Quantcast

Author Topic: Just beginning my low t journey  (Read 20291 times)

Envious1320

• View Profile
Just beginning my low t journey
« on: April 23, 2012, 05:20:11 pm »
I am about to turn 30 but have been feeling like crap for atleast 2 years.

Always wondered why I could but on zero muscle mass no matter how hard I worked and clean I ate.(5'8 150lbs skinny build) My interests were fading fast, sex drive almost gone and the best way to describe it was I was just "existing" Went and got tested a week ago. Get the call that yes my T is low and I need to go in and talk about options.

Here are my labs which were done at 6:30am and all my other numbers came out find such as rbc and wbc, blood pressure is good
Total test 296 ng/dL (286-1510 ng/dL range)
Free test 71 pg/mL (47 - 244 pg/mL range)
TSH 2.29 uIU/mL
FSH 1.1 mIU/mL (1.4-18.1 mIU/mL)
LH 2.4 mIU/mL (1.5 - 9.3 mIU/mL)

Feels like I am low but would like some other opinions. Now after 3 more visits I have MRI scheduled to look at my pituitary and make sure there is nothing wrong with it. Feel like maybe I am just spinning my wheels and not getting anywhere.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Just beginning my low t journey
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:42:23 pm »
Well, it's best to let the docs really check you out and run whatever tests they deem necessary.  Yes, your T is low and I'm not surprised you are having symptoms.  Most good docs look at your symptoms also and, of course, you've got some of the classic low T symptoms. 

I've got to ask you these q's:

--Are you overweight by any chance?
--Having you bee dieting?
--How do you sleep?
--Any medications?

Btw, I've known guys that have put on some muscle, including myself, in spite of being low T.  It's much more slow, but it can be done.  I'm not saying anyone wants to do that, but you want to make you're getting enough protein and calories.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:42:23 pm »

feelgood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:56:51 pm »
right, seems like they start off with the MRI. That's how i started my "journey." It came back clean, and chances are yours will too.

My journey quickened its pace soon after that, but that's really dependent on the doctor. Are you seeing a male hormone (read: T friendly)/male fertility specific urologist?

If not, you need to get searching and get to one. My primary care was clueless (expected), and then the endocronologist i saw was an improvement, but not vastly. It was the third try that was my lucky charm in terms of really seeing things move forward.  So i'd say go urologist, and one that has written about, spoken about, or at least TALKS about T on their practice website.

Good luck.

Envious1320

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:04:17 pm »
Well, it's best to let the docs really check you out and run whatever tests they deem necessary.  Yes, your T is low and I'm not surprised you are having symptoms.  Most good docs look at your symptoms also and, of course, you've got some of the classic low T symptoms. 

I've got to ask you these q's:

--Are you overweight by any chance?
--Having you bee dieting?
--How do you sleep?
--Any medications?

Btw, I've known guys that have put on some muscle, including myself, in spite of being low T.  It's much more slow, but it can be done.  I'm not saying anyone wants to do that, but you want to make you're getting enough protein and calories.

Thanks for getting back to me.
To answer your questions. Nope not over weight at all, my diet has been super clean however get plenty of mono and ply fats. I have tried everything that I have heard of for bulking including have protein up around 280 grams and carbs much more then that and cals around 3500 to 4k, all i did was put weight around my midsection even while exercising. My sleep is okay not great, and I take no medications at all.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:04:17 pm »

Envious1320

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 09:08:39 pm »
right, seems like they start off with the MRI. That's how i started my "journey." It came back clean, and chances are yours will too.

My journey quickened its pace soon after that, but that's really dependent on the doctor. Are you seeing a male hormone (read: T friendly)/male fertility specific urologist?

If not, you need to get searching and get to one. My primary care was clueless (expected), and then the endocronologist i saw was an improvement, but not vastly. It was the third try that was my lucky charm in terms of really seeing things move forward.  So i'd say go urologist, and one that has written about, spoken about, or at least TALKS about T on their practice website.

Good luck.

