Quantcast

Author Topic: Can Eating Nitrates Cause Cancer?  (Read 2092 times)

fixme

• View Profile
Can Eating Nitrates Cause Cancer?
« on: June 16, 2013, 03:06:36 am »
I did read your comment on nitrosamines.  You mentioned that nitrates can be converted to nitrites, which can further turn into nitrosamines.  The final product is known to cause cancer.

However, I didn't really understand how to protect that.  If I eat beets, spinich, and other high nitrate foods, am I more likely to get cancer?

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Can Eating Nitrates Cause Cancer?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 05:20:41 am »
I did read your comment on nitrosamines.  You mentioned that nitrates can be converted to nitrites, which can further turn into nitrosamines.  The final product is known to cause cancer.

However, I didn't really understand how to protect that.  If I eat beets, spinich, and other high nitrate foods, am I more likely to get cancer?

Here is the situation and Dr. Bryan discusses some of this at length and so I recommend his books

1.  Nitrosamines in isolation can definitely be cancerous.  They are in cigarrette smoke for example.
2.  You need amines to couple with the nitrates to get nitrosamines.  So you could avoid amines to play it safe.  I am kinding of doing that.

However, there are some very good reasons NOT to worry about this:

1.  There is NO evidence that eating high nitrate foods is correlated to cancer.  Seriously, can you imagine carrots or spinach being correlated to cancer?  I can't.  But, if you can, then avoid higher amine foods 2 hours before and after your high nitrate meals.

One of the reasons for this is that flavonoids in foods will actually turn the nitrosamine formation off and make it cancer protective according to some research.  Example:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16413414
"The reaction of flavanols with nitrous acid protects against N-nitrosamine formation and leads to the formation of nitroso derivatives which inhibit cancer cell growth."

There is a lot of evidence that nitrates in processed meats and possibly red meats can cause GI cancer.  Now it may be some other compound that causes this or  it could a different factor such as the fact there are no flavonoids.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 05:23:40 am by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

Re: Can Eating Nitrates Cause Cancer?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 05:20:41 am »