then while taking exgenous T?? i never bothered to at all but i did feel less energy than other days, i don't know if this IRON related or estrogen spikes?
New protocol,  75mg twice weekly E5D of Sustanon

30+ year old Male from UK,  5 foot 9 1/2 tall. current weight 154  pounds, Heaviest Weight 185 Pounds,  BF % unchecked for long while.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 05:00:09 am »

DanMac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 05:01:46 am »
Now i will test Complete IRON status to make sure.
New protocol,  75mg twice weekly E5D of Sustanon

30+ year old Male from UK,  5 foot 9 1/2 tall. current weight 154  pounds, Heaviest Weight 185 Pounds,  BF % unchecked for long while.

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 05:48:26 am »
My impression is that it may be worthwhile to get a baseline for ferritin and rule out hemochromatosis. But it's more important to keep tabs on it when giving blood, as you want to avoid the kind of crash that "HRD LVN" mentions.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T enanthate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 70 mcg anastrozole qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid
7-12/2018 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL, E2: 31 pg/mL LC/MS-MS, DHEA-S: 264 ug/dL (49-344)—SHBG ~30 nmol/L

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 05:48:26 am »

david29

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 09:15:08 am »
its so wonderful that i have a community of people that have similar goals and thoughts and i we can discuss it anytime !

i was thinking about ferritin from yesterday after i started digging in to thyroid issues

here is what made me search info about ferritin:
https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/iron/

also dont forget to check our desktopbible:
https://www.peaktestosterone.com/Why_Men_Measure_Ferritin_Levels.aspx

i guess everybody should pull their ferritin and especially when on trt
it looks it plays very important role in whole hormone system
and i guess it can be that after one will fix his ferritin level to a proper level one could get proper level  of all hormones including testosterone
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:17:59 am by david29 »
Total Testosterone: 340 (248-836)
Free Testosterone: 97 (40-279)
FSH: 3.13 (1.5 - 12.4)
LH: 3.16 (1.7 - 8.6)
SHBG: 33.2 (18.3-54.1)
Estradiol: 14.62  (11.26-43.25)
Prolactin: 275.2 (86-324) 
 currently on test cyp 60mg twice a week

HRD LVN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 10:42:13 am »
its so wonderful that i have a community of people that have similar goals and thoughts and i we can discuss it anytime !

i was thinking about ferritin from yesterday after i started digging in to thyroid issues

here is what made me search info about ferritin:
https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/iron/

also dont forget to check our desktopbible:
https://www.peaktestosterone.com/Why_Men_Measure_Ferritin_Levels.aspx

i guess everybody should pull their ferritin and especially when on trt
it looks it plays very important role in whole hormone system
and i guess it can be that after one will fix his ferritin level to a proper level one could get proper level  of all hormones including testosterone
I David I do find it od that neither my PCP or Defy ever tested my Ferritin even though my protocol did raise my HCT to a level that I was instructed to donate blood. In fact that was how my ferritin crashed in the first place. LabCorp reported my HCt was 52.7 triggering the std defy email to donate blood and retest. The test came back HCT 46 yes 52.7 to 46 with one pint of blood.
Not feeling so well I spent 240 buck on a complete thyroid panel and the numbers can back not so good. I was told by a forum member not Defy that I should test my ferritin since that can cause my bad thyroid numbers. Sure enough my ferritin was 16 range 30-400

These screw ups cost me 8 month to recover my ferritin at a greatly reduced T dose. Only now am I getting back to something simular to normal.

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 05:59:31 pm »
I was under the impression that TRT would cause ferritin to rise.  The mechanism being that TRT causes more red blood cells which tend to contain more iron and ferritin. 

In your case, it is pretty easy to get your ferritin back.  Just take some iron pills and eat a lot of red meat.  Within 6-12 months your ferritin should be back above 50.  Low ferritin is not good as you well know.  But you want to be careful not to go too high as well.  Excess ferritin is highly damaging to your arterial health.
Protocol: 25 mg T Cyp + 25 IU HCG M,W,F + 2 clicks T Cream + 15mg DHEA + 15mg Pregnenalone daily.
12/2018 test results: TT: 1054 ng/dL (264-916), FT: 17.2 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 21.6 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0)

HRT Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 06:12:04 pm »
1, there is some new info about whether you need to donate and otherwise being misdiagnosed with PCV.
This is worth your time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynHXydSGRR0&t=1501s

2, you see this vicious cycle they get you in to with this misdiagnosis. You donate, which destroys your ferritin in short order. A few donations in the year will wreck your Ferritin and iron stores. Can lead to other problems but Thyroid is one as iron is needed in the T4>T3 conversion.
So they make you take iron, which quite possibly drives up your RBC/HCT, and then again acting on the misdiagnosis, push you to donate, again. Then they hammer you why your Ferritin is in the subterranean range.

there are a number of conditions I won't name but similar treatments with a similar result in HCT but those patients aren't being drained like this. Too, people living at elevation that high higher HCT/Etc numbers, they're not being drained, either.

More to the point, PCV is just misdiagnosed here. PCV is an increase in all blood factors...not just HCT., etc. What is happening in TRT is an entirely benign Erythrocytosis...look it up. Also, platelets are the clotting and thickening factor in your blood, so consider those numbers. 

Its food for thought/the more you know.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 06:12:04 pm »