Quantcast

Author Topic: What is your pregnenolone level?  (Read 416 times)

53chevy

• View Profile
What is your pregnenolone level?
« on: February 20, 2019, 09:49:55 pm »
Just curious if anybody has ever checked their pregnenolone levels, I would like to know what everybody's is. Pre and during trt would be great, with and/or without supplementation.

The reason why is I checked mine a year or so ago and it was 28. I've read in several places that the optimal levels for a man is 180 which is odd because labcorp range is <151. I'm not a big fan of lab ranges anyway but they do help to determine a ballpark figure.

I tried to get mine up to that level and couldn't quite get their. I was taking 600-900 mg a day of pregnenolone and I finally got it to 154 but my progesterone skyrocketed to 2.7.

What I found strange was that it brought my Co2 (bicarb) levels up from 18 to 23. I've been suffering from low Co2 (mild acidosis) for quite some time now and I believe this is why trt quit working for me. It makes me think that I need more or at least a normal level of pregnenolone in order to make the amount of aldosterone I need to bring my Co2 up. That's a really long story I've been working on for quite some time now with a little bit of success.

Anyway, if you have checked your preg levels then I'd love to what that level is.

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What is your pregnenolone level?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 05:54:05 am »
I have two measurements: 33 ng/dL when I'd just started TRT with Androgel, and 36 ng/dL after a couple years with injections. I've tried supplementing with relatively small amounts, 10-15 mg/d or less. But I never liked the long-term results, which usually included excess anxiety, so I'm not taking it at the moment.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T enanthate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 70 mcg anastrozole qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid
7-12/2018 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL, E2: 31 pg/mL LC/MS-MS, DHEA-S: 264 ug/dL (49-344)—SHBG ~30 nmol/L

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 05:54:05 am »

DanMac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 05:59:14 am »
is Pregnenolone essential for anything Cataceous since yours in been Lower range for Years, on T.R.T do you find if don't supplement it your T.R.T is off or anything?

or still function fine with Primarily Testosterone? i know few guys mentors even who done just TESTOSTERONE only for 15+ years one of them is Dr John crisler's long term friend JAY Campbell who runs TOT Testosterone Optimization therapy program. he just takes Testosterone only he says. no DHEA or preg for him over 10 plus years. his body makes sufficient amounts apparently? without supps?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 06:01:59 am by DanMac »
New protocol,  75mg twice weekly E5D of Sustanon

30+ year old Male from UK,  5 foot 9 1/2 tall. current weight 154  pounds, Heaviest Weight 185 Pounds,  BF % unchecked for long while.

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:56:47 am »
is Pregnenolone essential for anything Cataceous since yours in been Lower range for Years, on T.R.T do you find if don't supplement it your T.R.T is off or anything?

It appears that not enough is known about the significance of serum pregnenolone levels to say where in the range is optimal for any individual.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 18 mg T enanthate subQ qod, 250 IU hCG subQ qod, 70 mcg anastrozole qod, 6.25 mg DHEA orally bid
7-12/2018 test results: TT: 800 ng/dL, E2: 31 pg/mL LC/MS-MS, DHEA-S: 264 ug/dL (49-344)—SHBG ~30 nmol/L

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:56:47 am »

Sean Mosher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 11:51:30 am »
Don't know what my levels were pre-TRT or what they are now, but we titrated up to 60mg per day.
I just feel calmer, sleep better, etc... with it.
Patient Liaison
http://www.PrimeBody.com (CODE: PEAKTVIP for 10% Discount)
[Site Sponsor]

NOTE: Comments on this forum are NOT medical advice and are no substitute for individualized patient care. Please consult your personal physician prior to initiating or changing ANY treatment regimen.

sh1209

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 12:18:48 pm »
My theory is since your body is no longer making testosterone or DHEA to make testosterone and estrogen that it’s perfectly normal for the parent hormone to be low. I’ve never met or talked to an individual that benefited from raising pregnenolone. My thoughts are why wouldn’t it be low? It’s like adding an electric motor to your gasoline powered car, you’re obviously going to require less gasoline to make it move. The whole backfilling theory makes absolutely no sense at all.

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 12:58:00 pm »
My theory is since your body is no longer making testosterone or DHEA to make testosterone and estrogen that it’s perfectly normal for the parent hormone to be low. I’ve never met or talked to an individual that benefited from raising pregnenolone. My thoughts are why wouldn’t it be low? It’s like adding an electric motor to your gasoline powered car, you’re obviously going to require less gasoline to make it move. The whole backfilling theory makes absolutely no sense at all.

I wouldn't go that far. The argument is that other important uses of DHEA/PREG will suffer when/if concentrations are suppressed by TRT. It's plausible, but unproven as far as I know.

