Quantcast

Author Topic: To donate blood or not? Iron vs Ferritin  (Read 646 times)

HRD LVN

• View Profile
To donate blood or not? Iron vs Ferritin
« on: February 22, 2019, 09:20:35 am »
I have always had problems keeping my ferritin up since I started TRT.
This is the first time my iron has been this high.
I am taking no supplements I just eat a lot of red meat.

I would like your thoughts on the high iron and if you think I should donate a pint.
I have not donated in over a year. On a side note I live at alitude and my HCT runs 50.3 right now

Gengiskhan

• View Profile
Re: To donate blood or not? Iron vs Ferritin
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 09:28:26 am »
Why do you want to increase your ferritin?

Ferritin is not your iron, it is just a deposit in your body, and it is better to keep it low since high ferritin is linked to a lot of diseases.

TRT and Testosterone both decrease ferritin since Testosterone promotes erytrhropoies. So body needs iron to take iron from stores to make new red blood cells. You have an iron deficiency  when your iron blood level (not ferritin) and you reed blood cells are too low. If your hemoglobin red blood cells are enough iron is fine.

Donating blood is good for the body since it reduces iron stores (ferritin) and lot of diseases risks. So keep continue to donate blood, you also help other people.

For high iron ask to a doctor.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:32:54 am by Gengiskhan »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 09:28:26 am »

HRD LVN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 10:14:13 am »
Why do you want to increase your ferritin?

Ferritin is not your iron, it is just a deposit in your body, and it is better to keep it low since high ferritin is linked to a lot of diseases.

TRT and Testosterone both decrease ferritin since Testosterone promotes erytrhropoies. So body needs iron to take iron from stores to make new red blood cells. You have an iron deficiency  when your iron blood level (not ferritin) and you reed blood cells are too low. If your hemoglobin red blood cells are enough iron is fine.

Donating blood is good for the body since it reduces iron stores (ferritin) and lot of diseases risks. So keep continue to donate blood, you also help other people.

For high iron ask to a doctor.
Thank you for your post.
So would you say I was healther here?
I thought ferritin played a major role in thyroid function.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 10:23:08 am by HRD LVN »

Gengiskhan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 10:23:28 am »
your welcome.

Some authors suggest to have ferritin around 20-30, others around 50. All say to keep it under above the limit (your lab says 30) and under 100.  Also in the hospital where I went in hematologist ward most of doctors say to keep it under 100.  So I assume all values between 20-30-70 (not a big gap) could be fine, indeed if hematocrit and red blood cells are high you don't need to worry about it. If you have low iron I believe the first clear sing is low red blood cells, hemoglobin and hematocrit.

This guy wrote a book only on iron & ferritin, there are a lot of interesting articles on his blog:

http://roguehealthandfitness.com/high-iron-leads-to-low-testosterone/

http://roguehealthandfitness.com/iron-levels/

http://roguehealthandfitness.com/blood-donors-live-longer/

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 10:34:28 am by Gengiskhan »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 10:23:28 am »

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 08:07:24 pm »
Did you just start eating a lot of red meat?  I had a similar situation as you, high iron, lowish ferritin.  This happened because I donated blood, which dropped my ferritin too low.  I wanted to get my ferritin levels back up.  So I started taking iron pills.  What happened then is that my iron levels went up, like yours.  But it took a few more months for my ferritin to rise up again.  If you are like me, your ferritin should start increasing in a few months. 

On the other hand it is possible that your body is not like mine and will do something else.  But I wanted to share my experience.
Protocol: 25 mg T Cyp + 25 IU HCG M,W,F + 2 clicks T Cream + 15mg DHEA + 15mg Pregnenalone daily.
12/2018 test results: TT: 1054 ng/dL (264-916), FT: 17.2 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 21.6 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0)

HRD LVN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 09:31:20 pm »
Thanks Joe for your comments.
I've been on a high protein diet low carb medium good fats, no keto, for the last 3 years so no real changed there.
My blood has been all over the place since I started TRT. I used to donate blood but no more.
That ferritin of 15 was from 4 blood donation 2 months apart.

I was on iron and VitC for about 8 months and got my ferritin back up to 109 and I stopped the supplements that was a year ago.
Why my ferritin is half of the 109 I don't have a clue other than I suspect my LabCorp is a joke they error a lot.
Now that I have medicare insurance when I get what I consider a stupid blood number from them
I go to my local hospital and have that value retested with the hospitals lab.

