Quantcast

Author Topic: Chronic Electrolyte Deficiencies/Muscle Cramps Daily  (Read 243 times)

StephCurryFtw

• 25,TRT@14, family:^Chol., low T, low thyro, etc...
    • View Profile
Chronic Electrolyte Deficiencies/Muscle Cramps Daily
« on: January 31, 2021, 09:12:14 am »
I am experiencing a lot of muscle cramping.  I visited my local PA and he said that hydration and stretching may help.  It is usually my calves, hamstrings, lower back, or some deep inner thigh muscles that cramp up right when i stand up from sitting for a bit called the psoas major and minor. 

I am struggling to get enough potassium, magnesium, and calcium in my diet.  I take a multivitamin every day and also take a potassium and magnesium aspartate supplement.  However, my labs continue to show only very little electrolyte improvement. 

I am wondering if prescription electrolyte supplements are a thing because I canít seem to get adequate amounts from my diet alone and even with supplements, too! 

December 17th, 2020:

TT: 543.85 ng/dL (245-970 ng/dL)
FT: 11.82 pg/mL (47-293 pg/mL)
Prolactin: 25.76 ng/mL (3-13 ng/mL)
SHBG: 8.69 nmol/L (10-40 nmol/L)
E2: 25.26 pg/mL (10-40 pg/mL)
DHEA-S: 629.71 mg/dL (280-640 mg/dL)
Cortisol @ 8 A.M.: 23.64 mcg/dL (10-20 mcg/dL)
TSH: 2.38 mIU/L (0.5-4.15 mIU/L)
T3: 137.63 ng/dL (100-200 ng/dL)
T4: 1.39 ng/dL (0.8-1.8 ng/dL)
(Reverse) T3: 15.37 ng/dL (9.2-24.1 ng/dL)
FSH: 4.36 mIU/mL (1.5-12.4 mIU/mL)
LH: 3.66 IU/L (1.24-7.8 IU/L)

seppuku

• View Profile
Re: Chronic Electrolyte Deficiencies/Muscle Cramps Daily
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 09:30:13 am »
I am experiencing a lot of muscle cramping.  I visited my local PA and he said that hydration and stretching may help.  It is usually my calves, hamstrings, lower back, or some deep inner thigh muscles that cramp up right when i stand up from sitting for a bit called the psoas major and minor. 

I am struggling to get enough potassium, magnesium, and calcium in my diet.  I take a multivitamin every day and also take a potassium and magnesium aspartate supplement.  However, my labs continue to show only very little electrolyte improvement. 

I am wondering if prescription electrolyte supplements are a thing because I canít seem to get adequate amounts from my diet alone and even with supplements, too!

I used to get cramps really bad, especially during the night after working out. Regular salt was the only thing that stopped them. I've always taken magnesium supps and used lo salt for the potassium, but it was sodium that cured mine

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 09:30:13 am »

doin it

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 02:28:22 am »

Do you drink a lot of water every day?  If so, it is possible you are washing those electrolytes out of your system.  Remember water plus milk plus cokes plus beer, etc. is total liquid for the day.

As an aside, a urologist told me one time that for my weight at that time, about 174, I should not drink more than about eighty ounces a day.  Because more than that and the kidneys start having to work instead if just going along doing their thing.

StephCurryFtw

• 25,TRT@14, family:^Chol., low T, low thyro, etc...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 06:42:38 am »

Do you drink a lot of water every day?  If so, it is possible you are washing those electrolytes out of your system.  Remember water plus milk plus cokes plus beer, etc. is total liquid for the day.

As an aside, a urologist told me one time that for my weight at that time, about 174, I should not drink more than about eighty ounces a day.  Because more than that and the kidneys start having to work instead if just going along doing their thing.

That is interesting!  Iíve never heard of someone setting a limit on fluid consumption based on body weight.  I have never thought of such a thing before.  I wonder how they calculate the ounces per day and with what variables they would consider in affecting how they calculate ounces per day? 

I drink a lot of diet black tea.  I should drink more regular tap water or purified water, I know.  I am so lazy with having to pour out glasses of whatever. 

I should honestly just buy bottled water that is purified and drink that.  I donít really supplement with much but a generic Centrum multivitamin.  My diet doesnít have a lot of potassium or magnesium, though.  I donít get all that much calcium, but Iíve been trying to improve on that while also trying to avoid dairy.  Potassium is an annoying one because I feel like you have to intentionally buy foods with it or know what to eat that has it otherwise it can easily become low. 

I am on HCTZ for my blood pressure and I hear that that can lower electrolytes from urinating more?  That might be part of my problem.  I do have hypertension though, so Iím not sure I should just not take HCTZ.  Maybe I need a new hypertension pill or something is what I am thinking. 
December 17th, 2020:

TT: 543.85 ng/dL (245-970 ng/dL)
FT: 11.82 pg/mL (47-293 pg/mL)
Prolactin: 25.76 ng/mL (3-13 ng/mL)
SHBG: 8.69 nmol/L (10-40 nmol/L)
E2: 25.26 pg/mL (10-40 pg/mL)
DHEA-S: 629.71 mg/dL (280-640 mg/dL)
Cortisol @ 8 A.M.: 23.64 mcg/dL (10-20 mcg/dL)
TSH: 2.38 mIU/L (0.5-4.15 mIU/L)
T3: 137.63 ng/dL (100-200 ng/dL)
T4: 1.39 ng/dL (0.8-1.8 ng/dL)
(Reverse) T3: 15.37 ng/dL (9.2-24.1 ng/dL)
FSH: 4.36 mIU/mL (1.5-12.4 mIU/mL)
LH: 3.66 IU/L (1.24-7.8 IU/L)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 06:42:38 am »

doin it

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 05:30:44 am »

There are popular books* written that claim that if you always consume more potassium than sodium, your blood pressure will be normal.

It says you should always buy canned goods with at least as much potassium as sodium, preferably 2 to 1 ratio.

I quit salt (sodium chloride) about 15 years ago.  As a substitute,   I use "Nu-Salt" which is Potassium Chloride.  Comes in a little shaker, available at grocery stores and Amazon.

The High Blood Pressure Solution: A Scientifically Proven Program for Preventing Strokes and Heart Disease

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 05:30:44 am »