No I am just currently at my primary care. When the first low test blood work came back he said he would have given it to me no problem but wanted to give me another bloodwork just to make sure. It too came back less then 300ng and he started to back off and say oh well you are within the range so that cant be it. I have been pushing just to get this far. I was thinking about going to see a urologist just wanted to see if this mri would play out. Thanks for the advice as there is a urologist that excepting new patients for low test I just found

FightLowT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:10:45 pm »

Good luck.

No I am just currently at my primary care. When the first low test blood work came back he said he would have given it to me no problem but wanted to give me another bloodwork just to make sure. It too came back less then 300ng and he started to back off and say oh well you are within the range so that cant be it. I have been pushing just to get this far. I was thinking about going to see a urologist just wanted to see if this mri would play out. Thanks for the advice as there is a urologist that excepting new patients for low test I just found

I had levels very similar to yours and dealt with qwaks just like your ridiculous qwak. You see these qwaks don't like it when they have to actually deal with something or treat a patient especially when it's something you know more about than they do. It puts pressure on the qwaks to not have to be lazy and the little qwaks don't like that because they went through all that "school" so they can get their paycheck, live in the big house, drive the fancy car, and have the trophy wife. You, the "overly-imaginiative , all in your head" low T guy is asking the qwak to actually do his job and bless his heart why should he have to do anything else but tell someone in his own words to F--- off. I mean you are afterall a good 50 points above an absolutely horrifical, metabolic syndrome inducing, diabetes risking, ED promoting, alzheimer increasing, low-libido generating, and heart failure associated low T level. First Fire the qwak's silly,little ass then tell him why he's being fired , and of course don't forget to let him know what an irreprehensibly,worthless uneducated, shame to the profession he is ( or you could call him an ass pirate). Can you tell I would absolutely love to do it for you? lol...Ask the qwak if he honestly believes a guy 50 points over what a 105 year old man's testosterone levels are ( probably higher in all reality :o) really feels any better than the poor bastard that is 240...

When I first noticed I had problems was back when I hit 30,31. I went to the doc out of the blue from feeling like crap and got a morning sample taken and it came to 294 ng/dl. I've had levels in the mid 300's some mornings and recently had one that was 400 ( man watch out thats really high  ::). By the way some good news is that more labs are moving from that abysmal 240 entry mark and closer to 300-350 entry readings now. Your levels in my opinion are indeed hypogonadal. At 296 you are more than likely going to be below 200 at the end of the day due to the drop off which ranges from a 15-30% decrease throughout the day. I have been checked before at a hospital at 6pm and mine came to 199 ng/dl...I've said it once and I will say it again. There is absolutely no reason at all for a man to fall into the 300's let alone 200's, or dare me puke some blood 100's at any time of the day, night, eclipse, apocalypse etc..I would love to hear a qwak's justification for allowing that. It would probably make about as much sense or have the same intellectual merit as a turd falling out of my butt and making a nice gurgling splash as it hit the water in the toilet.

Based on what your numbers show it would seem you are showing signs of classical secondary hypogonadism. Both your LH and FSH are low as well as your total T and free T. HCG may be a viable option for treatment but you may also have to rely on exogenous T supplementation.

Get a real doctor brother!! Let the duck play in his pond of ignorance. Educated patients are eventually going to demand more knowledge be illustrated by doctors and the ones that do not have this knowledge are going to be phased out and given mops to clean peep booths where they belong..
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:31:38 pm by FightLowT »

spiderman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 04:07:38 am »
LOL..nice one FightlowT!....yip everyone on here has that common theme of docs either being dismissive, lacking the knowledge and/or  looking at you like you are some sort of alien!... Seems they simply have not been given  the education of this life threatining situ in med school ...how could they miss that?.. All of us on here are way above their heads now with what we know..but we are not supposed to be the educated ones!

There must be at least a few docs checking this site out.. so come on post, and give us some feedback on why you are lacking when it comes to treating the most important aspect of a guys life and as important, the health issues that are actually attached to having low T...

Mentioned before..makes me feel like going back to Uni, getting some med ed, and starting  a low T clinic after graduating!...grrr getting angry again

Something has got to give in the medical community...PERIOD!

Envious1320

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 03:41:38 pm »
Okay so my MRI is back and came back clean, so here I sit still with low t and no soloution as of yet. To quote the letter I got from the doc,"No clear cause of low testosterone being low."