Gengiskhan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 01:23:40 am »
Did you read articles? Do you take iron supplements knowing all damages caused by iron?

Joe Sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 03:09:25 pm »
Thanks Joe for your comments.
I've been on a high protein diet low carb medium good fats, no keto, for the last 3 years so no real changed there.
My blood has been all over the place since I started TRT. I used to donate blood but no more.
That ferritin of 15 was from 4 blood donation 2 months apart.

I was on iron and VitC for about 8 months and got my ferritin back up to 109 and I stopped the supplements that was a year ago.
Why my ferritin is half of the 109 I don't have a clue other than I suspect my LabCorp is a joke they error a lot.
Now that I have medicare insurance when I get what I consider a stupid blood number from them
I go to my local hospital and have that value retested with the hospitals lab.
Yes the 15 is troubling.  But it looks like you were able to get it to come up rather nicely.
Protocol: 25 mg T Cyp + 25 IU HCG M,W,F + 2 clicks T Cream + 15mg DHEA + 15mg Pregnenalone daily.
12/2018 test results: TT: 1054 ng/dL (264-916), FT: 17.2 pg/mL (7.2-24), E2: 21.6 pg/mL sensitive (8.0-35.0)

HRD LVN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 03:21:45 pm »
Did you read articles? Do you take iron supplements knowing all damages caused by iron?
No I followed my doctors instructions to recover my ferritin since they crashed my ferritin with all the blood donation requests from high HCT.
Since I could no longer donate and I know having a Free T of over 30 with the labcorp high range being 18 was the cause of my HCT I cut my T dose to 70mg/wk for over 8 months that and the iron  and vit C got my HCT and ferritin back in check.

I am now slowly increasing my T dose and watching my Free T making sure it does not go over even on peak days. I do many mini blood test between my 6 month checkups.

HRT Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 04:06:13 pm »
Then other Dr's and such will tell you Ferritin <150 is bad. The point is it's all conjecture and speculation on what and who you want to believe for your own health. Hard to navigate this issue like so many others.

Mr.L

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 10:11:49 am »

I would like your thoughts on the high iron and if you think I should donate a pint.
I have not donated in over a year. On a side note I live at alitude and my HCT runs 50.3 right now

I would be very interested in what Dr. Saya has to say about this issue. I have had low ferritin for a while and have a hard time keeping it up. I started iron sup and hematocrit got just slightly elevated. It seems to be a delicate balancing act (kind of like hormones 'eh). I know I feel very sluggish with a ferritin of 15 but high iron can be problematic as well I assume.   

HRD LVN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 05:12:28 pm »

I would be very interested in what Dr. Saya has to say about this issue. I have had low ferritin for a while and have a hard time keeping it up. I started iron sup and hematocrit got just slightly elevated. It seems to be a delicate balancing act (kind of like hormones 'eh). I know I feel very sluggish with a ferritin of 15 but high iron can be problematic as well I assume.
I don't really feel any different between a 15 ferritin and 109 same with my iron which is now over range.
I don't like my iron being this high just from what I have read from googling.
I am still trying to deside if I should go give a pint.
My 6 month consult was last week and I was told it was up to me they were fine either way. My HCT was 50.3

Mr.L

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 07:34:03 am »

I don't really feel any different between a 15 ferritin and 109 same with my iron which is now over range.
I don't like my iron being this high just from what I have read from googling.
I am still trying to deside if I should go give a pint.
My 6 month consult was last week and I was told it was up to me they were fine either way. My HCT was 50.3

And you are a defy patient?

HRD LVN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 10:45:08 am »

Mr.L

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 05:45:57 pm »
And you are a defy patient?

yes

I think it takes a while to increase your ferritin. I also think 15 is too low.  Your hematocrit isn't really high so I imagine that is why they told you you could donate if you wanted or not. I think that level probably isn't of concern in the short term but probably want to keep an eye on it. I personally wouldn't donate until I had high red blood cells or my iron was chronically high and my ferritin was higher than 15. Seems like your ferritin should rise in the presence of the higher iron. But honestly I do not know what the hell I am talking about just speculating really.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 05:45:57 pm »