HRD LVN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 03:16:21 pm »
The argument is that other important uses of DHEA/PREG will suffer when/if concentrations are suppressed by TRT. It's plausible, but unproven as far as I know.
Do we even know what those other uses might be?
I had such a bad experience with supplementing DHEA I never consider trying to supplement pregnenolone.

53chevy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 05:26:00 pm »

I expect most everybody on trt has low preg levels but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's not bad. You've shut your balls down which, from what I've read, make a big portion of preg. It's obvious to me that I need more than what I'm making just because of the fact that when taking preg my Co2 levels go up.

I think what I'm going to do is stop the florinef for a few weeks but remain on my current dose of preg or possibly go up a little and then test preg and aldosterone and get a cbc/cmp to see where my Co2 is at and see if it is actually bringing up my aldosterone levels which brings my Co2 up or if something else might be brining up my Co2. It's gonna be bad because the heart palps will come back with a vengeance but I've put up with them for 3 years so I guess I can live with them for a few weeks.

sh1209

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 05:31:03 pm »
The overwhemoling majority of men on trt don’t tolerate ancillary drugs ie: DHEA, pregnenolone, progesterone, hcg etc... I’ve been at this over a decade with hundreds of hours of reading and this to me seems factual. The majority of men that do best on trt are on test only, no doubt about it.

53chevy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 09:18:08 pm »
The overwhemoling majority of men on trt don’t tolerate ancillary drugs ie: DHEA, pregnenolone, progesterone, hcg etc... I’ve been at this over a decade with hundreds of hours of reading and this to me seems factual. The majority of men that do best on trt are on test only, no doubt about it.

I'm not in the majority then because everything you listed helps me with the exception of hcg, it does nothing. And I also have hundreds if not thousands of hours of research and actual experimentation with various supplements with labs plus how I feel with and without each supplement.

Kierkegaard

• Hormone Shrink
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 10:27:39 pm »
Thierry Hertoghe (i.e., world's best endocrinologist, which isn't that hard really) labeled pregnenolone the "memory hormone".  According to Dr Mariano, it's a "crapshoot hormone" given that it can metabolize in many different directions, including progesterone and cortisol (good) or estradiol (bad).
"The same thing that makes you live can kill you in the end." -- Neil Young

March 2014: Dx low T (158ng/dl)
September 2015: Dx hypothyroidism, other adrenal hypofunction
2016: chronic fatigue, unspecified

Depression and anxiety guide: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Help_Anxiety_Depression.aspx

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 06:35:01 am »
The argument is that other important uses of DHEA/PREG will suffer when/if concentrations are suppressed by TRT. It's plausible, but unproven as far as I know.
Do we even know what those other uses might be?

Its behavior as a neurosteroid seems potentially important:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Pregnenolone is an allosteric endocannabinoid, as it is a negative allosteric modulator of the CB1 receptor. ...

Pregnenolone has been found to bind with high, nanomolar affinity to microtubule-associated protein 2 (MAP2) in the brain. ... Pregnenolone was found to induce tubule polymerization in neuronal cultures and to increase neurite growth in PC12 cells treated with nerve growth factor.[7][8] As such, pregnenolone may control formation and stabilization of microtubules in neurons and may affect both neural development during prenatal development and neural plasticity during aging.

Although pregnenolone itself does not possess these activities, its metabolite pregnenolone sulfate is a negative allosteric modulator of the GABAA receptor[9] as well as a positive allosteric modulator of the NMDA receptor.[10][11] In addition, pregnenolone sulfate has been shown to activate the transient receptor potential M3 (TRPM3) ion channel in hepatocytes and pancreatic islets causing calcium entry and subsequent insulin release.
Pregnenolone has been found to act as an agonist of the pregnane X receptor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnenolone#Biological_activity

HRT Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 04:09:58 pm »
Pregnenolone is a tough test, or a factor that is hard to test, accurately, and is typically rather expensive especially if you're paying retail or OOP. Progesterone is a better, cheaper test, is one rung under Preg in the hormonal cascade and will generally tell you if your Preg level is sufficient enough.

Though I concur with a poster above that this back filling is just not worth it. The benefits are entirely subjective to the user.

https://www.discountedlabs.com/pregnenolone

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 06:43:58 pm »
I think what I'm going to do is stop the florinef for a few weeks but remain on my current dose of preg or possibly go up a little and then test preg and aldosterone and get a cbc/cmp to see where my Co2 is at and see if it is actually bringing up my aldosterone levels which brings my Co2 up or if something else might be brining up my Co2. It's gonna be bad because the heart palps will come back with a vengeance but I've put up with them for 3 years so I guess I can live with them for a few weeks.
Do you see any impact on blood pressure levels taking the florinef?
Protocol: 25 mg T Cyp + 25 IU HCG M,W,F + 2 clicks T Cream + 15mg DHEA + 15mg Pregnenalone daily.
12/2018 test results: TT: 1054 ng/dL (264-916), FT: 17.2 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 21.6 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 06:43:58 pm »