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 04:38:22 pm »
Okay so my MRI is back and came back clean, so here I sit still with low t and no soloution as of yet. To quote the letter I got from the doc,"No clear cause of low testosterone being low."
Most men don't know what caused their low testosterone.  Sometimes it's obvious:  tumor, obesity, syndrome, etc.  But usually you don't know the exact cause, so you're not alone on that.

Your T is clearly at the level where many doctors will treat you, especially since you are having classic low testosterone symptoms.  What are your doctors saying at this point though?
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Envious1320

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 05:45:30 pm »
Most men don't know what caused their low testosterone.  Sometimes it's obvious:  tumor, obesity, syndrome, etc.  But usually you don't know the exact cause, so you're not alone on that.

Your T is clearly at the level where many doctors will treat you, especially since you are having classic low testosterone symptoms.  What are your doctors saying at this point though?

I am waiting to see, I just got the results back this morning and that quote I gave was what was at the bottom of the letter. In the beginning it seemed like he had no problem with going done the TRT route but as things progressed he backed off. Not sure if I should look for someone that specializes in this or continue with my primary.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 06:10:59 pm »
Based on emails and forum posting, most PCPs are ill-prepared to handle HRT/hypogonadism.  If he/she has taken the time to do some research, then you may be okay, but I would interview your doc and find out how much he/she knows.  Many PCPs - and I'm not being derogatory here but just factual - are living back in the 90's as far as basic knowledge. on this subject.

Usually there are certain urologists and/or endocrinologists that specialize in these sort of issues and it can take some research and trial and error to find them.  If you can, I would actually go to both of these:  the urologist can look for things like varicoceles and venous leakage and can handle pellets if you become int'd in those.  And a good endo should be much better at looking at your entire hormonal profile (estrogen, prolactin, etc.) in case there are any issues.

But most PCPs will have no idea about any of the above or just have a cursory knowledge.  Again, just a few questions and you should be able to find what your PCP knows.

The more good docs involved, the better.  You have to do your part and they should do theirs.

Envious1320

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 06:34:30 pm »
Based on emails and forum posting, most PCPs are ill-prepared to handle HRT/hypogonadism.  If he/she has taken the time to do some research, then you may be okay, but I would interview your doc and find out how much he/she knows.  Many PCPs - and I'm not being derogatory here but just factual - are living back in the 90's as far as basic knowledge. on this subject.

Usually there are certain urologists and/or endocrinologists that specialize in these sort of issues and it can take some research and trial and error to find them.  If you can, I would actually go to both of these:  the urologist can look for things like varicoceles and venous leakage and can handle pellets if you become int'd in those.  And a good endo should be much better at looking at your entire hormonal profile (estrogen, prolactin, etc.) in case there are any issues.

But most PCPs will have no idea about any of the above or just have a cursory knowledge.  Again, just a few questions and you should be able to find what your PCP knows.

The more good docs involved, the better.  You have to do your part and they should do theirs.

Yeah that is kind of what I was thinking the problem is that most endo's and  urologists are out multiple months, closest I could find so far is end of July. Makes it frustrating. Will just keep digging I suppose but waiting that long seems like a road I dont want to go done to possibly have to start most of the way over again. Thoughts?

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 07:09:24 pm »
from what i have learned i wouldnt let a primary care doctor manage a trt program anyway, unless maybe it was a primary problem.  based on your lh and fsh you appear to be secondary, which they wouldn't even know what that meant. 

Envious1320

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 07:33:03 pm »
Well I have learned enough that I think as long as I can work with the doc we can manage one together. I already have an idea on the route I want to go now its just getting the actual prescription. I dont have a problem with seeing and endo or urologist but the 3 month wait to even get started with the process I do have a problem with. With my mri coming back clean and with lh and fsh being so low I figure this may be the best way to go.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 09:12:21 pm »
I know low T is miserable and so you have to do what you have to do.  My only comment, though, is that, if you are int'd, other options may very well work for you besides just straight HRT.  Not that there is anything wrong with HRT - it's well-studied and looks good so far in the research to date.  But I'm just pointing out that a good endo or urologist may be able to get you going w/ Clomid or HCG.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 09:12:21 pm »